Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

361 posts, read 853,891 times

Advertisements

Wow--thorough and interesting report. No doubt SF is a great food town, but when I'm out there (as I will be in a few weeks), I still find myself having to "work" at finding great affordable places to eat, especially close to downtown where I am usually staying. When I've ventured out into the neighborhoods blindly, I often found myself in the midst of residential areas for blocks. Definitely though found the best Chinese food ever in "Inner Richmond" (Do SFers actually call it that?). In what neighborhood was your churro-bani mi-Russian bakery dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM

361 posts, read 853,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post

Now, one of the reasons I've considered leaving DC is because everything here is government and everyone is tied to government - it's so much in your face you can't possibly escape it. Every party I go to, people start off asking "what do you do" and inevitably it comes back to the government. I also believe a government-driven society induces mediocrity and breeds laziness. I've seen this in people who originally come here - they start "settling" and before you know it, the fire is gone out from them.

SF was quite remarkable in this regards - it has a forward thinking passion that you just don't find in DC. In DC, it's all about the past and present (maybe because the government budgeting system?), whereas in my talks with SF'ers, it was all about the present and future - what could become of this, why X should do that and how it will affect Y, etc. I felt energized and this is something which I feel is very American but is not widely practiced in DC - visioning what is possible.

Now, I'm not talking about IT and tech. I'm also talking about simpler industries such as food and dining to even banking. I think on the finance front, the growth of Silicon Valley and Asia has largely influenced banks. I won't speak too much of this part since I don't want to bore people, but suffice it to say, there is a passion belying SF that has affected the ways a variety of industries go about their business.
This part seems quite at odds with the DC I know. Seems that "everybody" here is quite obsessed with trying to change something, lobby for something, influence something, gain access to someone for some future move or position. I don't know if it's as much about "settling" for some people as it is about just moving on to the next phase when you decide that your lofty ideals and goals no longer matter to you as much or you've got other more important things at stake -- like a family and kids to raise.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM

999 posts, read 2,010,531 times
The most inspirational quotes of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
People who live in their misery and cynicism too long forget that the people around them are human.
So true. So true.

Quote:
It's true that in many cases, people deceive themselves into believing that something is better than what it really is. It's not self-serving or patronizing. In fact, I'd say that reflecting on things from time to time - and in this manner - can make for a better life. If more people did it, and took action on those things that they found to be wanting, then I dare say the world would have more happy people - not self-serving or patronizing in the least, but a desire to be a better person.
Preach it!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Quote:
Now I hope you're not talking about me since I don't "hate" DC. I think that's a pretty strong word.

I've lived in DC for 6 years and own two properties here. I've had some good times and there are a number of things that I like about DC (please see above my comparisons). But, like most things that have been with you for a number of years, be it a car, house or girlfriend (hopefully not husband or wife!), there comes a time to reflect on whether you're truly satisfied, and my time has now come.

It's true that in many cases, people deceive themselves into believing that something is better than what it really is. It's not self-serving or patronizing. In fact, I'd say that reflecting on things from time to time - and in this manner - can make for a better life. If more people did it, and took action on those things that they found to be wanting, then I dare say the world would have more happy people - not self-serving or patronizing in the least, but a desire to be a better person.

In any case, SF is not for many people but I think that my having spent real money to go out there, and do some fact checking with my own two eyes and feet deserves a bit of respect - I'm not an armchair wanderer.

Now with that said, who the hell knows when/if I'm moving out there! Exploratory negotiations have begun but it might take many months before the move takes place, if it does. Until then, I plan on enjoying the fruits (read: women) of DC.
I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to clb10's post.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
Wow--thorough and interesting report. No doubt SF is a great food town, but when I'm out there (as I will be in a few weeks), I still find myself having to "work" at finding great affordable places to eat, especially close to downtown where I am usually staying. When I've ventured out into the neighborhoods blindly, I often found myself in the midst of residential areas for blocks. Definitely though found the best Chinese food ever in "Inner Richmond" (Do SFers actually call it that?). In what neighborhood was your churro-bani mi-Russian bakery dinner?
The last neighborhood I lived in was the Inner Richmond (so yes, locals do call it that), you will find AWESOME spots out there - in fact, I just came back from a one day trip home for the first time since I left last week and even though I was short on time, I had to make time to get to Clement St. My favorite restaurant is Q Q Restaurant, it's fantastic "American" with a twist, do not miss the calamari if you like it, otherwise the mac + cheese and tots is amazing, or just about anything else on the menu and they have one of the best wine lists in town. Plus there is great dim sum out there as well - the 38 Geary will take you that way if you are bussing it. You will also find a great Russian bakery out that way, just keep taking the 38 Geary from downtown toward the ocean until you see it on your right, it's out in the avenues.

The residential places are the best, actually. Everything downtown kind of sucks depending on where you are - either overpriced or filled with homeless people.

Had I stayed another day, I would have gotten a shrimp and avocado quesadilla at El Farolito on 24th and Mission (you can take BART or the 14 Mission, I'd suggest BART since the 14 can get a bit sketchy and gross). GREAT burritos there, especially if you're drunk.

You can get some the best banh mi in the Tenderloin on Larkin St. I forget the name of the place. Take the 19 Polk up from Market St toward the Wharf and you'll see it (all the Vietnamese signs will tell you you are there). I actually made homemade banh mi for my preppy, Virginia boyfriend a few weeks back, he'd never tried it and absolutely loved it (it IS pretty dang good).

PM me if you want some more suggestions, happy to help. As much as I hated the overall feel of SF toward the end of my time there, I do really miss the food and the "ambiance" of real life that's always swirling around you when you're out and about in town. It amazed me how it all came back to me as soon as I hit the city last week.

Oh and nasridian, GREAT report, I'm sure you'll have a great time! Best of luck and same goes for you if you want some suggestions just get in touch. Looks like not much has changed since I left 2 years ago, a few places are closed but most everything else I knew and loved is still there going strong. I sort of can't wait to go back in a few weeks - funny how much I could appreciate it now that I no longer live there. I MAY have had a moment of homesickness but realized I could never be happy there again like I once was, but appreciated that I could enjoy San Francisco in a way I didn't when I lived there toward the end knowing I would be heading home to good ole SE DC.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
People who live in their misery and cynicism too long forget that the people around them are human.
Tell it to the 85% of the self-important, entitled, bureaucrat zombies that make up the District...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I love how to some of the haters on this board the explanation is never that some people have different tastes and that some might like DC and its people and others might not. It's that the people who like DC have somehow deceived themselves into believing something objectively "false." Very self-serving, patronizing argument.
I'm sure members of Al-Qaeda think the other members of Al-Qaeda are just grand.

If you enjoy the "excitement level of a 1040 Form", stale, "guaranteed step increases during a recession" mindset that infects D.C. then great...you are in heaven.

You shouldn't attack those of us who enjoy humanity, however.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
No wonder you're so miserable here. You think anyone who disagrees with you is not part of humanity. I'd hate my life too if that was my attitude.

Also did you ever think that there are some who see positive qualities beyond the "excitement level of a 1040 Form"? It's sad that you think that the way you look at the world is the one, only true correct way. You bring up Al Qaeda, yet your one-sided outlook much more closely resembles Al Qaeda.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
The wide variety of ethnicities (and let's get this straight, DC is not ethnic-driven unless you come from the Ozarks) is greatly reflected in its restaurants. From cheap to expensive, Mongolian to Peruvian, you can find it all.
I guess DC proper may be lacking in ethnic restaurants then. The suburbs are much more ethnic driven. Just between Silver Spring, Wheaton and Rockville, I've had Italian, French, Greek, Russian, Brazilian, Peruvian, Mexican, Argentinian, Salvadoran, Caribbean, Korean, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Indian (north and south), Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Burmese, Indonesian, Lebanese, Kosher, Ethiopian.

I'm finding more and more non-chain ethnic foods all the time. And that doesn't even include Virginia. You need to get out to the suburbs more often. ;-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-31-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Tell it to the 85% of the self-important, entitled, bureaucrat zombies that make up the District...
Your hyperbole knows no bounds. I do find it interesting that the people who blame the deficiencies of others for their own misery seem to reflect the very characteristics that they declare to hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC