Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,428 times

Advertisements

I have been reading posts on here and now its my turn to ask questions..please feel free to be as honest as possible.

I currently work for the gov' as a gs-11 in houston with a 12 coming in a month or so. I got a great opportunity to move to DC to take a 12 with potential to a 13. I willb e honest and say i make more money here in houston, i have a house as well. The reason i want to move to DC is that i have heard that this is the place to be for promotional opportunities. I am so torn between my comfort here and my "potential" success there. I have a goal to become a gs-14 within 7yrs and I know that will not happen here in houston.

My question is what would you do if you were me? I have a boyfriend and a dog and that's about it. Luckily we have saved some cash so we won't feel the sting of DC being all that expensive. My salary with all my income(s) is about 84K, i know thats beans in DC but that's a king in texas.

Should I take the risk and follow my dreams in hopes that it will work out (most say yoo can only move up fast in DC), or do I stay and be complacent with my 12? by the way, a 12 is about as high as i can go without having to move elsewhere for a promoion..

thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
I think that the way you phrased the last paragraph reveals what you actually want to do.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM

bluuefly you're right...i just think i'm a little apprehensive.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
You have a house, you pay no state income, if I remember right, because you live in Texas which means more money in your pocket and you're probably getting a bigger bang for your buck on your house than you would here.

$84K is pretty good anywhere, including DC. You make that here, you can pretty much live anywhere in the city.

That's tough. If it's your dream to be in DC, then go for it, but no one would blame you if you decided to stay. Sounds like you will have it made either way.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 PM

70 posts, read 182,940 times
Follow your dreams and move here! It's a great town!!! Sure, you may have to downsize the living space, but with 84k you should be fine affording the city.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM

thank you..i made the first step today and bought boxes...i think i'm deciding to go because its better to be motivated by success than motivated by fear..wish me luck.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacha123 View Post
bluuefly you're right...i just think i'm a little apprehensive.
Well, I'm no one to recommend foolhardiness where you basically jump off a cliff to follow your dreams and end up crashing hard. But, in your situation, it seems to be a pretty soft landing if you do choose to make the jump. The risk seems relatively minor. You won't get as much physical space and such for your dollar here, but then most people are okay with that once they adjust. You will get a very vibrant city with a lot of cultural and natural amenities (many of which are free) and the longer-term possibility of more money and more rewarding work.

If the decision is basically staying comfortable or moving to a new place and being only slightly less comfortable, but perhaps more fulfilled and rewarded personally, I'd make the move if I were you.

Oops - didn't see the post you just made. Good luck indeed!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 AM

220 posts, read 548,107 times
I wouldn't move if you are moving primarily for the money. Even if you get promoted, you will not necessarily have a better lifestyle due to higher cost of living. However, if you think you would enjoy living in a new city and having a new job, I would go for it. Personally I enjoy the urban lifestyle in DC, so I am happy to live here even if I could afford a higher standard of living somewhere else. You can definitely live fine on 84k (I assume your boyfriend will also get a job at some point and have a salary too?), depending on what your lifestyle is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC