Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 18,287 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are moving from NYC to the DC area since my husband will be working at DHS, which is in the American University area. We are on a fairly tight budget and we have 1 toddler and will have an infant when we move in Sept. We've checked out the Rockville area but wanted to know if there were other places to consider. Since DC is pretty far from NYC and being in a car makes me very ill in my pregnant state, I was wondering if anyone could give me some neighborhoods/areas to look into before we head back down to check out potential living situations. It will really help us maximize our time there.

Our top priorities are:
1) Safe area and somewhat family/child friendly
2) short commuting time to DHS (either via train or driving)
3) at least a 2 bedroom
4) max rent of 2100
5) near decent running and parks

Being able to walk to a couple of stores or restaurants would be great, but not necessary. We are open to VA and MD, but considering the red line (Tenleytown stop) is the closest to DHS, I feel like that it very much limits us. If driving is not a bad option and would be fairly short, we would be fine with that.

Any suggestions? Neightborhoods, apt complexes, communities? I thought I would ask here and see if there are more VA or MD suggestions before I take my question over to either of these forums.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,361,540 times
stick with tenleytown or georgetown.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,515,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
stick with tenleytown or georgetown.

$2100 for a 2 bedroom
in georgetown
whatever you smoke
I want some

Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,361,540 times
^ ye of little faith.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 18,287 times
Tenleytown and Georgetown both seem very expensive. If I could get a 2br, I imagine they would be extremely small. Any realtor suggestions or apt buildings with their own management/leasing offices? How bad is it to drive from northern VA or MD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC