Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,707,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Same goes for the DC women. If you are not a lawyer, lobbyist, PR exec, or a big-time Hill staffer...women will tune you out. Women judge single men by their resume...not by their character. Single women in DC love men who have power and influence in this town. Makes me sick.
I see.

So New York and Los Angeles are full of lovely women who prefer to date construction workers rather than advertising executives or Hollywood power brokers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,673,350 times
Yeah, I think what you're all complaining about is the culture that naturally emerges in any epicenter of power - be it political, financial, technological, or entertainment...al. People on Wall Street, in Hollywood, and in Silicon Valley aren't exactly known for their charm.

As for getting up for pregnant women, I do certainly give up my seat. But I'm a male with a deep-rooted fear of mistaking an overweight woman for being pregnant. That woman would have to be about to pop for me to feel comfortable assuming she's pregnant. And, while I'm not proud of this, I do tend to agree with the poster who said that people choose to get pregnant. It's not the same as getting old. Though that doesn't change my outward behavior.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 AM

999 posts, read 2,005,862 times
It's called getting married to the lifestyle of big money...not to the man himself. Pathetic human beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I see.

So New York and Los Angeles are full of lovely women who prefer to date construction workers rather than advertising executives or Hollywood power brokers?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,318,107 times
I think it's foolish to pretend that average Joe Schmo's are not at a competitive disadvantage when trying to attract women versus more successful men. In all honesty, why the heck shouldn't they be? Keep in mind that it's difficult to get into a top Law School, get hired at a top Law firm, be a successful Wall Stree person or become a Physician. The people who are entering these fields have proven themselves (on average) to be harder working, more ambitious and more talented than Joe Schmo. Why should they not be rewarded for their efforts when it comes to meeting women? Controlling for other factors, why would most women prefer Joe the Plumber to someone in a more high-powered position?

There's more to it than money and power but, when someone has a high powered position and impressive pedigree backing them up, it is a testament to their success. The vast majority of people in these positions earned them while only a few got their through connections. There's no reason to pretend that these qualities won't help them in the dating world. It's not pathetic. If done within reason, it's actually a very practical strategy.

I think the people who complain about men and women only dating others who are successful should go on the market trying to date fat, ugly and unsuccessful people. Let us know how that turns out. It's like pretending that weight is not a factor. Maybe it's unfair, but we all know it's a factor so you have to adjust accordingly or deal with the consequences.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM

658 posts, read 1,889,267 times
like my mom tells me, "money isn't everything, but it is a lot of things."

Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 AM

999 posts, read 2,005,862 times
First, many high-power jobs in Washington, DC are obtained through connections...not necessarily by meritocracy. This is how the job hiring process works in many DC industries (law, public policy, public relations, think tanks, etc.) In the epicenters of DC power, it is WHO you know, not WHAT you know. If you are not aware of this system...then you are shockingly naive.

Second, many people entering the legal, medical and business management fields are products of a top-notch educational background. They were raised in higher-income neighborhoods and they had access to good private schools and academic tutors. Parents spared no expense to prepare their kids to get into an Ivy League school. They already had an advantage over students going to mediocre public schools when it comes to the college admissions process. Basically, lower income students are trapped into a lifetime of poverty and struggle because of their circumstances.

Plus, the parents of ambitious, high-achieving kids are usually intelligent and well-paid professionals themselves. Well educated and financially prosperous people are going to marry one another. So good breeding is a BIG factor here. And this is a big reason why income inequality is getting worse in this country. In the long run, income inequality will lead to greater social and political upheaval for the United States. It is frightening when you see the stark differences between neighborhoods of southeast DC and those in the northwest quadrant of the city.

You missed my point about the dating scene in DC. You have many UN-successful people trying to date successful people because they want the money lifestyle. Furthermore, they aspire to get a fast track into upper management by dating and marrying UP. This is how I view the 20 to 30 something DC female population. This is quite a sweeping indictment but the number of anecdotal cases add up.

The stench of corruption and superficial judgment is suffocating this town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I think it's foolish to pretend that average Joe Schmo's are not at a competitive disadvantage when trying to attract women versus more successful men. In all honesty, why the heck shouldn't they be? Keep in mind that it's difficult to get into a top Law School, get hired at a top Law firm, be a successful Wall Stree person or become a Physician. The people who are entering these fields have proven themselves (on average) to be harder working, more ambitious and more talented than Joe Schmo. Why should they not be rewarded for their efforts when it comes to meeting women? Controlling for other factors, why would most women prefer Joe the Plumber to someone in a more high-powered position?

There's more to it than money and power but, when someone has a high powered position and impressive pedigree backing them up, it is a testament to their success. The vast majority of people in these positions earned them while only a few got their through connections. There's no reason to pretend that these qualities won't help them in the dating world. It's not pathetic. If done within reason, it's actually a very practical strategy.

I think the people who complain about men and women only dating others who are successful should go on the market trying to date fat, ugly and unsuccessful people. Let us know how that turns out. It's like pretending that weight is not a factor. Maybe it's unfair, but we all know it's a factor so you have to adjust accordingly or deal with the consequences.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,707,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
It's called getting married to the lifestyle of big money...not to the man himself. Pathetic human beings.
Not arguing that premise. But saying that its exclusive to the DC area is incredibly naive.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 PM

Of course, there are people here who are well-connected. That said, there are a lot of people here who earned what they have. If you're not well-connected (I'm not myself), then you have to be that much better than others to reach the same point. Yeah, it unfair, but there's nothing anyone can really do to change that.

There's no doubt that being well off growing up helps. That said, those who are less fortunate have the choice of either trying to be their best or being frustrated with the cards being stacked against them (and using it as an excuse, which many people do). There are plenty of people from middle/working class families in the more prestigious fields. The vast majority of students in those graduate/professional programs borrow money to finance their education. Don't get me wrong; it does help to be privileged growing up. However, the vast majority of people do not grow up this way, including those who are very successful as adults.

I can see some women trying to date up. I doubt it works very well in most cases.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 PM

27 posts, read 75,925 times
Funny people do not talk about men wanting to date for money? True, alot of people have successful careers rooted in wealthy backgrounds...but there are some like me who came from dirt poor farming roots and worked are way up...frankly the number of men who want to date me just for the $$ is pathetic..dont get me wrong there are alot of great guys out there...but it's not totally a female thing and def is not exclusive to DC...LA is much worse in this sense....

Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 PM

Tthere are plenty of men wanting to date wealthy women, though the problem is still worse in the other direction. Here in DC, I haven't met as men looking for sugar mommas, but I'm not surprised if it's worse in LA than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: