Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Pssssst...gonna share a little secret with you. Just about everybody in DC produces resumes with fictitious awards, internships, scholarly papers, professional society memberships and even phony college degrees. It's all about getting ahead in a cut-throat job market.

But we'll keep this quiet between you and me. Shhhhhhhhh!
It doesnt take much to find out if they are lying.

"Oh I see you were at Georgetown for your masters last year. Cool. What did you think of the new mock equities trading facility they built on the 4th floor? I hear its quite spectacular."
"Oh yea, fantastic. Really top of the line..... "
vs
"I think you might be thinking of another program, I don't think Georgetown has that...."

Besides, I'm not hiring anyone based on awards, internships or scholarly papers and professional society memberships . I prefer to give cases.... it really tells you a lot about someone's ability to think through a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
lol i guess they won't be working for you.
they will have to take their skills to your
competitor.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
They may just be sending you their Curriculum Vitae, thinking it's appropriate for the job since CVs are pretty standard overseas and in big DC industries like academia and research.
Yeah, this is the only thing I can think of. For academia a CV is pretty common and those things are usually really long b/c they list every publication, achievement, etc.

For an actual resume I think the rule of 1 page for entry level/new graduate/anything not highly specialized and two pages for a professional who has significant experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:45 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
3 pages is the standard for IT Resumes with years of experience.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM

361 posts, read 853,891 times
I've no problem with 3-5 page resumes for mid-senior level folks who've had multiple positions. When it gets to the true discussion stage, it's vital to get beyond job titles which mean so many different things at different places and into the substantive projects they worked on and real responsibilities they've had.

Now, when folks start listing bogus awards and various kinds of meaningless certifications for some one-weekend workshop they took, that's when we start looking elsewhere.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,649 times
During my last job interview, the interviewer said outright: "we're interviewing you because you know these two programming languages."

It's an entry level position, but it was interesting to see that they're looking for very specific skills, not other miscellaneous qualifications.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
It's a résumé, not a CV. I wonder why people aren't taught that no employer wants to see your full employment history, just the good stuff. If some possible hire handed me one of those it'd be pretty hard for me not to think "not hired" on the basis of poor judgement.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM

64 posts, read 243,514 times
You guys are all missing the elephant in the room.

DC is a govt town. Those are resumes for govt positions, which NEED to be at least 3-5 pages to get through the qualification process. People are lazy and can't be bothered with writing two resumes, so they re-use an inappropriate one.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Not to be off topic but after 5 years should I still be including pre-college jobs? I'm thinking yes since most of the jobs aren't relevant to what I do now but no because I was a commuter working full time and supported myself through college. I thought about putting just the full time jobs but then there would be a HUGE gap on my resume from when I was underemployed (20-30 hours) but still going to school full time.

My resume is currently 2 pages I will never go beyond that.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM

155 posts, read 310,578 times
Taleo and similar online job applications allow for uploading the resume and then auto filling work experience and education. When a resume is formatted correctly in Word, this is the cleanest way to complete the online application. Most companies use some tool like Taleo, where the candidate isn't just emailing a resume to a recruiter who probably has 0 years experience in the hiring field and who wants to spend 5 minutes scanning a one page resume.

Maybe people with more than one or two page resumes aren't idiots. Maybe recruiters are idiots if they don't want to take their time on recruiting the right applicants. Or maybe the company should invest in software for online applications and fire stuck up and evil HR recruiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC