Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 21,038 times

Advertisements

Newbie here. I am aware that this thread is kind of old already but just have to bump it up.

I am from overseas and will have a business trip in an area near Baltimore. I will have a free weekend (July 12) and would love to have a sightseeing trip in DC possibly using Tourmobile Sightseeing's 6-hour tour which start at Union Station.

So, is there a train ride on a weekend from Baltimore's Penn Station to DC's Union Station and back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 AM

209 posts, read 982,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJP View Post
Newbie here. I am aware that this thread is kind of old already but just have to bump it up.

I am from overseas and will have a business trip in an area near Baltimore. I will have a free weekend (July 12) and would love to have a sightseeing trip in DC possibly using Tourmobile Sightseeing's 6-hour tour which start at Union Station.

So, is there a train ride on a weekend from Baltimore's Penn Station to DC's Union Station and back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Amtrak runs between those stations on the weekend. It's about $15 each way.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 21,038 times
Thanks Chris!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,824 times
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I've just found this forum, and I need to ask the same question.

I'm currently renting an apartment in Towson, Baltimore (close to the "Lutherville" and "Timonium" light-rail stations), and I just got a new job in DC, Union Station. The job is exactly at the Union Station plaza, which is where I'll be commuting to.

I will be taking the MARC train from Penn Station, Baltimore, to Union Station DC. The light rail from Towson to Penn Station takes 30 min. And the distance from my apartment to the light rail is about 15 min. Am I totally insane? Should I move to DC?

Now here's something interesting I want to mention also. Here in Towson, my rent is $900 + 50 or 100 for utilities, depending on the month. I live in the Hampton Plaza apartments right by the big traffic circle in central Towson, if anyone knows where that is. That area is expensive for Baltimore.

Now, after inquiring about possible apartments in the DC area, the rent there is of course more expensive but for instance in Bethesda you can get a studio for about $1350-1400 a month. Keep in mind that if I live in Towson, my MARC train ticket costs $175 a month. So here's the dilemma: ~$1175 (rent + utilities + MARC tickets) for continuing to live in Towson, or ~$1400 in Bethesda? Of course,there's another variable here, the huge discomfort of the daily commute, which can probably more than make up for the $275 difference each month. But still, life in DC is more expensive, if I live there.

I'd be very interested to hear more from people who are commuting this way and what they think of it.

Last edited by Baltimore1980; 12-29-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,538,281 times
That's not a commute I would take on, but everyone has different levels of tolerance for such things.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM

8,152 posts, read 13,223,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore1980 View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I've just found this forum, and I need to ask the same question.

I'm currently renting an apartment in Towson, Baltimore (close to the "Lutherville" and "Timonium" light-rail stations), and I just got a new job in DC, Union Station. The job is exactly at the Union Station plaza, which is where I'll be commuting to.

I will be taking the MARC train from Penn Station, Baltimore, to Union Station DC. The light rail from Towson to Penn Station takes 30 min. And the distance from my apartment to the light rail is about 15 min. Am I totally insane? Should I move to DC?

Now here's something interesting I want to mention also. Here in Towson, my rent is $900 + 50 or 100 for utilities, depending on the month. I live in the Hampton Plaza apartments right by the big traffic circle in central Towson, if anyone knows where that is. That area is expensive for Baltimore.

Now, after inquiring about possible apartments in the DC area, the rent there is of course more expensive but for instance in Bethesda you can get a studio for about $1350-1400 a month. Keep in mind that if I live in Towson, my MARC train ticket costs $175 a month. So here's the dilemma: ~$1175 (rent + utilities + MARC tickets) for continuing to live in Towson, or ~$1400 in Bethesda? Of course,there's another variable here, the huge discomfort of the daily commute, which can probably more than make up for the $275 difference each month. But still, life in DC is more expensive, if I live there.

I'd be very interested to hear more from people who are commuting this way and what they think of it.

I live in north Baltimore and communte to NOVA. I usually hit the JFX to North Ave Light Rail to park. Once there. I can walk to Penn Station, take the #13 Bus and walk down Charles Street to Penn or take the Light Rail to Mt. Royal and ... you guessed it... walk to Penn Station. On the return trip.. depending on when I arrive at Union I take either the Camden Line or Penn. If I take the express Camden Line (5:51pm) it only stops ant Muirkirk, Laurel, Savage, Dorsey, and Baltimore Camden Station. But once at Camden.. I just walk across the platform and catch the light rail to North Ave.. It takes about the same amount of time as doing the Penn Line.. but you dont have to walk. I have not tried taking the Camden Line down in the morning since I would have to pass Penn Station to get there.. Good Luck

Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
Right I'm another late to the post, but my question is: if parking is free at BWI (is it?) does it make more sense to drive from Owings Mills to BWI, park and take the Marc to Union Station, then red line to work? Or is it better to park at Penn Station, take the Marc, etc. which is faster, cheaper?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,172,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingforever View Post
Right I'm another late to the post, but my question is: if parking is free at BWI (is it?) does it make more sense to drive from Owings Mills to BWI, park and take the Marc to Union Station, then red line to work? Or is it better to park at Penn Station, take the Marc, etc. which is faster, cheaper?
Have you found parking to be free at any airport??

Parking Information & Rates | BWI Airport

According to BWI Train Station,
The BWI Train Station has 2 parking garages. The parking rate is $1 per hour with a maximum of $9 per day.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 AM

866 posts, read 2,619,629 times
Parking at the BWI rail station IS free if you have a MARC monthly pass from BWI to Union Station and you receive it by mail through commuterdirect.com. See the link below; scroll to the bottom of the page:

MARC Parking Details | Maryland Transit Administration

Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM

13 posts, read 17,432 times
I commute every day from Northern Baltimore to Springfield, Va through DC. (((((((((((((
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC