U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 37,552 times
Default Please help me find a good fishing spot for me and my 4 year old..

New to DC (fairly) and looking to do some good fishing. I am at Bolling AFB and did some fishing in the Potomac off base last year, but we didn't catch anything!

So.. I am wondering, do I buy a DC license, VA, or MD license? I am leaning towards VA, because we are also going to do some camping in the summer and I believe that if I camp in MD, we cannot bring adult beverages (so I have read) :P

Looking for a nice river or lake no longer than 2 hours from DC - preferably something like a state park with playgrounds and other things to do for a nice day out..

Just looking for bass fishing, catfish etc, but if we can find a nice spot on the Chesapeake that would work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,801,095 times
Don't know any fishing spots but wanting to spend quality time with your little one is great and melts my heart. That's real swell. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,598,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koala33 View Post
So.. I am wondering, do I buy a DC license, VA, or MD license? I am leaning towards VA, because we are also going to do some camping in the summer and I believe that if I camp in MD, we cannot bring adult beverages (so I have read).
That regulation is for MD state parks only. If you end up in a state forest, alcohol is allowed. If you go to a private campground, the rules will be up to the campground owner.

VA is similar in that alcohol is banned from state parks.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:04 PM

416 posts, read 494,484 times
A four-year-old isn't going to have the patience for any serious fishing. My advice is to stick with very easy panfish so that he/she will likely see some action before boredom sets in. In DC, try Fletcher's boathouse or even the tidal basin. In DC, Virginia or Maryland, check the DNR websites for specific information on the regs and locations. If you call them, they can probably give you some good advice. What license you'll need depends on exactly where you fish. The Potomac gets complicated because it can be Maryland, DC, or Virginia. The DNR websites will give you all the details. If you call, they can probably give you some suggestions about kid friendly fishing spots.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM

2,555 posts, read 1,451,547 times
If you plan on eating what you catch, I'd advise not fishing within the DC area. The Anacostia is badly polluted and Bolling is next door to the Blue Plains sewage treatment facility. Going downriver, I'd try Ft Washington St Park or the Great Neck area in VA. Upstream I'd go past Great Falls St Park; there's a lot of good fishing up in West VA. Otherwise go east and do some fishing on the Chesapeake.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,169,862 times
My dad took me fishing at Lake Needwood in Derwood (sorta near Rockville). He'd rent a rowboat for a day and we go fishing, it's under $30 for the rental if you want to be on the boat. I'm not 100% certain that you can drink alcohol there but I remember my dad would have a cooler he said was for the fish but there'd be a 24 pack box of beer in there and the boat would be littered with cans by the end of our fishing trip. They also have paddleboats and canoes you can rent if your son gets bored with fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC