Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM

2,491 posts, read 3,510,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is true. My ex co-worker and her boyfriend paid $3,400 to live in one of those buildings in Downtown Bethesda...

Do you have studies on this? I'm curious about the profiles of those demanding higher-density housing. Some people suspect that greater demand for higher-density housing reflects a value shift from more traditional suburban living, but I wonder if the demand for "traditional" housing is only weaker because the people who typically demand it have been hardest hit by the recession.
Complaining about housing prices in downtown Bethesda is like complaining about housing prices in Beverly Hills. It's one of the choicest bits of real estate in the entire country, so of course it's not affordable.

The NAR study is one example of how values are shifting. From a more practical standpoint, a few other data points that I rounded up earlier:
- Fewer than 1/10 of households in DC are married couples with children, but 1/3 of its housing stock is 3+ bedroom
- Only 1/15 of new households in the entire region, 2005-2010, are married couples with children

I'm a member of the Urban Land Institute, which is the closest the development industry has to a professional association, and their reports and conferences have for years tracked an ongoing shift in demand across almost all product types towards core locations.

Last edited by paytonc; 02-14-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM

837 posts, read 1,795,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
stuff
Wait, I could have bought a HOUSEBOAT?

Now you tell me...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 3,510,021 times
yep:
Gangplank Marina : Curbed DC
Gangplank Marina also has Cantina Marina (shades of Castaways at North Avenue Beach), the water taxi to Georgetown, and a reputation for scandal (Duke Cunningham, James Traficant, and Larry Craig all lived there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC