Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Major changes in CAPITOL HILL over the last 5 years?

This is to continue from this 2007 thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...c-schools.html

Apparently, Capitol Hill has changed significantly from few good schools to plenty of great public schools. What other changes have people noticed in the Capitol Hill area?

Additionally, has the neighborhood been spreading significantly eastward since 2007 as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM

246 posts, read 589,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Apparently, Capitol Hill has changed significantly from few good schools to plenty of great public schools. What other changes have people noticed in the Capitol Hill area?

Additionally, has the neighborhood been spreading significantly eastward since 2007 as well?
I am not a Capitol Hill expert, but I do know that the school situation has changed drastically. In 2007, there really weren't any schools that most people would consider good options. Now there are a bunch, at least at the elementary level. The first to change was Brent Elementary. The neighborhood worked together and turned it into a very sought-after school. Now it is virtually impossible to get into it from out of bounds. Peabody, Watkins, and Maury are close behind. Tyler Elementary instituted an immersion program that is also quite popular. On the charter school front, Two Rivers has strong support from the community, and Appletree is a great early education program that is generally accessible. Capitol Hill Day School has also gotten a stronger reputation in the private school arena during this period.

Middle school is still a problem. There currently aren't any very good options, and it is very discouraging to the community. DC in general is still suffering in the middle school years, but there are a few options in other parts of the city that people have adopted (Deal, Washington Latin, and possibly Capital City). The Capitol Hill community is working very hard (I believe through MOTH - Mothers on the Hill - a very influential parents' group) to change this. They were courting DCPS for a new program (likely at Jefferson), but some have abandoned those efforts, putting their energy into the new middle/high school that will be opening in Penn Quarter - BASIS. I have great hope that there will be several good options in the next few years, but they aren't quite there yet.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

yes. A few years ago Eastern market was basically the southeast edge of new development, now its gone down 8th to the Barracks. Its gone south to merge with the ballpark area. Not as familiar with the eastern edge, but its pretty much gone from around that big park all the way to the stadium property. And of course H Street NE has been transformed.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
It's moving more North and South than East. H Street and the waterfront are the biggest changes.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
I am not a Capitol Hill expert, but I do know that the school situation has changed drastically. In 2007, there really weren't any schools that most people would consider good options. Now there are a bunch, at least at the elementary level. The first to change was Brent Elementary. The neighborhood worked together and turned it into a very sought-after school. Now it is virtually impossible to get into it from out of bounds. Peabody, Watkins, and Maury are close behind. Tyler Elementary instituted an immersion program that is also quite popular. On the charter school front, Two Rivers has strong support from the community, and Appletree is a great early education program that is generally accessible. Capitol Hill Day School has also gotten a stronger reputation in the private school arena during this period.

Middle school is still a problem. There currently aren't any very good options, and it is very discouraging to the community. DC in general is still suffering in the middle school years, but there are a few options in other parts of the city that people have adopted (Deal, Washington Latin, and possibly Capital City). The Capitol Hill community is working very hard (I believe through MOTH - Mothers on the Hill - a very influential parents' group) to change this. They were courting DCPS for a new program (likely at Jefferson), but some have abandoned those efforts, putting their energy into the new middle/high school that will be opening in Penn Quarter - BASIS. I have great hope that there will be several good options in the next few years, but they aren't quite there yet.
Interesting, as my son is 5-years-old right now.

Middle School....seems to vary from region to region. It that essentially 4th grade through 6th grade?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Middle school typically starts in 6th or 7th grade in this region.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post

I understand that Stuart-Hobson is quite good. Friendship Chamberlain (charter) is supposed to be decent.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 PM

494 posts, read 849,700 times
What about the area closer to the Stadium-Armory Metro? I worry that anything near Eastern Market or Potomac Ave I have been priced out of (900K budget).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC