U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,985,105 times

Advertisements

This is a smart forum so I'm sure you guys are all well aware of Richard Florida and his Creative Class theory. For those who don't, a brief quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:
  • Super-Creative Core: This group comprises about 12 percent of all U.S. jobs. It includes a wide range of occupations (e.g. science, engineering, education, computer programming, research), with arts, design, and media workers forming a small subset. Florida considers those belonging to this group to “fully engage in the creative process” (2002, p. 69). The Super-Creative Core is considered innovative, creating commercial products and consumer goods. The primary job function of its members is to be creative and innovative. “Along with problem solving, their work may entail problem finding” (Florida, 2002, p. 69).
  • Creative Professionals: These professionals are the classic knowledge-based workers and include those working in healthcare, business and finance, the legal sector, and education. They “draw on complex bodies of knowledge to solve specific problems” using higher degrees of education to do so (Florida, 2002).
Now, from the Atlantic Cities, a measure that looks by county level finds the DC metro area is easily the biggest cluster of the creative class workforce, with a whopping 7 out of the top 10 counties being in the DC region.

Quote:
1. Los Alamos County, NM 65.9 percent
2. Arlington County, VA 60.8 percent
3. Falls Church, VA 58.9 percent
4. District of Columbia 53.7 percent
5. Kalawao County, HI 52.5 percent
6. Alexandria, VA 53.4 percent
7. New York County, NY 51.9 percent
8. Fairfax County, VA 51.8 percent
9. Howard County, MD 51.6 percent
10. Loudoun County, VA 50.9 percent
The educated workforce and the interesting & research-oriented work is IMHO the best thing about the DC region. The high COL, traffic, humidity, snobbery, etc...are worth it to me.

Obligatory:

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM

8,019 posts, read 7,931,096 times
well at the end of the day, that still doesn't
make you better than anyone else tho.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Did I say it did? Or even imply that?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,997,856 times
Quote:
science, engineering, education, computer programming, research
That's a really, uh, creative definition of the term "creative." Then again, maybe it isn't.

I've just always associated "creative professional" with a hipster who owns a Mac and makes semi-pro short films.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 AM

^2 just saying. who really likes
snobbery but snobs? most people
just deal with it, but they know
it's stupid.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM

I didn't say I liked snobbery. I said it was "worth it" as in worth putting up with for the positive things about DC. Did you also think I said I liked the high COL, traffic, and humidity?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM

998 posts, read 1,513,222 times
Mr. Hater here.

Richard Florida is a crank and his Creative Class arguments are not that convincing. Some articles challenging Florida's economic development theory are below.

Richard Florida's Creative Class Bull (Bleep).

The Fall of the Creative Class.

The Ruse of the Creative Class.

Happy reading!

Signed--The Hater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
This is a smart forum so I'm sure you guys are all well aware of Richard Florida and his Creative Class theory. For those who don't, a brief quote from Wikipedia:

Now, from the Atlantic Cities, a measure that looks by county level finds the DC metro area is easily the biggest cluster of the creative class workforce, with a whopping 7 out of the top 10 counties being in the DC region.

The educated workforce and the interesting & research-oriented work is IMHO the best thing about the DC region. The high COL, traffic, humidity, snobbery, etc...are worth it to me.

Obligatory:

Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM

^2 yes kind of, since you don't mind it.

it's all good tho. whatever.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Coldbliss, I like some of your posts but you are kind of a hater. You can't think of anything positive to ever post about DC? The parks? Bikeshare system? Monuments? Architecture? It's just hard to take someone seriously when they are so one-sided on everything. Heck even in my OP, which is a super-booster post for this board, had four things listed I don't even like about DC.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM

574 posts, read 1,504,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post

Obligatory:
First off, the picture of the dog is funny.

Second of all, Richard Florida is just an advocate of class status to me. His argument is basically saying "since these people have advanced degrees, and a professional job that doesn't involve routinized work, they are better than the other 88% of workers in society."

Now, I'll give Richard Florida props on this: this idea is pretty old, but he knew how to remix it well enough so he can sell some books. That's the only reason I see him coming up with this idea of a "creative class", it's just for money making purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC