Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

I asked my friend, whom I consider to be somewhat of a DC socialite, some iteration of this very question not long ago ("Where do the classy, professional blacks hang out in DC?")

Her response?

"Let me know when you find out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM

353 posts, read 395,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I asked my friend, whom I consider to be somewhat of a DC socialite, some iteration of this very question not long ago ("Where do the classy, professional blacks hang out in DC?")

Her response?

"Let me know when you find out."
I'm just looking for a place where classy professionals hang out. Although I'm black, it's perfectly fine if the crowd is not.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
That is my fav currently. I am there every wednesday for regee night! Marvins and Patty Boom Boom get the nod too.
I think the few blocks starting at 14th and V and wrapping around the corner to 11th and U has the majority of "black hangouts" in Washington, DC. That stretch includes Eatonville, Busboys, Marvin, Blackbyrd, Jin, Patty Boom Boom, Tabaq, Lost Society, Republic Gardens, Creme, Ben's Next Door, Vinoteca, Lounge of Three, Indulj and Liv/Bohemian Caverns. Those are the places where you're most likely to find a large concentration of non-ratchet black people (and that's not even a guarantee). 14th Street, imo, has always been the de facto line of demarcation between black and white nightlife on U Street (anyone else notice this?). But there are still a couple of places east of 14th Street that have few black faces on a regular (i.e., Brixton).

I guess the Howard Theater would be another? Has anyone been to Cities? I saw a lot of stuff on FB about DST parties there this past weekend.

I always thought 18th Street Lounge was hit or miss. I don't think I've ever seen a large concentration of black people there.

Yeah, that's about it, I guess. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Park is still a double thumbs down (unless you want to YBP pose). But honestly you can have a great time anywhere, its all on you.
It's more like YBP "front." My rule of thumb is to avoid any place that has live broadcasts on WPGC or WKYS.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I'm just looking for a place where classy professionals hang out. Although I'm black, it's perfectly fine if the crowd is not.
Then the whole entire city is your oyster. Black people hang out all over the city, but I thought the OP was asking about a significant concentration of black people. If you don't care at all about black people being there, then you could choose any number of bars around Dupont, Georgetown, M Street, Capitol Hill, etc.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM

Here's a resource you might find useful.

I Don't Do Clubs | A Different Way to Party!

This might be helpful, too.

DMV (DC - Bmore) Events &laquo FUSICOLOGY – Events, News, Music & Media

You have to dig a little to find out what the scene is in DC. It's become much more like NYC in recent years where you have to keep your ear to the ground to find out what folks are up to.

And I forgot to mention Smith Commons and Sticky Rice on H Street.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Then the whole entire city is your oyster. Black people hang out all over the city, but I thought the OP was asking about a significant concentration of black people. If you don't care at all about black people being there, then you could choose any number of bars around Dupont, Georgetown, M Street, Capitol Hill, etc.
I should rephrase, I definitely like diverse crowds. But I do not drink and I dislike loud music, so there's no reason for me to venture to bars and/or clubs.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I should rephrase, I definitely like diverse crowds. But I do not drink and I dislike loud music, so there's no reason for me to venture to bars and/or clubs.
Applebee's?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Applebee's?
LOL, No thanks, I don't like processed foods.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,575 times
Has anyone done the Friday 6-9 open bar at Stadium? What was your experience like

Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,986 times
Where do the black professional gay men go to party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: