Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I guess I struggle to see any difference between the transplant douchebags who ask where someone went to college to determine whether that person's opinion is worth anything in their eyes, and your repeatedly asking where people went to high school to do the same. I guess I just don't understand spending your life hating a caricature of people you don't even know. Everyone I've ever known is far too complex for that.
Well put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 PM

84 posts, read 57,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
During the time I've been reading this forum, I've noticed a constant barrage of negative comments about this city, the people who live here, the events that take place here, the quality of life, etc.

Not that there aren't positive threads and discussions. But it seems to me there's way more criticism about DC here than what you read about cities on other forums. It's very disproportionate to the actual reality and experience of DC.

Am I wrong?
Well, sometimes naive Dreamers get rolled by the hard realities of Big City life.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
speaking of old stores, I fondly remember going to the CompUSA in Rockville back in the day. Even at that young age I was shocked at how much they charged for RAM.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM

349 posts, read 990,850 times
The complaints about DC are justified. It's a place of spectacular misery and loneliness. I've been to a lot of cities and nowhere else are people as socially isolated and depressed as here -- not even in NYC. After nearly a decade of living here, I've come to the conclusion that DC is almost 'cursed.'

Note: Florida is another area that gets a lot of criticism, too. DC is comparable to Florida in terms of social isolation.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
The complaints about DC are justified. It's a place of spectacular misery and loneliness. I've been to a lot of cities and nowhere else are people as socially isolated and depressed as here -- not even in NYC. After nearly a decade of living here, I've come to the conclusion that DC is almost 'cursed.'

Note: Florida is another area that gets a lot of criticism, too. DC is comparable to Florida in terms of social isolation.
hmmm...Happy? If you live around here, probably - WTOP.com

It's almost like this kind of thing is subjective and that the whiners on this board are projecting their misery onto other people. Almost.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Interesting article. If anyone is unhappy in DC they're not going to be happy anywhere.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
the happy people don't understand
why someone would not like dc.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
the happy people don't understand
why someone would not like dc.
I can understand why someone wouldn't be unhappy here, but statements like "It's a place of spectacular misery and loneliness" are ridiculous.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ lol i guess you would have to know
everybody's feelings of dc to fully
understand why some people are
unhappy then, huh?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I sometimes have to work long hours to make the income I need to comfortably be able to afford to raise a family here.

That's about the most "unhappy" thing I have to say about DC. But how is this any different than other cities in the same tier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC