Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM

43 posts, read 64,746 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already. I've been perusing the site for the a couple of weeks, and I have not found an answer to this specific question. You all were extremely helpful when I first made my move, so here goes....

I currently live in Largo, MD. Work in Arlingtion (off hours, 4 day week) so my commute is 35- 40 minutes both ways. I am very happy I made the move to the DMV. I'm from NJ/ NY and love the slower pace, and easier access to the city. There seems to be a lot to do, and I love the hustle and bustle (guess I'm used to it), the job opportunities, and the large amount of educated/ career oriented folks in such a concentrated area. There also seems to be a community feel that you just don't get north of here.

Anyway, I am renting a 1 BD that, for the most part, meets my needs. I park in a garage (at no additional cost), I have a full washer/ dryer. The community is gated (= some security) I do not have to deal with roaches/ rodents, and so far, I have only paid $1215 (move- in special). My rent is about to go up to $1350 (sounds more like it, I know), and I am considering a move.

I think I would enjoy living in the District, or even somewhere similar to the suburban feel of Largo, but with more diversity (it's PG ). I love the fact that I am extremely close to shopping areas, a variety of grocery stores (Wegmans! <3), and Target, but just wondering if there is somewhere else you would suggest moving.

Silver Spring (possibly too far from work. I defintely do not want to be any further from work. Bowie is farther out too)? Columbia Heights? Petworth? Anywhere in NOVA besides Alexandria (too congested, just not my cup of tea). I looked in Fairfax (when I had a potential roomie) and liked a particular area there, but I think it's a bit pricey for me alone. I'm 30, single, and like to go out every now and then. I'm more interested in networking and arts/ music/ entertainment.

If I love the area, I would be willing to spend $1500 for rent. I would like to feel safe, even if the area is not entirely free of crime (perhaps use Largo for measure. I feel safe enough there). Specific apartments would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,605 times
What about friends/social circles/career goals/marriage etc?

Small note: I moved from PG and I am never coming back. My rent went up 35%, but my taxes and car insurance dropped by so much the difference was negligable. So thats like you moving and saying you can only pay $1500, but then if you get an extra $500 per month, that number could change to $2000.

I dont know your situation, but I will tell you that when I left PG, I was mad at myself for not doing it faster, as I felt like I wasted some years there. PG is pretty terrible compared to the rest of the DMV, and NOVA/DC definitaly injected some life into me for several different reasons.

My advice to you, if your commute and social life are taking a hit, dont walk, run to your new home. You probably wont regret being closer to work, having more friends come by, and going out on more dates lol. But then again, I am from PG so I grew to hate it. Still, try getting a hotel/staying with a friend by the job for a few days, and seeing if being closer or in a different neighborhood actually makes a difference.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSW View Post
Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered already. I've been perusing the site for the a couple of weeks, and I have not found an answer to this specific question. You all were extremely helpful when I first made my move, so here goes....

I currently live in Largo, MD. Work in Arlingtion (off hours, 4 day week) so my commute is 35- 40 minutes both ways. I am very happy I made the move to the DMV. I'm from NJ/ NY and love the slower pace, and easier access to the city. There seems to be a lot to do, and I love the hustle and bustle (guess I'm used to it), the job opportunities, and the large amount of educated/ career oriented folks in such a concentrated area. There also seems to be a community feel that you just don't get north of here.

Anyway, I am renting a 1 BD that, for the most part, meets my needs. I park in a garage (at no additional cost), I have a full washer/ dryer. The community is gated (= some security) I do not have to deal with roaches/ rodents, and so far, I have only paid $1215 (move- in special). My rent is about to go up to $1350 (sounds more like it, I know), and I am considering a move.

I think I would enjoy living in the District, or even somewhere similar to the suburban feel of Largo, but with more diversity (it's PG ). I love the fact that I am extremely close to shopping areas, a variety of grocery stores (Wegmans! <3), and Target, but just wondering if there is somewhere else you would suggest moving.

Silver Spring (possibly too far from work. I defintely do not want to be any further from work. Bowie is farther out too)? Columbia Heights? Petworth? Anywhere in NOVA besides Alexandria (too congested, just not my cup of tea). I looked in Fairfax (when I had a potential roomie) and liked a particular area there, but I think it's a bit pricey for me alone. I'm 30, single, and like to go out every now and then. I'm more interested in networking and arts/ music/ entertainment.

If I love the area, I would be willing to spend $1500 for rent. I would like to feel safe, even if the area is not entirely free of crime (perhaps use Largo for measure. I feel safe enough there). Specific apartments would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!
If you're interested in arts/music/entertainment, I'm not sure how PG is a good fit. Why not Arlington? It is a good fit for your requirements.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
What about friends/social circles/career goals/marriage etc?

My advice to you, if your commute and social life are taking a hit, dont walk, run to your new home. You probably wont regret being closer to work, having more friends come by, and going out on more dates lol. But then again, I am from PG so I grew to hate it. Still, try getting a hotel/staying with a friend by the job for a few days, and seeing if being closer or in a different neighborhood actually makes a difference.

Good advice Vicnice. PG was convenient when I first moved because I had family closer to Baltimore (they're moving south) and friends in PG (they're getting married) so now would be a good time to try something different. I've only been here 10 months, but I just feel that it's not for me.

My social life is pretty non- existent so it can only improve (although that's not really a priority). I have friends all over. A few in NOVA, PG, and back in NJ/NY. I'm in a good place in my current career but I plan on transitioning into something with more growth potential/ job satisfaction.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
If you're interested in arts/music/entertainment, I'm not sure how PG is a good fit. Why not Arlington? It is a good fit for your requirements.
I like Arlington; however it's a bit pricey (don't really want to give up my amenities) AND it also seems to lack in diversity. I feel like it's just the other side of the same coin when it comes to being diverse; however, if I could find a place for 1500 with parking and a washer/ dryer in unit, I would strongly consider. I'd be so close to my job.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I like Arlington; however it's a bit pricey (don't really want to give up my amenities) AND it also seems to lack in diversity. I feel like it's just the other side of the same coin when it comes to being diverse; however, if I could find a place for 1500 with parking and a washer/ dryer in unit, I would strongly consider. I'd be so close to my job.
That's very true. Alexandria might be a better fit. It is more diverse, still has the artsy side to it, but I don't think you're going to find parking with a washer/dryer at that price there. You are going to have to concede on something. What is more important to you the commute, being close to stuff, the price or have special amenities like parking or having a washer?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 PM

My list would be:

1. Diversity
2. Amenities (really just the washer/ dryer)
3. Cost
4. Being close to suff
5. Not too much congestion
46. Commute (as long is it's no longer than 35 minutes via Mapquest)

I rode all around today just checking out areas, and I thought Annandale might be a good consideration. I saw a place on Craiglist in my price range with the amenities I'm looking for (no garage, but I can deal with that) and it seemed like a decent area.

I would completely rule out Petworth, although I see that it is transitioning.

I actually rode through, what looked to be decent neighborhoods in NE (around South Dakota Ave.). I think that may constitute Michigan Park.

DC is so difficult to figure out as an outsider. I think I may still check out Takoma and possibly Silver Springs (that would be last on my list though).

Also looked in the Landmark area of Alexandria, which looks nice, but still heavily congested.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
My list would be:

1. Diversity
2. Amenities (really just the washer/ dryer)
3. Cost
4. Being close to suff
5. Not too much congestion
46. Commute (as long is it's no longer than 35 minutes via Mapquest)

I rode all around today just checking out areas, and I thought Annandale might be a good consideration. I saw a place on Craiglist in my price range with the amenities I'm looking for (no garage, but I can deal with that) and it seemed like a decent area.
Annandale is a good place. It is close to a lot of stuff. You definitely want to keep that in your back pocket. You also might want to check out this apartment called Riverside in Alexandria (Fairfax County side). I have had a few co-workers who live over there and they love/loved it. It is a gated community has some apartments with washer/dryers in your range, a fitness center, swimming pool, and some other things. The best part about it is, it's close to the metro, the highways (near the Wilson Bridge) and old Town Alexandria. Check out their site: Riverside Apartments, Alexandria, VA | Amenities

Quote:
I would completely rule out Petworth, although I see that it is transitioning.

I actually rode through, what looked to be decent neighborhoods in NE (around South Dakota Ave.). I think that may constitute Michigan Park.
Yeah, Petworth is definitely transitioning. It's still not the safest place and I'm sure the cost is going up around the area.

Michigan Park isn't bad, but you are not likely to be near anything. Outside of taking the metro, you will have to drive to everything.

Quote:
DC is so difficult to figure out as an outsider. I think I may still check out Takoma and possibly Silver Springs (that would be last on my list though).

Also looked in the Landmark area of Alexandria, which looks nice, but still heavily congested.
I would be careful with Landmark. I've heard some mixed things about that area. A lot of the apartment complexes over there are very suspect. If you do decide to go that route, you might want to ask the people on the NoVA forum for more opinions about that area.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM

[
Quote:
quote=pgtitans;25379262] You also might want to check out this apartment called Riverside in Alexandria (Fairfax County side). I have had a few co-workers who live over there and they love/loved it. It is a gated community has some apartments with washer/dryers in your range, a fitness center, swimming pool, and some other things. The best part about it is, it's close to the metro, the highways (near the Wilson Bridge) and old Town Alexandria. Check out their site: Riverside Apartments, Alexandria, VA | Amenities
I actually checked those out when I first arrived, but for the amenities I was looking for, they were way too pricey. For a comtemporary 1BD with W/D, you're paying about $1700 (slightly less expensive than Arlington). I could get that in Fairfax in a completely new building with a garage. I just found them to be overpriced.

The apartments that haven't been renovated are affordable, though, if you don't need the bells and whistles. They're a good size, and the gym facilities/ movie theatre are nice. But the reviews are not that great.

I am not a big fan of highrises either, especially older ones, and didn't love the immediate area, but it's proximity to other areas sounds appealing.

Quote:
Michigan Park isn't bad, but you are not likely to be near anything. Outside of taking the metro, you will have to drive to everything.
Good point

Quote:
I would be careful with Landmark. I've heard some mixed things about that area. A lot of the apartment complexes over there are very suspect. If you do decide to go that route, you might want to ask the people on the NoVA forum for more opinions about that area.

You're absolutely right. I checked out those reviews, too. The only place I would consider is The Cascade

Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 PM

At this point, I'm considering staying in PG (possibly with a roomie), to save some $$$. The suggestion came to me that buying might be a better option, especially if I can get some rental income . We'll see. Thanks for the feedback though! I love this forum. I'm open to any other info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC