U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 764,314 times
Default DC Parking ticket questions

I got a parking ticket in the K street area over the weekend for parking in a No stopping zone.

1. Is there anyway I could fight this ticket ($50)?

2. Does DC send parking tickets through the mail? I have to know because the car isn't actually registered under my name. If so, how long does it take for the parking tickets to get mailed (Im in northern VA)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,801,095 times
Yeah there's a form you fill out on the DC DMV website. You can fight any ticket you want. THat no stopping ticket will be a hard one though. If you parked that's considered stopping. The reason for this is because K street is known for prostitutes. The District makes millions off people not carefully reading those confusing signs good luck fighting.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM

1,112 posts, read 912,996 times
Did you actually get out of your car and leave it parking in the no stopping zone? If so, you just simply screwed up, you shouldn't be surprised you got a ticket, and you'll probably have no choice but to pay up. If you were just idling there for a minute while still in your vehicle, you might have a case, but I'd say it's unlikely you will succeed. if you fight the ticket.
In any case, here's how to contest the ticket: District of Columbia: Department of Motor Vehicles - Information - Tickets & Hearings - Parking Tickets

Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM

1,274 posts, read 764,314 times
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I'm stuck paying it. Though I still need to know if DC mails parking tickets to addresses and if so, how long does that take.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,801,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I'm stuck paying it. Though I still need to know if DC mails parking tickets to addresses and if so, how long does that take.
No. Do NOT under any circumstances wait for a ticket in the mail. They won't send it or it'll get lost. Then the next thing you know its late and its doubled. If you lost the little pink love note that they put on your car, you can go to their website and look it up with your tag number. Oh if you don't pay it timely it goes on your credit report. Just saw mine when I was buying a car sure enough its on there.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

6,985 posts, read 4,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
They do not mail parking tickets. What they do though is, if you haven't paid it within a certain time, they will let you know that your fine has doubled and then after that they will threaten to send it to collections. If you pay now, they won't send anything.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM

6,872 posts, read 8,388,564 times
I'm confused. Why would you get a ticket in the mail? Didn't they put one on your car?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,247,457 times
Is the reason you're asking about a notice in the mail because you're apprehensive that the person to whom the car is registered will know you got the ticket (perhaps even learn, by getting the ticket, that you were using their car)? I'd call the parking authority and ask. If you're just wanting to know when you need to pay, they can tell you that. If there's no phone #, use the walk-in service mentioned in the above link.

On what basis would you fight the ticket? The link given above spells out the bases on which you could contest the ticket. Even sitting in your car is parking (car is still stopped). K Street NW is a busy street, sometimes even on weekends,even with the side lanes. Sometimes the no stopping signs spells out why, or it's just clear (e.g., delivery zone, driveway, etc.). Often the curb is painted red. If you said why you felt you could contest the ticket, people might give better ideas. Prostitution usually not a problem during the day (unless you count the lobbyists as prostitutes).

Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM

6,872 posts, read 8,388,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Even sitting in your car is parking (car is still stopped).
I don't think that's correct, but I'm open to being corrected on that. I did once try to find out if "standing" is the same as "parking" but I was unsuccessful in finding the answer.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 PM

2,578 posts, read 1,903,665 times
If you are stopped in a no parking zone you must move if directed to do so. No stopping or standing means just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC