Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 50,320 times

Advertisements

Ill be going to Georgetown Law and would be needing housing for me, my wife and two year old.

Im torn between living near the law school(to save time and allow me to be near my family while im in the law school) vs. outskirts of downtown (to save money, get the residential vibe)

I was thinking of living downtown but aside from the price being a major turn-off, I am thinking of my family's safety. I would want my wife and kid to be able to take leisurely walks or to do certain chores.

I was thinking of living in the area around GULC (meridian, gallery, etc) or in either crystal city/pentagon city..

Just wanted to know your thoughts on living downtown (especially those who went to georgetown law or those who have families and are living downtown) in view of the fact that I will be with my wife and daughter.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Crystal City/Pentagon City don't exactly have an inviting residential vibe. Mostly large grey utilitarian apartment and office buildings.
You don't have to choose between being downtown and close to school or being in a residential neighborhood but far from school. I would recommend Capitol Hill as a safe, residential neighborhood that is also close to Georgetown Law. It's not exactly "downtown" but practically so. Seems like it combines everything you are looking for.
Capitol Hill is probably a bit more expensive to live in than Crystal City or Pentagon City, but not massively so.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayani View Post
Ill be going to Georgetown Law and would be needing housing for me, my wife and two year old.

Im torn between living near the law school(to save time and allow me to be near my family while im in the law school) vs. outskirts of downtown (to save money, get the residential vibe)

I was thinking of living downtown but aside from the price being a major turn-off, I am thinking of my family's safety. I would want my wife and kid to be able to take leisurely walks or to do certain chores.

I was thinking of living in the area around GULC (meridian, gallery, etc) or in either crystal city/pentagon city..

Just wanted to know your thoughts on living downtown (especially those who went to georgetown law or those who have families and are living downtown) in view of the fact that I will be with my wife and daughter.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Whats your budget and how much space. If you can do $2400 a month, Crystal City would def be in your limit. There are some 2 bedrooms in SW Waterfront area for $2000 which is pretty safe. Especially in the daytime and early evenings. The new apartment buildings right next to the New York Avenue metro station would also be worth looking at.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 PM

thanks for the reply stateofnature

will check out capitol hill...People told me to check out Pentagon City since it has easy access to the usual necessities (costco, mall etc)....any suggestions on what apartments I should check in Capitol Hill though?

Heartbreak Kid,

Thanks for the reply..I just need a 1 Bedroom....Whats your take in Crystal City and Pentagon City?

My budget can reach 2400 a month just for rent alone....

the thing is, would it be worth it to live downtown and avoid the long commute altogether?

Id be needing temporary housing while looking for places as well..was thinking of going to oakwood in DC...is it any good?

I appreciate your replies..thanks again!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 AM

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this....

Also would like to know the vibe of Capitol Hill for those in the know? thanks!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Capitol Hill is actually pretty family friendly. A lil property crime. The lower the number on the streets/cross streets, the better (e.g. 2nd street NE would be a lot better than 20th street NE). It is definitely doable by your budget standards. I like Pentagon City/Crystal City because I actually prefer a quiet strip at night compared to bars, etc. You can jump on metro pretty quickly. Capitol Hill lacks the major grocery stores, shopping etc but it is convenient. I live in the city because I hate the suburban commute.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Thanks heartbreak kid..

About pentagon city: While I am inclined to look for a place in pentagon city, I am just worried about the commute should the rainy/winter seasons come..

As for Capitol Hill..Cant seem to find an apartment here thats fairly new and has 24 hour security...any suggestions?

Cleveland Park looks promising as well.....what are your thoughts on Cleveland park?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Capitol Hill is an old historic neighborhood. If you're looking for large corporate-managed apartment buildings with security guards, you're not going to find it there. It's rowhouses, small apartment buildings and other properties with private owners.
Not sure why you need 24-hour security as there are hundreds of families and thousands of renters like me who live on the Hill without it and do just fine.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayani View Post
Thanks heartbreak kid..

About pentagon city: While I am inclined to look for a place in pentagon city, I am just worried about the commute should the rainy/winter seasons come..

As for Capitol Hill..Cant seem to find an apartment here thats fairly new and has 24 hour security...any suggestions?

Cleveland Park looks promising as well.....what are your thoughts on Cleveland park?
New Luxury Apartments in Southeast DC | 909 at Capitol Yards

Cleveland Park is cool but pretty far from Gtown Law center.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM

thanks for the reply Heartbreak Kid..really appreciate it..

Cleveland Park does look too far...hmm..

Just a few more follow-up q's.:

(1) Capitol Hill- Just have a query...how do you think I can commute to georgetown law from capitol hill...walk score shows no easy/direct route to georgetown law..

(2) haave you heard of the NoMa area....what are your thoughts on this...I saw flats 130 and Archstone First and M which, based on their respective websites, look nice

duno if NoMa is a place where My kid and wife can take leisurely strolls in the afternoon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC