U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM

37 posts
Metro Washington/Baltimore. It's the second largest metro area on the East Coast after NY/NJ/CT, and 5th largest in the US, These are only a few posters here out of about 6 million and growing fast. >>

DC's a big girl!

Sorry, 4th largest in the nation! There's going to be problems, but what large metro area doesn't? I've heard Phoenix has serious major rampant crime now. Atlanta area was unreal when I lived there. We're talking metro areas, not just the core city, DC as most residents know is not just the District, but the older suburbs been there so long, as well as the newer ones, and exurbs.
Like major int'l centers around the world, London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc they've all got their problems big time just like DC area does.

DC usually refers to the core city, but "Washington" refers to also those areas of Va ( NoVA region) and MD (suburban MD), now parts of W. VA. also are considered suburbs.

You're going to take some time to get the make up of the area, where is where, what is Northern Va, what is DC exactly, what is Montgomery County vs PG county, Eastern Shore, etc etc.

DC is more than just the District of Columbia proper. Youll make it, most people do survive it, it's just not a smaller town like Austin.

DC's a Big Girl!

Last edited by Thoro; 10-10-2007 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:13 AM

35 posts, read 101,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post

As I mentioned earlier... when I get out of my car at the local Wal-Mart and am approached by 3 or more African American men informing me that they will "watch my car for me", I know just to get back in and leave, because it's either pay them for services rendered, or pay to have your car repaired while they vandalize it in the parkinglot while your inside for "refusing their offer."
Not quite sure what the race of these men has do with anything, but maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

Unread 11-18-2007, 12:37 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,115,124 times
I love living in DC.

Best city in America to live, in my opinion, especially if you're young and single.

Unread 11-18-2007, 12:54 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,424,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
DC is a great place to live. The folks who post here and complain are not representative of the area as a whole. Most of them are suffering from the consequences of ill-considered decisions -- such as the insistence on having a large, newly constructed home, which requires a long and draining commute. If you know how to live within your means, and you can accept that housing in a major, desirable metropolitan area is naturally going to cost more than housing in a small midwestern or southern city, then you'll have no problems.
That's just not true. We were never looking for a big new house (we rent a small Cape Cod built probably in the 1950s) and we knew the commute would be rough before we ever moved out here. It's very hard to live within your means here, because housing is so obscenely expensive, you just don't have much left for anything else. It is more expensive than other major metros I've been to. My wife and I together make more than $120K a year, and we'll never afford a house out here.

Yes, the area is largely recession-proof, which is why there are so many people here, but the downside is the same -- there are SO MANY people here. And a LOT of them are cranky, rude, self-absorbed Type A ladder climbers.

There's a lot to do out here, but it's very expensive, the summers are miserable, and you'd better pack your patience. You need a certain temperament, and enough money, to be able to appreciate this area.

Unread 11-18-2007, 12:58 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,424,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
Type A?

"1 An intrinsic insecurity or insufficient level of self-esteem, which is considered to be the root cause of the syndrome. This is believed to be covert and therefore less observable.
2 Time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation.
3 Free floating hostility, which can be triggered even over little incidents.[2]"

Yes, there is a lot of that going around here.
It's one of the defining characteristics of this area, in fact.

Unread 11-18-2007, 02:52 PM

35 posts, read 101,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
That's just not true. We were never looking for a big new house (we rent a small Cape Cod built probably in the 1950s) and we knew the commute would be rough before we ever moved out here. It's very hard to live within your means here, because housing is so obscenely expensive, you just don't have much left for anything else. It is more expensive than other major metros I've been to. My wife and I together make more than $120K a year, and we'll never afford a house out here.

You need a certain temperament, and enough money, to be able to appreciate this area.
Case in point...

Median Price Breaks $400,000 Barrier - washingtonpost.com

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,170 times
I love Washington that is why im moving there from Denver

Unread 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM

19,178 posts, read 18,130,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
Nevertheless, as a rule of thumb, one can consider carrying mortage debt of about four times one's gross annual income. You have to make adjustments to fit the taxes and insurance in, but even so, with an annual income of $120K, there are a lot of very nice properties that will fall within the affordable range. The sticker is the down-payment, which is what leads a lot of folks into condo's and townhouses first. Hopefully, the the net capital gains on 3-4 of years of living in one of those (plus maybe a raise or promotion or two) can take care of at least half that. It's still not a cakewalk in this area, but it's not a situtaion of total desperation either...

Unread 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM

650 posts, read 3,470,649 times
I love the DC area. It's my favorite place that I've lived in, and I've lived in a bunch of different cities. My husband and I moved here from the midwest last year for a change of scenery. I personally haven't encountered many type A-type people--at least not enough to make a blanket statement about the area's population--but then again I don't work in the business sector so maybe that's why. Everyone I've met has been extremely nice--however it's making actual friends that has been the problem for my husband and me. We have yet to make any actual friends, though we have a few acquaintances.

Anyhow, we love it here and would settle down here except that the housing prices are too expensive.

Unread 11-21-2007, 07:16 PM

22 posts, read 54,335 times
I cannot believe how negative people are about DC on here! I lived in DC for four years, moved to Chicago and had a baby, and now I'm on my way back to DC. I thought Chicago would be more "family friendly" but I was so so so very wrong. I miss DC so much. Its a great city. People talking about not walking around after dark by yourself, are you kidding? Were you in the SE? You just have to know the city. Before you put yourself in a dangerous position, learn the streets, figure out where is good and where is bad (it changes by the block in some places). If you're not stupid about it, you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC