Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,855 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking at relocating from CA to DC to attend Law School at AU. Living in southern CA I've always had a car and it is a little difficult for me to imagine not having one, however I've read numerous posts stating that a car isn't necessary in DC. I'd like to ask for some advice, should I take my car with me?

I plan on relocating with my boyfriend and two dogs, at the moment we each have our own car.

Also, if any of you would like to give recommendations regarding neighborhoods we should look to rent at that would be greatly appreciated. My boyfriend maybe commuting to Baltimore for work.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Nope, nor would you want a car in DC in general. The only issue is that for American, you need to take a shuttle from the Metro. However, if your boyfriend can commute via train, anywhere on the Red Line would work for both of you.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
In some parts of DC having a car can be as necessary as in Southern California. You will probably not end up living in those neighborhoods as they tend not to be the areas where newcomers end up. In probably the majority of DC, you don't NEED a car but it can come in handy depending on your lifestyle. I'd put Tenleytown, the neighborhood close to AU, in that category. Then there are some neighborhoods--such as Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan---where having a car would be totally unnecessary and would only make sense if you have some very specific reason why you need a car.
I would say bring the car, and if it turns out to be a hassle and you can see how you would get by without it, you can always sell it.

Last edited by stateofnature; 04-13-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Welcome fellow Californian!! You're in for one heck of a wake-up call.

First: riding public transportation in DC is not the embarrassing experience it is in LA. People do it all the time. RICH people at that. I know, I know, crazy right! They do it because they HAVE to, as parking is an epic pain in the backside and unless you luck out like I did and find a place that offers parking, you're going to have a pretty hard time finding a place to leave the car when you're not using it.

That said, I drove out from California with mine and I couldn't imagine being without it. It's worth pointing out though that I do the reverse commute out to Columbia, MD so it's not like I have any other option. On the rare occasion I'm working on the Hill, I dump the car at Metro.

If your boyfriend is potentially commuting to Baltimore, I assume that means you're talking about two cars? Good luck with that. It's hard enough to find one parking spot out here, let alone two.

I say keep it. But beware: my car insurance TRIPLED when I moved from California. My insurance agent laughed at me and said "Oh, yeah, the closer you get to DC, the more you pay." Gee, thanks for that.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 AM

229 posts, read 515,025 times
I say keep it just in case.

Work and maintaining good health are the two most important aspects of self-preservation. If you find yourself looking for work during your time here, you'll be limiting your job selection to metro accessible areas, and while the public transportation here covers a wide geographical area in the DC area, you'll find numerous pockets of the region that can be more conveniently accessed by a personal vehicle.

I've donated my vehicle a few months ago, and I've done well without it, but I'd be lying to you if I said that certain work opportunities and lifestyle choices weren't sacrificed as a result.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 AM

198 posts, read 925,933 times
I would keep your car and decide once you've moved as well. Your boyfriend will definitely need a car if he is contemplating a commute to Baltimore. It is a hike (I don't know if it a full mile, but it is probably close to that) from the AU Law School campus to the metro. Depending on where you live, it may be nice to have a car.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
American U is probably the worst place in DC to move if you don't have a car. You'll have to take the unreliable free shuttle from AU to the Tenleytown Metro. That thing is never on time, I used to take it to work and it just sits there for 10 minutes until its completely filled to the brim. Also having your boyfriend work in Baltimore is a huge drag as well but the reverse commute from DC to Baltimore in the morning is at least a bit better than commuting the other way. It's also tough to find a place that will take 2 dogs. You have quite the crazy myriad of logistical problems, it'd take a mind greater than my own to untangle it to make it workable and somewhat comfortable. I would strongly recommend you give your dogs up, keep 1 car for your guy and have him find a job closer to DC instead. I'd probably recommend seriously not even coming to this region and attending school elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'd probably recommend seriously not even coming to this region and attending school elsewhere.
Damn, harsh. But probably good advice. DC isn't all it's cracked up to be. I expected a huge COL break coming from ultra-expensive San Francisco but now gas is way above what it was when I left CA, I pay way more in car insurance, I have weird things like inspection fees to pay on my car and had to move to the hood just to be able to afford both food AND rent.

Also, I do the reverse commute and let me tell you, it SUCKS. It probably sucks slightly less than what non-reverse commuters go through but it still sucks. I had to beg and plead with my boss to give me one work from home day a week, I nearly cried when she finally gave in.

It isn't the commute in that's so bad, it's the commute back. It takes me a good hour and 15 minutes to get home from Columbia and I'm right off 295.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I would say bring the car, and if it turns out to be a hassle and you can see how you would get by without it, you can always sell it.
I second this sugestion.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Damn, harsh. But probably good advice. DC isn't all it's cracked up to be. I expected a huge COL break coming from ultra-expensive San Francisco but now gas is way above what it was when I left CA, I pay way more in car insurance, I have weird things like inspection fees to pay on my car and had to move to the hood just to be able to afford both food AND rent.

Also, I do the reverse commute and let me tell you, it SUCKS. It probably sucks slightly less than what non-reverse commuters go through but it still sucks. I had to beg and plead with my boss to give me one work from home day a week, I nearly cried when she finally gave in.

It isn't the commute in that's so bad, it's the commute back. It takes me a good hour and 15 minutes to get home from Columbia and I'm right off 295.
Don't expect much in the way of a COL break. DC is just as, if not at times more, expensive than San Francisco. Rentals are in the same tier, while there's no shortage of million-dollar plus houses. Since the Metro has no unlimited passes, it's more expensive than Muni, although anything is actually better than Muni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC