Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Even if Wasington, DC is parasitic on the rest of the economy, then so what? It just means that the people who've chosen to live and work in this area made a wise decision while the rest of the country was living it up.

What comes around goes around, huh?
I dont think its that simple. When people are losing 35% of their checks to DC, only to see that money wasted on some GSA bs....someone is going to get pissed.

Slice out half of the govvies :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I dont think its that simple. When people are losing 35% of their checks to DC, only to see that money wasted on some GSA bs....someone is going to get pissed.

Slice out half of the govvies :-).

Only those in the highest brackets are losing 35% of their paycheck (before the countless deductions geared towards those with numerous assets already) to the guvment. Even with the highest salaries in the nation, the average DC worker doesn't approach that tax bracket. In fact, they're in the 28% bracket I believe. How did this country survive under the incredibly high tax rates post WW2 until Reagan? You know, the golden years that all of you anti-tax folks harp about so much.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
DC is hardly the only benefactor of federal spending. Rural America would be decimated without the protectionism of farm subsidies. Many of the larger defense contractors such as Boeing are based elsewhere and are huge booms to other cities economies (Seattle, Chicago). As the nation's capital, DC will always be dependent on federal spending just as state capitals are equally tied to state government. This should not surprise anyone and diatribes like the video posted only serve to rile up anti-gov't types who are outraged that the government even exists outside of a hollow shell to keep invaders out (and enforce a 19th century idea of social mores and state enforced discrimination... But that's a topic for another thread on another forum).

Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
"Salaries" and "median incomes" and "GRP per capita" mean very different things. This area does well on the latter two, but "salaries" are higher elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
DC is hardly the only benefactor of federal spending. Rural America would be decimated without the protectionism of farm subsidies.
Not to mention that the anti-government Red State types generally live in states that are also significant net benefactors from federal spending.

"Parasites," look thyself in the mirror.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 AM

199 posts, read 334,101 times
My favorite part was the interviewer's smug "ewwww" when the subject of ZipCars and Capital Bikeshare was brought up. How awful that people in DC have multiple options for getting from Point A to Point B without having to own a car!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
i guess that depends if your state
has a big enough tax base to
even consider it.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
.....what is the difference between INS and CBP again??
The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), now referred to as Legacy INS,[2] ceased to exist under that name on March 1, 2003, when most of its functions were transferred from the Department of Justice to three new components within the newly created Department of Homeland Security, as part of a major government reorganization following the September 11 attacks of 2001. These three components include U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

courtesy of wikipedia

Old 06-25-2012, 11:39 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i guess that depends if your state
has a big enough tax base to
even consider it.
I always think your posts must be haiku, so here are a few inspired by this thread:

"Way too much money
Always think they are better"
Tea party anger

Don't judge by my house
I am just a talking head
Conservative spin

Zip Cars and Bikeshares
Saving the planet right now
One ride at a time

Don't hate us because
We're extremely arrogant
In truth we are nerds

Last edited by JD984; 06-25-2012 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), now referred to as Legacy INS,[2] ceased to exist under that name on March 1, 2003, when most of its functions were transferred from the Department of Justice to three new components within the newly created Department of Homeland Security, as part of a major government reorganization following the September 11 attacks of 2001. These three components include U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

courtesy of wikipedia
Great, now I have 100 more examples for you including this one:

Obama seeks power to merge agencies - NBC Politics

He wouldnt be doing that if we didnt have a problem with duplication of work and role.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^2 lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: