Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM

29 posts, read 98,002 times

Advertisements

My job is transferring me to Andrews Air Force Base. I would like to live in DC, however, I was wondering what the commute would be from NW DC to Andrews AFB. Anyone have any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

465 posts, read 928,079 times
Live in Navy Yard, bruh. Perfect location for that commute.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM

219 posts, read 594,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattilvc View Post
My job is transferring me to Andrews Air Force Base. I would like to live in DC, however, I was wondering what the commute would be from NW DC to Andrews AFB. Anyone have any idea?
Your commute shouldn't be no more than 40 mins (since your going against traffic for the most part) unless you get a place in upper NW DC. I think you should look into Capitol Hill or SW waterfront your commute would be a lot quicker if you stayed in those areas.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:53 PM

29 posts, read 98,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
Your commute shouldn't be no more than 40 mins (since your going against traffic for the most part) unless you get a place in upper NW DC. I think you should look into Capitol Hill or SW waterfront your commute would be a lot quicker if you stayed in those areas.
Safe and nice areas to live?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM

219 posts, read 594,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattilvc View Post
Safe and nice areas to live?
Yes both are pretty safe areas. Capitol Hill is also very walkable, there are many restaurants, bars, retail stores, a metro stop, and I believe they have a few grocery stores in the immediate area. A lot of young professionals live in the area.

I don't know too much about SW Waterfront, but I know it is not as lively as Capitol Hill, but I heard that it is a pretty nice and safe area.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Navy Yard is one metro stop away from SW Waterfront, is closest of all locations to Andrews west of the river, and routinely has circulators that take you to Capitol Hill in like 8 minutes. It's also more luxurious and safer than SW.

Goto JDLand.com: Near Southeast DC Redevelopment to see how Navy Yard is literally about to open 8+ new restaurant/retail options within a year, many coming within a few months.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM

220 posts, read 547,909 times
I live in the SW Waterfront, and consider it safe enough, although it really depends on your standards. There have been some armed robberies/muggings lately. I've lived there for a few years as a small female without a problem, although my neighbor experienced an armed robbery recently. I'd say that the Capitol South/Eastern Market sections of Capitol Hill are nicer than SW Waterfront, although I think the SW Waterfront area is fine enough. Capitol Hill isn't too loud, yet it has a variety of nice restaurants, cafes, and local bars. The SW Waterfront is much quieter without many places to hang out (although there is a grocery store and a CVS). There are some plans to redevelop the Waterfront but it seems like they are more medium-term plans rather than short-term plans.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM

They really need to raze the public housing around SW Waterfront. Would do wonders.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
I regularly commute from Arlington VA to Andrews.

If I were single, my first choice would be Penns Quarter in Downtown DC. It's in the heart of the city, between the Whitehouse and Congress, blocks to the museums, and near a lot of restaurants and nightlife. To get to work I'd take the 9th St tunnel to I-395.

Second option would be SW DC, as everyone has mentioned above. I used to work at Ft McNair and the area has really changed for the better.

3rd option is Silver Spring/Greenbelt/College Park and drive down I-495. This area is more affordable than living in DC but still has it's mix of things to do.

Driving is really the only way to get to Andrews and around base. There is no good transportation from the metro rail and the base shuttle is slow. If you use Suitland Parkway to get to work, watch your speeds. DC loves loading up this area with mobile speedcams.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I personally wouldn't rent around the Navy Yard metro just yet. Its going to be a great neighborhood one day but its a little too in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-scream not as bad as Crystal City or the National Mall after business hours but too empty for my tastes nonetheless. I would probably buy though. There'll def be a return on investment anyday now.

The SW Waterfront is better there's more going on. I'm still a little nervous about that area again just not enough people on the streets. Just something about that area that I can't put my finger on. With that said I just visited someone down there and was amazed by how its changed in just 3 years. When did they open that Safeway? Very nice.

So yeah I too would recommend Capitol Hill. Lots of restaurants and such on Pennsylvania Avenue and 8th street. Easier access to Andrews AFB than trying to fight traffic from NW. Dealing with that type of traffic cancels out one of the main advantages of city living if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC