Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,094,340 times

Advertisements

So, we're down here in Greenville and have spent several years creating and refining our fast food concept and one of selling points is no hfcs, which means that we will only be selling sodas with pure cane sugar. Here's the problem; their are dozens of companies that sell canned soda like this, but we can't find any vendors that sell pure can sugar via a fountain system except for a company called Puck's and it's not that practical to have a fast food joint and only sell cans and not have fountain drinks. Apparently Taylors Gourmet Sandwich Shop and Pete's APizza use them, but after hours of research, I can't find a website for them anywhere, it's absurd. Any help from you local DC guys and gals would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,360 times
Boylan Bottling Company sells fountain systems for their cane sugar sodas. Puck's and Boylans taste very similar; I didn't notice the change for a couple of visits to Taylor.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Boylan Bottling Company sells fountain systems for their cane sugar sodas. Puck's and Boylans taste very similar; I didn't notice the change for a couple of visits to Taylor.
Because of your post, I found about about Boylans having pure cane sugar fountain soda. Thank you so much. I can't even find a website for Puck's though; weird.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Because of your post, I found about about Boylans having pure cane sugar fountain soda. Thank you so much. I can't even find a website for Puck's though; weird.
A blog post comment, theoretically from a local pizza shop that carries Pucks, said that Pucks was started by a former part-owner of Boylan. No idea if that's true or not, but it is odd that Pucks has no online footprint. I originally thought it was just a rebranded Boylan because of the similar taste and flavors.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
A blog post comment, theoretically from a local pizza shop that carries Pucks, said that Pucks was started by a former part-owner of Boylan. No idea if that's true or not, but it is odd that Pucks has no online footprint. I originally thought it was just a rebranded Boylan because of the similar taste and flavors.
Yeah, it's bizarre, no website, twitter, facebook, etc. Kind of odd in 2012 to have zero ability for potential clients to reach you. I called the manager of Taylors and spoke to him and even he didn't have a number or email for them, just the distributor in Maryland.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 17,122 times
Arrow The story behind Puck's and Boylan's...

Apparently, the two brothers who ran Boylans were unfortunately on the short side of a hostile takeover of their company by a bank. The new ownership has been cheapening the product for some time now. Well the two brothers knew they had a good product and started their new company, Puck's. Basically all the same recipes and flavors as Boylan's. I cannot find much on the web but was forwarded some powerpoint slides on the company.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,137 times
This makes sense. I remember Taylors used to always have a Boylans drink fountain then one day I started seeing Pucks and was curious what happened

Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,366 times
Odd, I stopped by Taylor's today for the first time and had a Puck's Cane Sugar soda. Pretty good.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 17,014 times
I seems like a generic version of Boylan. After tasting all the flavors, maybe it is even the same recipes -- which would make sense if a former employee of the company left and took copies of the recipes with him. I asked at a couple of retaurants selling Puck's, and they said Pucks undercut the price of Boylan by like 25%. So hopefully Taylor G stores will pass some of that savings on to us. EIther that, or bring back the real deal. If you make it a lot cheaper for everyone, you'll probably sell more.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times
I was going to mention Boylan's, but I've only ever seen it in machines such as those at Chop't, never for sale anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC