Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Its like a ten minute walk from Woodley Park to the heart of Adams Morgan. Does ten minutes really qualify as "no metro?"
Technically, yes he's right, although I think it's better left as saying the metro is a bit of a hike. Like I said when you're younger it's no big deal but after a while adsmor loses its allure and just becomes a hassle.

And yeah, you can find parking during the week when it's generally dead. lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM

229 posts, read 515,120 times
As stated earlier, the gentrification of the surrounding communities and other competing nightlife sectors has essentially rendered Adams Morgan as more of an option these days as opposed to the ultimate go-to spot that it was. It carried the latter distinction for years because it was the only club sector in D.C. to which White people were unafraid to venture.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
Speaking from personal experience, the older you get the more you realized that there are other options out there besides 18th street. I find myself more in the Dupont area, i.e. Midtown now than I am in Adams Morgan. 2 years ago I wouldn't have said that. It's probably not in decline, it's just not as popular to the post-25 year old age group. Adams Morgan is and will always be a scene for the college kids.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Its like a ten minute walk from Woodley Park to the heart of Adams Morgan. Does ten minutes really qualify as "no metro?" I think its easy and actually quite nice to walk over that bridge in nice weather.
I also don't know what you guys mean by no parking. I have always been able to find a spot on some side street, with the exception being on Friday or Saturday nights. But if you are going to Adams Morgan at that time, you probably don't want to be driving anyway.
I agree that Adams Morgan is in decline, but it is not due to transportation. H St is much harder to get to and it is on the rise. I think that, as was previously stated, new destinations are drawing people away from Adams Morgan.
Parts of southern Adams Morgan are closer to U Street via Metro. But yes, it is, not because ten minutes is that long, but because it's one endless walk with next to nothing on it for the majority of the distance.

I'll agree with the majority of people in that Adams Morgan isn't necessarily in decline, but rather that nightlife has spread out around DC.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I don't know anything about the old Dc from experience. I really like Adams Morgan. I know a few folks in the neighborhood. Now I don't think I'd want to live that close to the action but I think once they finish the construction that it'll be a really nice looking spot. Although I must admit that I like that Adams Morgan isn't as polished as other nightlife spots like Dupont, Georgetown or Chinatown.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,231 times
The music played in the clubs is certainly on the deline in all parts of DC.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
The music played in the clubs is certainly on the deline in all parts of DC.
Really? How so? That's just your opinion. The music is fine. I know I don't schlep all the way into the city to listen to the same songs I can listen to at home on my laptop.

I think you're associating this awesome DC of the past with your own past glory days. That tends to happen with nostalgia, we tune out the bad stuff. Maybe you think the music of the past was better because that was a happier time for you. It was carefree and didn't have the real grown up problems of today. The past is gone and its never coming back. Might as well as see what one can do to make today and tomorrow great versus focusing on a faded golden age.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
Adams Morgan was cool in 1995. I know because I hung out there in 1995.

Then again, if you were a 20-something single person, where else did you find vibrant and crowded joints in DC back in the day? Maybe Georgetown, some blocks near Capitol Hill and isolated spots in the DuPont Circle area.

The (re) development of the U Street corridor drove all of the yuppies away from Adams Morgan.

The (re) development of the H Street corridor attracted all of the punkers, hipsters and artsy-fartsy wannabees.

The K Street club scene born in the 2000s kept all of the Euros and Asians in the downtown area.

Nightclubs catering to black professionals and college-age customers sprouted all over town in the last decade as well.

So what's left for Adams Morgan in 2012?
1. White frat boys on guys night out.
2. Serious weekend binge drinkers (male and female) who never outgrew their college party years.
3. Military dudes on weekend passes.
4. Horny 20-somethings who are looking for a one-night hook up but are too dirt poor and too fashion challenged to visit the K Street and DuPont Circle clubs.
5. Beyond binge drinkers...alcoholics make a home every night at AM bars.

Combine all of these groups together and you know why Adams Morgan has fallen through the crapper in recent years. The fights are getting more prevalent and more violent when fists are not enough. The sexual harassment of women is getting worse. Back in the day, women only got the "hollas" from dudes passing by; today, their body parts are getting groped in public view on the street. Muggings are getting worse when thugs jump drunk customers stumbling out of a Adams Morgan bar.

If I were 20-something today, I would steer clear of Adams Morgan. Mind as well hang out with the hipsters on H Street or the Euro/Azns on K Street.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Well for one thing its been under construction (road) so its not even fully operational right now.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Really? How so? That's just your opinion. The music is fine. I know I don't schlep all the way into the city to listen to the same songs I can listen to at home on my laptop.

I think you're associating this awesome DC of the past with your own past glory days. That tends to happen with nostalgia, we tune out the bad stuff. Maybe you think the music of the past was better because that was a happier time for you. It was carefree and didn't have the real grown up problems of today. The past is gone and its never coming back. Might as well as see what one can do to make today and tomorrow great versus focusing on a faded golden age.
The past is never coming back?
Really?
I guess you have not noticed how recently all of the kids and all of the hipsters are dressing like the 1980s and wearing shoes from the 1980s and 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC