U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM

52 posts, read 47,829 times
I would recommend getting a 2 BR in silver spring. It will be higher than the 1300 you planned on paying but well worth it for the additional space since you have a baby on the way. Plus silver spring is nice and has a downtown silver spring area for restaurants and shopping plus a movie theater. Also after you have been working at Howard for a year I would recommend putting in applications at government agencies because 45K is a bit low for DC in my opinion. You could make more as a researcher for a government agency somewhere else in the DC area. Also, the reason I am not recommending a lot of other areas in maryland is because silver spring will be the closest to work for you and it is where you can still live safely and not suffer long commute. Avoid Bladensburg MD, that is just a ghetto.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM

4,033 posts, read 4,813,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerprint456 View Post
I would recommend getting a 2 BR in silver spring. It will be higher than the 1300 you planned on paying but well worth it for the additional space since you have a baby on the way. Plus silver spring is nice and has a downtown silver spring area for restaurants and shopping plus a movie theater. Also after you have been working at Howard for a year I would recommend putting in applications at government agencies because 45K is a bit low for DC in my opinion. You could make more as a researcher for a government agency somewhere else in the DC area. Also, the reason I am not recommending a lot of other areas in maryland is because silver spring will be the closest to work for you and it is where you can still live safely and not suffer long commute. Avoid Bladensburg MD, that is just a ghetto.
Make more money? I think everyone would like to make money if they can. He's gotta do what he can with the resources that he has. Also government agencies take FOREVER to apply and interview for. The baby can't wait that long. So he should make do with what he has and still put in applications.

Bladensburg is okay. Silver Spring is better but again its about making due with what has. When I first moved here I was making less than that and don't know how someone could possibly pay $1500 or $1600 a month on that salary.

With a family of three that's actually low enough to qualify for some low income housing. So that shouldn't be forgotten about.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 17,221 times
Thank you guys. I am planning to visit the area late April or early May. I will take a look at most of areas recommended by more than one person here. wish me a good luck

Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 AM

15 posts, read 14,549 times
If you're dead set on commuting by car, then look at suburban areas that are off the Metro line since there is a steep cost increase for being metro accessable.

To be honest, you are going to struggle on that salary with a baby due. So look for cheap, which either means boring or unsafe.

Given those two points above, I would look at Maryland suburbs - Kensington, White Oak, Takoma Park, Olney, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC