U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM

999 posts, read 1,673,842 times

Advertisements

The Washington Post wins the No Sh*t Sherlock Award for this headline.

District gaining more residents from outside the region - The Washington Post

Got a social science or humanities college degree from a gold-plated university?

Thinkin' about law school because you want a fast track to six-figure income and that so-awesome lifestyle?

All book smarts but no real work skills?

Did that Peace Corp thing in some country with an average GDP under $1,000/year and you say to yourself, "Now What"?

Worse, you could not get into the Peace Corp and you settled for teaching English in some God-awful, rat-pit village in China?

Can't find a job in Chicago, Boston, Philly or San Francisco thanks to your worthless humanities/social science/artsy-fartsy college degree?

Well...Step Right Up, Kiddos. Drive that U-Haul truck to the Nation's Capital. Because jobs grow on trees for 20-somethings in DC who can't hack the job market in pretty much 99 percent of the United States. What losers.

Non-profit organizations could use your cheap labor to work 60+ hours per week for various righteous causes. Public relations firms could use a hot-looking 22 year-old bunny to score some heterosexual male decision-makers. Capitol Hill could use some slaves to deal with angry constituents and mountains & mountains of government documents.

But I don't blame these kids who have craptastic job skills and little experience. It's either move to Washington, DC or move back home with Mommy & Daddy. I would take the DC option too--if you can deal with the four roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,106,134 times
lol that's mean, man.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 535,770 times

No Pants Metro Ride 2010 Washington DC - YouTube

LivingSocial Presents: NAKID Kickball - YouTube

Huge Snowball Fight in Washington DC Blizzard - YouTube

Washington DC Pillow Fight .mov - YouTube

2008 DC Idiotarod - YouTube

But, but, but, but, but, these urban people are bringing excitement back to the city.
Before they arrived, there was nothing here.
Like, like, like, like, like, like, Yah!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 PM

8,616 posts, read 10,330,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
The Washington Post wins the No Sh*t Sherlock Award for this headline.

District gaining more residents from outside the region - The Washington Post

Got a social science or humanities college degree from a gold-plated university?

Thinkin' about law school because you want a fast track to six-figure income and that so-awesome lifestyle?

All book smarts but no real work skills?

Did that Peace Corp thing in some country with an average GDP under $1,000/year and you say to yourself, "Now What"?

Worse, you could not get into the Peace Corp and you settled for teaching English in some God-awful, rat-pit village in China?

Can't find a job in Chicago, Boston, Philly or San Francisco thanks to your worthless humanities/social science/artsy-fartsy college degree?

Well...Step Right Up, Kiddos. Drive that U-Haul truck to the Nation's Capital. Because jobs grow on trees for 20-somethings in DC who can't hack the job market in pretty much 99 percent of the United States. What losers.

Non-profit organizations could use your cheap labor to work 60+ hours per week for various righteous causes. Public relations firms could use a hot-looking 22 year-old bunny to score some heterosexual male decision-makers. Capitol Hill could use some slaves to deal with angry constituents and mountains & mountains of government documents.

But I don't blame these kids who have craptastic job skills and little experience. It's either move to Washington, DC or move back home with Mommy & Daddy. I would take the DC option too--if you can deal with the four roommates.

smart kids, doing interesting things. Sometimes sacrificing $$ to try to improve the world. I like em.

beats the hell out of sour people complaining about the young.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM

[quote=WASHINGTON BULLETS;23626638But, but, but, but, but, these urban people are bringing excitement back to the city.
Before they arrived, there was nothing here.
Like, like, like, like, like, like, Yah![/quote]

I see you like youtube.

How very "hip" of you.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I see you like youtube.

How very "hip" of you.
Like Yah! I remember my sister pushing me around inside of a shopping cart when I was 5 years old. I remember having snowball fights with my friends when I was 10. The last time I played kickball I was in the 2nd grade. I used to pillow fight with my sister when I was 7 and I used to walk around outside in my underwear when I was 3.

I also lived with my parents back then and my monthly rent was $0 ZERO $0 dollars a month. Like Yah!

I was very "hip" and very ahead of my time.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Like Yah! I remember my sister pushing me around inside of a shopping cart when I was 5 years old. I remember having snowball fights with my friends when I was 10. The last time I played kickball I was in the 2nd grade. I used to pillow fight with my sister when I was 7 and I used to walk around outside in my underwear when I was 3.

I also lived with my parents back then and my monthly rent was $0 ZERO $0 dollars a month. Like Yah!

I was very "hip" and very ahead of my time.

yet you seem bitter. Perhaps you might want to engage in a snowball fight, or play kickball. You might enjoy life more.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
yet you seem bitter. Perhaps you might want to engage in a snowball fight, or play kickball. You might enjoy life more.
Not bitter. I have some friends and family who have cashed in big time. Eventually I will cash in too. Like Yah!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,561,734 times
The people Coldbliss describes here have been moving to this area for many, many years. The point of the article is that recent census data shows many of those same people are now moving directly into the city and not the suburbs like they used to.

That's actually a relatively new demographic shift and not as obvious as Coldbliss seems to think, given the shrinking population and disinvestment DC experienced for many decades.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM

5,062 posts, read 8,385,485 times
I don't know that the article clearly establishes that a certain type of person who would have moved to the suburbs in the past is now moving to DC.

It may be that there are more people moving to this region than before, which benefits both the suburbs and the city, or that there are more people of a certain type (i.e., those who always preferred cities) moving to DC.

Certainly, over the past 10 years, the Census data indicates that more people have continued to move to the DC suburbs from other parts of the country and world than to DC itself, and that DC continues to lose more residents to neighboring jurisdictions than those jurisdictions send to DC. Having said this, DC has become more hospitable to newcomers than in the past, and that's a good thing for the DC region, even if some of those folks might have preferred to stay in other urban areas if the job markets there were healthier.

I found Coldbliss's post generally to be misanthropic (for those approaching or in middle age to complain about younger people who are trying to make a living and enjoy themselves in the process, even though they may not be fashion models, rocket scientists, or quant fund managers making millions, seems very bitter; we had plenty of our own growing pains that, for better or worse, simply were less likely to be saved for posterity on YouTube). The only part with which I concurred was the suggestion that a Post quote highlighting the choice of a single woman in her 20s of DC over the suburbs was yawn-inducing. Her counterpart in 1990 wouldn't have made a bee-line for Western Fairfax, Olney or Potomac, either, though she might have been somewhat more likely to search in Bethesda or Alexandria, rather than DC.

Last edited by JD984; 04-01-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC