Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 15,028 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of looking for work and was wondering what job hunting strategies you have found successful when looking for work in the DC Metro Area (VA/DC/MD). I'm especially interested in strategies for newbies to this area or people who have already relocated.

I'll start:

Successful Strategy (i.e., I got a permanent job)

1. Staffing agencies - CityStaff DC was super helpful to me in finding my current position (doing lobbying/trade association work), especially as an outsider/transplant to the area.

Not so successful, yet...

1. Applying to listings on websites like Idealists.org.

Other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,448,628 times
If you have any friends that are alumni of local colleges, tap them to get their school's career center jobs listings for you.

Most of our entry level folks are from local schools. We don't really care if someone went to school there; it's just the most convenient local resource for recruiting smart young folks.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks, KStreetQB, great idea.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM

720 posts, read 1,550,591 times
what Industry are you in?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM

26,687 posts, read 41,580,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
If you have any friends that are alumni of local colleges, tap them to get their school's career center jobs listings for you.

Most of our entry level folks are from local schools. We don't really care if someone went to school there; it's just the most convenient local resource for recruiting smart young folks.
Great tip. I know a couple of GMU grads I need to contact about this.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,842,533 times
Network.

Join a professional association or just a social group for professionals. There are tons. Print up some business cards with your contact info and a link to your blog/website/linkedin/facebook profile where your resume is available for viewing. Hand them out at happy hours or mixers the associations hold. Actually make an effort to talk to people. This place is all about connecting with the right person. Happy hours are a big deal -- go to some prepared to link up with people who may be able to help.

Agreed that staffing agencies are a great way to go, too, due to the high percentage of contractors the feds use to support projects.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
what Industry are you in?
I'm a law grad and just took the bar in Feb. but I have a background in communications and am currently working with a trade association that represents healthcare providers. In my current position, I'm a "Special Assistant" which really is more like a staffer, where I do a mix of stuff for my executive director. It's just the two of us, so I have my hands in a lot of different projects.

Networking sounds like a good lead - I think getting out more may help a lot too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC