Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

Is that a contradiction in terms? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive (less tha $150/night) hotel within a mile or two of the mall?

I'm bringing the family to DC as tourists in June. Anybody know of a hotel that's at all reasonable?

Alternatively, we might stay at an inexpensive place ten miles away. We'll have a rental car. Is it possible to drive in to the Mall and PARK??? Would I spend all the money I saved, on parking-lot fees?

How much does it cost to park for a day, within walking distance of the Mall?

Lastly, is anyone here familiar witth the Harrington Hotel, four blocks east of the White House? It seems fairly inexpensive. A decent place to stay for two days? Or is it one step from being condemned?

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Alternatively, we might stay at an inexpensive place ten miles away. We'll have a rental car. Is it possible to drive in to the Mall and PARK??? Would I spend all the money I saved, on parking-lot fees?
I would expect to pay $200 per night for a downtown hotel. The reviews of the Hotel Harrington are not great, and one says parking is 4 blocks away and $15/per day. I think you are better of staying in Springfield, VA or Silver Spring, MD, and taking the Metro in.

BTW, if you are tempted by the motels along New York Avenue, NE, be aware that they are used by the city as shelters for homeless families.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-29-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Would I spend all the money I saved, on parking-lot fees?...How much does it cost to park for a day, within walking distance of the Mall?
Here's the best info on parking: Parking Near the National Mall in Washington, DC . The summary is $10 to $19 per day for parking.

I know I recommended Metro., however, it may be less costly to take the car in, depending on the size of your family. Metro has all day passes for $9.00 per person. Here's the info on them: Metro - Fares - Metrorail

The other reason for using Metro it that it is very confusing and nerve-wracking to drive in DC if you are not familiar with it. I think you would find it more enjoyable to take the train. There are also trolley tours and shuttle buses downtown, and the kids would find them a treat.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
I would suggest looking at Crystal City and taking the Metro from there. I did this the very first time I visited DC forever ago and it wasn't difficult to figure out how to get downtown at all. Hotels out that way are still pretty pricey but probably better than what you'll find around the Mall.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Check for hotels around Metro and you could take that in, especially if you're not familiar w/driving in the area.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Here's the best info on parking: Parking Near the National Mall in Washington, DC . The summary is $10 to $19 per day for parking.

I know I recommended Metro., however, it may be less costly to take the car in, depending on the size of your family. Metro has all day passes for $9.00 per person. Here's the info on them: Metro - Fares - Metrorail

The other reason for using Metro it that it is very confusing and nerve-wracking to drive in DC if you are not familiar with it. I think you would find it more enjoyable to take the train. There are also trolley tours and shuttle buses downtown, and the kids would find them a treat.
Nope.
From what I have heard all day passes cost $14 now.
Yes thats right.
$14.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Nope.
From what I have heard all day passes cost $14 now.
Yes thats right.
$14.

It says $9 on WMATA's site Metro - Fares - Purchase - Passes & Farecards

Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Well somebody needs to update the website to reflect the latest fare changes.

I know people who have worked for WMATA for over 25 years.
So who do you think knows more about WMATA?
25+ year employees or some crappy internet website?

I stopped caring about WMATA a long time ago.
The last time I purchased an all day pass it cost me just $5.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
Well somebody needs to update the website to reflect the latest fare changes.

I know people who have worked for WMATA for over 25 years.
So who do you think knows more about WMATA?
25+ year employees or some crappy internet website?

I stopped caring about WMATA a long time ago.
The last time I purchased an all day pass it cost me just $5.
The price hasn't been updated because it hasn't been changed yet Fare Enough? Metro Cites Savings, Increased Ridership for Lower Than Expected Fare Hikes: DCist The $14 pass takes effect July 1st Metro Board Approves Fare Hike | NBC4 Washington for the purpose of this post, these people are coming in June so they can take advantage of the $9 pass while it still exists.

You don't have to give a flying rat's backside about WMATA but if you're going to give out info, at least care enough to give the right info.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Well I was told by a reliable source the all day pass price has been raised to $14. This person has worked for WMATA for decades.

I dont rely on WMATA for transportation anymore. I drive.
I stopped relying on them a long time ago.

$9 for an all day pass is a rip off

Metrobus, Metrorail, Fairfax Connector, DASH, Ride-On, MARC, VRE, Amtrak, Taxi Cab, Bicycle, Skateboard, Moped, Dirt Bike, Go Kart, Roller Skates, Roller Blades etc...
Been there and done all that when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC