Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

92 posts, read 179,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I don't think most of us would consider a landlord considering multiple applications to their apartment, including an offer of additional money, to be out of control capitalism.

I don't think most of us would consider a landlord offering a prospective tenant the opportunity to match an unsolicited competitive offer from another prospective tenant gouging rates.

And I wouldn't either. But it is fairly unusual in my personal experiences. I would also add that we do not live in a pure capitalistic economy. And I will also add that while I am a strong proponent of capitalism, it only works well when combined with good ethics. As we have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the notion of holding an auction for a rental, rather than simply listing a price, is an odd way to price rental housing (though its routine for purchased housing) (and its something I have never encountered in this region) but that aside has nothing to do with overall rent levels, which are effectively an auction, even if done through a landlords estimate of what he can get rather than through an actual auction.

I would suggest that you might like take intro to econ somewhere.
I would suggest you re-read my post. I never said anything about "overall rent levels."

Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,501,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecharlesriver View Post
I would suggest you re-read my post. I never said anything about "overall rent levels."

"Most of the businesses in the area charge shockingly high prices for good and services that are so subpar it's not even funny."

If you were complaining only about one landlords somewhat unorthodox choice of an informal and unannounced auction over a fixed rent, rather than saying things are too expensive, I certainly missed it.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM

225 posts, read 751,945 times
Quote:
And I wouldn't either. But it is fairly unusual in my personal experiences. I would also add that we do not live in a pure capitalistic economy. And I will also add that while I am a strong proponent of capitalism, it only works well when combined with good ethics. As we have seen.
You are correct; we do not live in a pure capitalistic economy. And therein lies the rub. The extreme right-wing capitalists have no desire for ethics, because the adherence to ethical practices is not in their financial interest. Their only concern is the almighty dollar. As our society learned from the recent mortgage crisis, capitalism only works properly when it is combined with good ethics.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I'm basing my opinions on my experiences as a renter in the area. Within the district there is short supply. Outside the district , supply varies. is that something you're disputing? In that particular instance I went down the street and found a better unit for a lower price. My experience beyond that is that I noticed other units in the area at a variety of rents. When I moved there the particular area I was in didn't have a exceedingly low vacancy rate. And thanks for your condescending "concern" (it's very clear you are comfortable in the DC area, LOL) but I've taken several econ courses, including econ 101. That has nothing to do with my opinons on the type of personalities prevalent in the region.

With a product like housing, where each unit tends to be unique, it certainly pays to spend some time searching, and most people do. I was merely challenging what I took to be your implication that rents here are high, not due to supply and demand, but due to some particular approach of landlords not found elsewhere, or to people paying lots of money when cheap units are available. Im sure there are some people, with money and in a hurry, who dont engage in as much search. Depending on the value of ones time, that may actually be a rational strategy for some people.

Im not really concerned with your attitudes about personalities - my sense is that personalities in every area vary, including this one, and I have little respect for people who make generalizations about an entire area. I wanted to clarify some things about the local RE market. I'm glad you took econ courses, but it certainly did not come through in your posts.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I'm basing my opinions on my experiences as a renter in the area. Within the district there is short supply.

and I would say thats reflected in pricing around the region.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
"Most of the businesses in the area charge shockingly high prices for good and services that are so subpar it's not even funny."

If you were complaining only about one landlords somewhat unorthodox choice of an informal and unannounced auction over a fixed rent, rather than saying things are too expensive, I certainly missed it.
Well, to put it in MY words, I was describing my experience with that particular property, yes.

Then I went on in a separate paragraph to comment about the cost of goods and services, which is generally considered separately from cost of housing in most conversations.

No, the entire post was not a summary of my opinions of the cost of housing in the DC region. Rather, it was my opinions on the nature of the overall mindset there.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
With a product like housing, where each unit tends to be unique, it certainly pays to spend some time searching, and most people do. I was merely challenging what I took to be your implication that rents here are high, not due to supply and demand, but due to some particular approach of landlords not found elsewhere, or to people paying lots of money when cheap units are available. Im sure there are some people, with money and in a hurry, who dont engage in as much search. Depending on the value of ones time, that may actually be a rational strategy for some people.

Im not really concerned with your attitudes about personalities - my sense is that personalities in every area vary, including this one, and I have little respect for people who make generalizations about an entire area. I wanted to clarify some things about the local RE market. I'm glad you took econ courses, but it certainly did not come through in your posts.
This entire board is laden with opinions about various parts of the country. Those opinions range from people to costs to culture and other things. I like reading other people's informed opinions, even when I disagree. And I think that, like any other aspect of a region, generalizations about a person's experience with the people and personalities in a given region are are perfectly acceptable fodder for conversation and debate. I think it's fair to say that every person I've ever met has made general statements about the various pro's and con's about places in which they have spent time. Some even do it based on having spent only a brief amount of time in places...which I don't support.

On the other hand I don't have much respect for people who come out of the gate in a conversation by implying that someone isn't as well educated as they are or by implying that someone is less worthy of your respect because they have expressed their opinion on something. I'm glad you never opine or generalize about anything. But I can certainly see how you would fall in love with the DC area.

Last edited by thecharlesriver; 04-11-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
and I would say thats reflected in pricing around the region.
I never disputed this. What's your point?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
You are correct; we do not live in a pure capitalistic economy. And therein lies the rub. The extreme right-wing capitalists have no desire for ethics, because the adherence to ethical practices is not in their financial interest. Their only concern is the almighty dollar. As our society learned from the recent mortgage crisis, capitalism only works properly when it is combined with good ethics.
I would argue that the unethical people include both right-wing and more liberally inclined people. Pinning our problems only on right-wing people is an argument that is seriously lacking in reality. Indeed, the "progressive" mindset that often seeks to excuse bad behavior by blaming it on systems and social structures, has played int fair role in contributing to a decline in ethical behavior in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC