U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 PM

3,793 posts, read 3,443,731 times

Advertisements

How would Washington be different today if the District of Columbia was still its original diamond shape? In other words, what if Arlington and a portion of Alexandria wasn't returned to Virginia?
Well, for one thing, DC would have about 881,000 people, rather than the present 618,000. That would boost DC's population ranking from 25'th largest to 11"th largest city in the US.
But how would other things have be affected if DC was still in its original configuration? Things such as average income, unemployment stats, crime rankings, housing, and economic status? Would Washington have benefitted from this?

Last edited by 1greatcity; 07-25-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,882,877 times
I'm not sure you can just take raw numbers and extrapolate. Part of the reason Arlington is so populous is specifically because it's not within Washington, DC. It is right next door but never had the depth of corruption, financial insolvency, and bad schools (we'll assume crime would have impacted Arlington similar to how it impacted Georgetown / Foggy Bottom / Glover Park, which was never much even at the height of DC's crime problems) so I highly doubt it would be as populous today if it never left DC.

Also, I'm not sure the Ballston corridor would have developed the way it did if it weren't its own political entity. During the period when Arlington was restructuring itself around the Metro, I can't say I saw many parts of DC outside of downtown being developed in a similar dense fashion. So, that would have kept its population lower as well.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Arlington and DC reunite many years from now. With DC on such a fast trajectory and the State of Virginia holding values and funding priorities increasingly at odds with Arlington, it's in some ways being isolated and finding itself constantly battling more suburban and rural values. It's a stretch, but if DC gets its house in order Arlington might find stronger political opportunities by completing the diamond again.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM

9,179 posts, read 4,269,682 times
Arlington (and Alexandria) will never re-unite with the District. If you polled every single resident of these jurisdictions I don't think you would find two people who think it would be a good idea. Dealing with Richmond might be a pain but being part of DC? Fuhgeddiboudit it. More likely would be DC becoming a part of the state of Maryland. Washington, Md.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,275,085 times
Arlington wouldn't have a ton of skyscrapers, they'd be subject to the same height restriction as DC so it wouldn't be as populated. It'd be fascinating to imagine what Arlington would've been like when DC was at its worst, no river to buffer lol. I think it'd be much less populated and not nearly the centre of business it is now but otherwise similar in character.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,882,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Arlington (and Alexandria) will never re-unite with the District. If you polled every single resident of these jurisdictions I don't think you would find two people who think it would be a good idea. Dealing with Richmond might be a pain but being part of DC? Fuhgeddiboudit it. More likely would be DC becoming a part of the state of Maryland. Washington, Md.
You don't really explain your argument, but isn't a large reason a lot of people have moved to Arlington in the past 15 years or so because they want the benefits of the big city without the down sides? If DC ever moved more toward governance similar to how NYC has done and emerged into more of a global city model that addressed a lot of the down sides while becoming less of an everyday city that simply houses a lot of political power, I don't think it's inconceivable that Arlingtonians would want to be a part of that. I'm talking decades from now, at least.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 AM

6,509 posts, read 6,429,279 times
Arlington would be a better place to live.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 AM

4,951 posts, read 8,514,922 times
Arlington is so lame!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM

9,179 posts, read 4,269,682 times
Here are a few reasons why Arlington (and Alexandria) would never agree to being part of the District: no congressional representation, higher taxes, lousy services, dysfunctional school system, indifferent and unresponsive city bureaucracy (anybody read the letter to the Post the other day from a guy who had gotten a $500 ticket for having a plastic cover on his license plates?), etc., etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,449,321 times
arlingtonians and alexandrians would be able to say
they are from dc without stretching the truth a little.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,061,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Arlington would be a better place to live.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Arlington is so lame!
I disagree. Just like Bluefly explained many people want the fun of city living with the hassles.

I used to live in Arlington and moved to Springfield to shorten my commute (only to be transferred a few weeks later but that's a different story). However, I really miss it. I really enjoyed Arlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
arlingtonians and alexandrians would be able to say
they are from dc without stretching the truth a little.
Shoulder shrug. I mix depending on the conversation. Trying to explain where Springfield is located is no fun and extremely time consuming. I tried this once and was scolded for not just saying DC. So the whole don't claim DC when you don't live in the city limits thing is silly. Saying DC is just plain easier. Sometimes I'll add and say "DC area".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or