U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM

5 posts, read 9,332 times

Advertisements

While researching on this forum, I came across a couple of interesting DC area communities - Greenbelt, which I'll leave for another post, and Mt. Rainier. Most locals have never heard of Mount Rainier, let alone know where it is, so I'm not expecting a resounding "yes" to this query.

However, if you know anything about it, perhaps you can help with the following questions:

1. Is it a decent area to live while saving money to buy a house? We came across two seemingly decent apt complexes - Kaywood Gardens and Queenstown, with reasonable rents and recent upgrades/renovations. We would live there for a year and stash cash while hoping the real estate market doesn't increase too much more in the interim.

2. There was a "downtown" revitalization project last year - 2011. Has this effort been successful, or was it a bust? I'm aware of the preponderance of liquor stores and lack of retail/service establishments, but is this indeed turning around as the area gentrifies?

3. This neighborhood has been touted as an artist's haven. Is this real or imagined? When I think of artsy-fartsy havens, places like Dallas' Deep Ellum or what's going on in Providence RI , etc., come to mind. This is a much smaller enclave, but does it even have the roots to be fertilized?

4. What type of business do you think would be successful that would compliment what's already there?

Just brainstorming, so any help/advice you can provide is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 AM

15,976 posts, read 36,944,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiiS View Post
While researching on this forum, I came across a couple of interesting DC area communities - Greenbelt, which I'll leave for another post, and Mt. Rainier. Most locals have never heard of Mount Rainier, let alone know where it is, so I'm not expecting a resounding "yes" to this query.

However, if you know anything about it, perhaps you can help with the following questions:

1. Is it a decent area to live while saving money to buy a house? We came across two seemingly decent apt complexes - Kaywood Gardens and Queenstown, with reasonable rents and recent upgrades/renovations. We would live there for a year and stash cash while hoping the real estate market doesn't increase too much more in the interim.

2. There was a "downtown" revitalization project last year - 2011. Has this effort been successful, or was it a bust? I'm aware of the preponderance of liquor stores and lack of retail/service establishments, but is this indeed turning around as the area gentrifies?

3. This neighborhood has been touted as an artist's haven. Is this real or imagined? When I think of artsy-fartsy havens, places like Dallas' Deep Ellum or what's going on in Providence RI , etc., come to mind. This is a much smaller enclave, but does it even have the roots to be fertilized?

4. What type of business do you think would be successful that would compliment what's already there?

Just brainstorming, so any help/advice you can provide is much appreciated.
I'm not expert, as I don't even live in the area. But I have been researching the Washington DC area extensively the last couple years, and Mt. Ranier was one of the areas I wanted to see (because I'd heard and read the same as you).

If you do a city-data search for Mt. Ranier on here, you'll find some great previous posts detailing it thoroughly.

From my memory, and from what I saw first-hand, the housing stock is particularly attractive. From reading on here, it sounded as if there were some rough areas, but they seem to be on the peripheries, and there is a better area that it seemed like was central to the area. Anyways, you can research quite a bit more in here.

When I drove around in Mt. Ranier, it felt much like the Washington DC side of the line. Demographics are predominately Black/African-American, etc.

Regarding a preponderous of liquor stores and lack of retail. I did see some retail, some of it looked interesting. I'm sure there were liquor stores in there, but I don't recall the heavily barred with thick glass or anything that you might encounter in some cities. But I wasn't really looking that closely, can't recall about that. But I did see some retail here and there, and some looked interesting.

Artist's haven. I've heard that too. Based on a couple of the retail that I remember, it seemed that a little of that could cater to an artist crowd. Not that there was a ton of retail, but did see some. I didn't get the impression it was a 'huge' artist haven by any means. If a person is an artist, they'd probably be right into that community, and enjoy the tightness of it. If a person is not an artist, but likes to be around that stuff in general, I'd think Mt. Ranier might not cater to that demographic so well. But, I could be wrong, as I don't really know that area. It seemed to be more a byproduct of the affordable rents.

Just adding info for you...based on what little observation I've made and thorough research of the area as well.

Also, if you search the 'Washington DC - Maryland suburbs' forum, you'll find more info on Mt. Ranier than the DC forum.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM

1,583 posts, read 2,274,353 times
I'd second that you'll find more on the Suburban Maryland forum, although they may be a bit biased against an inside-the-Beltway town in Prince George's.

I've been there a few times, mostly to stop at the Glut food co-op. It's pretty well located just past the DC line, but it's not on Metro so you're at the mercy of the local buses on RI Ave. It feels perfectly safe and functional to me; the retail's not thriving, but vacancy isn't excessively high and there are some gems like the ice cream shop. There's an emerging arts scene along RI Ave between Logan Circle and College Park, most notably in the city between Bloomingdale and Brookland, but it's well-hidden: although those are probably the most popular neighborhood for the bohemian set, it doesn't feel anything like the Left Bank. Mt. Rainier is firmly within the hippie belt of suburbs just NE of DC -- partly a strange artifact of the many international-development professionals and returned Peace Corps volunteers locally. Takoma Park to the west may be wealthier and College Park more famous, but arguably the spirit's strongest around Mt. Rainier. (Step into the Glut and you'll understand why.)

There's definitely investment going on in the area, particularly up the street around Arts District Hyattsville and the proposed Whole Foods in Riverdale Park.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM

3,628 posts, read 5,163,443 times
Here's the website

GLUT Food Co-op Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC