Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 26,112 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to DC and was wondering what you thought of the Columbia Heights, specifically Mount Pleasant area? I'm a single, late 20s Asian American female. I'm considering moving into an apartment on Park road right off 16th St NW and plan on taking the Columbia Heights metro for work (about a < 10 minute walk). I've heard that certain streets are a little more sketchy than others and there are certain places you may want to avoid. I won't have my car, for the most part, so running errands around the area will be necessary. What are your experiences or your feelings on the surrounding area, including my apartment area and CH metro? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
you're good. i think you will love it.
the bus might be quicker sometimes
too tho.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times
Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights are separate neighborhoods, although right next to other. Both areas used to be rougher, now are full of yuppies. Crime definitely goes on, so you might not want to spend much time walking around by yourself late at night, but for DC it's relatively safe.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 AM

34 posts, read 108,450 times
I lived in Columbia Heights for about a year (up until a few months ago). Its a great neighborhood. It is definitely a city neighborhood, though- not sure what you're used to. So, you have to be aware of your surroundings, especially at night; don't leave things in your car if you park on the street; that kind of thing. But, generally, you shouldn't have a problem in that area. That's just a couple blocks from the Giant and the whole DC USA (Target, BB&B, etc) establishment. Generally speaking, west of the metro (where you'll be) is pretty good. As you head further east from the metro (towards Georgia Ave), things get a little sketchier the farther you go. But, still, a great neighborhood. Lots of bars/restaurants/stores. Lots of younger people (though it doesn't have the party feel like Adams Morgan is known for). I'm guessing you'll be very happy there.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycee09 View Post
I'm planning on moving to DC and was wondering what you thought of the Columbia Heights, specifically Mount Pleasant area? I'm a single, late 20s Asian American female. I'm considering moving into an apartment on Park road right off 16th St NW and plan on taking the Columbia Heights metro for work (about a < 10 minute walk). I've heard that certain streets are a little more sketchy than others and there are certain places you may want to avoid. I won't have my car, for the most part, so running errands around the area will be necessary. What are your experiences or your feelings on the surrounding area, including my apartment area and CH metro? Any insight would be much appreciated!
My insight (as a native) is if Zimmerman is ultimately found not guilty of anything... you might not want to step foot outside of your apartment.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 26,112 times
Another question I forgot to ask - taking the metro, especially in the winter when it gets dark a lot earlier in the evenings, would I be fine walking back from the metro to my apartment, just as I would during the middle of the day?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,678 times
There is plenty of street lighting and pedestrian traffic in the Columbia Heights area. Ditto for 16th Street. You should be totally safe during the early evening hours. Avoid alley ways during the night time.

There are also several Metro bus lines that run from downtown DC up 16th Street. Some of the 16th Street apartment buildings have WMATA bus stops in front of them. So, you may not need to worry about using the Columbia Heights metro rail station. Worth checking the WMATA bus maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycee09 View Post
Another question I forgot to ask - taking the metro, especially in the winter when it gets dark a lot earlier in the evenings, would I be fine walking back from the metro to my apartment, just as I would during the middle of the day?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,678 times
The OP is Asian-American. She will be fine.

Can't say the same for white people like me. I have the luxury of fleeing across the border to Montgomery County.

But in all seriousness, there will be no riots in DC because of the Treyvon Martin case. Anger and disappointment-yes. Mass violence-no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
My insight (as a native) is if Zimmerman is ultimately found not guilty of anything... you might not want to step foot outside of your apartment.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
But in all seriousness, there will be no riots in DC because of the Treyvon Martin case. Anger and disappointment-yes. Mass violence-no.
I hope not. But I dont think you understand how quickly something can jump off in DC, especially if something starts to erupt nationally.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
I hope not. But I dont think you understand how quickly something can jump off in DC, especially if something starts to erupt nationally.

when's the last time something erupted nationally? 1968? Were you born then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: