Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,750 times

Advertisements

I'm a working communications professional here in town and have been looking at expanding my policy/government expertise with a masters.

Got on late onto the application train this year so I was only able to apply to two schools. I've been accepted by Johns Hopkins' Masters in Government Program (with a Poli Comms emphasis) and am waiting to hear back from George Mason's School of Public Policy.

My question is whether anybody has had experience with either and what would be preferable? Mason's program is well ranked, but JHU's program is more exact to my expertise.

I do have some concerns about JHU's program as I am worried that it is more of a "continuing education" masters that would be less intensive and legitimate than a program like Masons or another straight Public Policy program.

Guidance would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
I think JHU has a better overall reputation and name recognition. If I'm looking at a resume, JHU jumps off the page more than GMU does. I could be somewhat biased because I am in health policy, and they have such a great presence in that policy area.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I didn't do the government studies program at Hopkins, but I'd think they're somewhat comparable (for whatever reason I remember hearing that GMU has good policy programs) so I'd say go with whichever program fits you best. I was happy with the AAP program, definitely didn't feel like "continuing education". Just last week I had an interview where they noted that the program has a very good reputation.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
I am a GMU SPP graduate. I really enjoyed the program and it has a pretty good rep. I haven't really heard about Hopkins. Mainly, I hear about their medical programs.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM

89 posts, read 274,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I think JHU has a better overall reputation and name recognition. If I'm looking at a resume, JHU jumps off the page more than GMU does. I could be somewhat biased because I am in health policy, and they have such a great presence in that policy area.
Agreed, especially in the health care field where both my parents work. However, US News had GMU as the #2 up and coming universities last year. Seems like GMU is really growing, I've been thinking about going back to school myself and based on all the good things I've heard, GMU's at the top of my list

Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 PM

230 posts, read 859,874 times
Go to the school that's cheapest or gives you the most financial aid. The last thing you want to do is riddle yourself with a lot student loan debt, especially in this economy.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
Go to the school that's cheapest or gives you the most financial aid. The last thing you want to do is riddle yourself with a lot student loan debt, especially in this economy.

best advice in this thread so far

the degree is useless if it doesn't apply to or open up job prospects for you

Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times
Perhaps you should direct your question to potential employers in the field you're interested in. GMU has some very strong programs and its reputation has grown tremendously in recent years. I think it would be a good alternative to JHU in at least some areas. If your interest is on the international side, however, I think SAIS is still a much stronger and more prestigious program. It really comes down to what you want to do with the degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC