Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
It would be an MA in International Affairs, or a Master in International Policy (MIP). Primarily looking at analyst jobs.
At the State Department, I don't think a Master's degree is an absolute requirement for analyst jobs, but jus about every analyst I know has at least a Master's degree. These days, I think it is an important factor in being competitive unless you have very relevant experience. The Foreign Service side of the house is one of the places in the US Government where an advanced degree is least required. Entrance is largely exam-based, so having an advanced degree is not a major factor. About half of entering FSOs do have an advanced degree, but many of those degrees are not directly related to the work of the Foreign Service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,180 times
Most of the masters degrees that federal employees have are useless degrees in things like Public Administration or Communications that are acquired just for checking a box on your application so you can get the GS-11 rating. Anyone with a few years experience in the workforce will know more than you would ever learn getting a MA degree in Public Administration. Far too many people in their late 20s have racked up $50,000 in student loan debt for useless masters degrees.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Most of the masters degrees that federal employees have are useless degrees in things like Public Administration or Communications that are acquired just for checking a box on your application so you can get the GS-11 rating. Anyone with a few years experience in the workforce will know more than you would ever learn getting a MA degree in Public Administration. Far too many people in their late 20s have racked up $50,000 in student loan debt for useless masters degrees.
Agree with this. Some Master's Degrees are basically status symbols and should be regarded as such. I have a friend who got one and she regrets it - and not just because of the SLs.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Thanks for all the help from everybody. A lot of the job postings that I have looked at mention an advanced degree, but others are unclear. I believe a Masters would qualify me as a GS-9 (?), would it be harder to get a job starting here than say a GS-7 or 8 with a Bachlors? My BA is in International Studies, by Masters would be an MA in International Affairs/Studies or a Masters of International Policy. Job field isn't nailed down yet, and I'm open to many possibilities.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 AM

158 posts, read 332,920 times
There are a multitude of reasons to get a degree, with competitiveness within the job market, self-investment and self-growth, networking, and "never regretting not doing it" to name a few. If you think it through and you really look at it as value-added from multiple points of view, then the money will never equate to the long-term returns it will bring beyond JUST a financial standpoint.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
If you want to work in the policy world, that MA will be important.. Suck it up... Possibly even a law degree. Just have to hustle to pay off that debt.

I have a Master's in Public Policy. I currently work at the Department of Education in the Office of Postsecondary Education and it is hard to move up around here without an advanced degree. However, our top boss only has a Bachelor's.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM

36 posts, read 107,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Thanks for all the help from everybody. A lot of the job postings that I have looked at mention an advanced degree, but others are unclear. I believe a Masters would qualify me as a GS-9 (?), would it be harder to get a job starting here than say a GS-7 or 8 with a Bachlors? My BA is in International Studies, by Masters would be an MA in International Affairs/Studies or a Masters of International Policy. Job field isn't nailed down yet, and I'm open to many possibilities.
There is zero consistency among postings according to the consultants I've spoken with. Generally speaking, a graduate degree is sufficient for a GS9, but not always, and a GS9 will be easier to get into than GS11 as "entry level" for someone who does not have experience in government.

It's not just the degree, but your specific experience related to the duties and position you're applying for and how your resume matches the job posting with the "government-speak" --- which is very different than a private sector resume. Read up on a couple of books including The Book of US Government Jobs (Damp) and How To Land A Top Paying Federal Job (Whiteman). Used copies are pretty cheap on Amazon, and they're at most libraries.

And it's a numbers game. Don't get set on one profession or one agency. And be prepared to wait. And wait.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post

If you really want to get a Master's don't let comments like this deter you. I've heard stuff like this both on and offline but I got my MPA and it was the best decision I could've made career-wise. I landed a gov job about 6 months after graduating and my boss told me that my MPA - the school and coursework - was a big factor in hiring me. I do hate writing that loan repayment check every month but I'm able to make the payments plus some, which is a blessing.

I do think you might have a tough time finding an intl policy job but it's def not impossible! With a bachelor's you'll meet the minimum qualifications for GS-7 positions. Apply for lots of them. And then if you decide you want to go to grad school later on or that it'll help you advance, DC has plenty of programs geared towards working professionals. I have a good friend and a few aquaintances who work in intl policy as gov employees and as consultants and experience seems to count more than education...they all have intl experience from the military, Peace Corps, Fulbright and some post graduate study (not necessarily a degree). Good luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
not if you are in accounting. CPA = MBA in the accounting world. you can work yourself pretty high being a CPA without a graduate degree. Just ask the CFOs at my current and previous jobs

Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM

126 posts, read 303,995 times
how about a CFA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC