U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,866,194 times
Default DC "high brow" events listing

So...

Does anyone know of a website or email list that compiles all of the public lectures, forums, booksignings, etc. that occur at the plethora of Think Tanks, Institutes, Consortiumms, Secret Societies, etc in the DC area?

Cause you know, it'd be sweet if there was one.

There's gotta be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 2,795,010 times
it sure as hell won't be in the City Paper

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM

533 posts, read 1,014,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
So...

Does anyone know of a website or email list that compiles all of the public lectures, forums, booksignings, etc. that occur at the plethora of Think Tanks, Institutes, Consortiumms, Secret Societies, etc in the DC area?

There's gotta be one.
I don't know if there is a main website with all the information on public forums, but all these organizations have their own websites where they list events.

Also, I don't think a secret society would have a website listing its events, lol. A secret society wouldn't even have a website, because then it wouldn't be a secret.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM

585 posts, read 664,738 times
Quote:
So...

There's gotta be one.
Yeah no. Either you know or you don't.

But I'm on the Cato list and get emails from them all the time about meetings and book signings and whatever.

If you have to ask in a forum like this, you need to revisit your strategy.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Yeah no. Either you know or you don't.

But I'm on the Cato list and get emails from them all the time about meetings and book signings and whatever.

If you have to ask in a forum like this, you need to revisit your strategy.
Eh...Do what?

Give me a freakin' break. I just got into town not too long ago and I'm not exactly mixing and mingling with the literati yet, if that's what you are getting at.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM

66 posts, read 75,222 times
Go to the websites of the organizations that share your political viewpoint (or ones that don't, if that's what you're into) and sign up for their email lists. DC is very polarized and there really isn't a bipartisan resource for all intellectual events. Also, if there are book stores near you, get on their lists as well. Busboys and Poets might have one, I'm not sure. You could also use the universities as a resource, sometimes they will have events open to the public, so you could check their websites every so often to see if anything pops up.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:59 AM

347 posts, read 394,491 times
I get a lot of info on literary events from Politics and Prose, LinkedIn groups, the Writer's Center in Bethesda or from friends on Facebook. My local college alumni club is very good about sponsoring such events. Also, if you join the Smithsonian, they will bug the heck out of you.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM

513 posts, read 372,758 times
Join the young Democrats society of Washington DC. You will meet some of the most anti-men women you will ever encounter.

I belong to the Kennedy Center Donor Program/Association as a highDonor and go to 4 or 5 events a year. Much better group of people. Surprisingly there are groups of single women that go to these events.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM

585 posts, read 664,738 times
Quote:
Eh...Do what?

Give me a freakin' break. I just got into town not too long ago and I'm not exactly mixing and mingling with the literati yet, if that's what you are getting at.
Welcome!

Just saying. The secret society meetings aren't broadcasted on CD (as far as I know, I could be out of the loop as I haven't renewed my Illuminati membership since last year).

BUT... I've learned that the more you get out there, the more you'll find those opportunities. There isn't some magic website out there with all of them (or else every jerk with an Internet connection could crash them *cough*) but start shaking hands and the doors will open.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 2,059,760 times
Go to receptions on Capitol hill as often as possible. If you have friends who work on the hill, ask to use their name to sign up. I have met a lot of people that way. I work in Higher Ed Policy so I try to attend anything higher ed related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC