U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 145,937 times
Default Public housing projects

During my years growing up in the city, there have been numerous public housing developments, past and present with a notorious reputation. Although I never lived in public housing, I have several friends who grew up in these projects of the past and present and trust me, they have lived a rough life. Many have been subjected to dealing with crime, poverty, decay, drug abuse and overall neglect. Some are fortunate to make it out, and some fall by the waist side due to some of those factors. All I can say is GOD bless those still living in public housing and keep your head up. There's a brighter light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd like to take the time to remember some of those famous or infamous public housing developments of the past and present. Any input is appreciated;

Eastgate
Linda Pollin
Valley Green
Barry Farms
Arthur Capper (Capers)
Woodland Terrace
Kelly Miller (LeDroit Park)
East Capitol Dwellings (58th)
Clay Terrace
Lincoln Heights
Stanton Terrace
Condon Terrace
Sursum Corda
Benning Terrace (Simple City)
Langston Terrace
Potomac Gardens
Garfield terrace
Greenleaf Gardens
Clifton Terrace
Syphax Gardens

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,246,988 times
I am not familiar with any public houses but i do drive pass them i always wonder how can folks live in Public houses but drive better cars then those who doesnot. I think its time for the government to start rechecking each section 8 applicants after a certain amount of yrs because alot of them have husbands or boyfriends living wiht them and some become too comfortable living on section 8. The government found out a lot of section 8 applicant manage to finish college with a degree and are still on section8. I am tired of the government giving freebies away like we the people arenot living wealthy lifestyle and can afford to have folks who can better then selves choose not to.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM

124 posts, read 482,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Veteran View Post
During my years growing up in the city, there have been numerous public housing developments, past and present with a notorious reputation. Although I never lived in public housing, I have several friends who grew up in these projects of the past and present and trust me, they have lived a rough life. Many have been subjected to dealing with crime, poverty, decay, drug abuse and overall neglect. Some are fortunate to make it out, and some fall by the waist side due to some of those factors. All I can say is GOD bless those still living in public housing and keep your head up. There's a brighter light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd like to take the time to remember some of those famous or infamous public housing developments of the past and present. Any input is appreciated;

Eastgate
Linda Pollin
Valley Green
Barry Farms
Arthur Capper (Capers)
Woodland Terrace
Kelly Miller (LeDroit Park)
East Capitol Dwellings (58th)
Clay Terrace
Lincoln Heights
Stanton Terrace
Condon Terrace
Sursum Corda
Benning Terrace (Simple City)
Langston Terrace
Potomac Gardens
Garfield terrace
Greenleaf Gardens
Clifton Terrace
Syphax Gardens
Do you know that many of the government housing projects that you mentioned above no longer exist?

Arthur Capers is now own by the Navy and used for military housing. Valley Green is all boarded up and will eventually become condos.

Actually, many of the govermental housing projects are boarded up. They will become expensive condos and townhomes for the cultural elite to move back into the city. All of the Section 8 residents have relocated to subsidized housing in Maryland and Virginia. Why do you think PG County has gone down hill? Well, DC has shipped these folks out and Maryland has welcome them in. That is why there is no surprise that in middle class neighborhoods outside of DC your next door neighbor house is being subsidized by the Maryland or Virginia government and they are from the projects.

That is why it doesn't make sense to run out into the suburbs of DC because now those areas are being populated with Section 8 residents in large numbers. Now you are probably wondering how can a person with a college degree who work hard the entire life live next door to Section 8 people? It is your local officials fault. Everyone wants Section 8 available to the lower income families, but when its in your own backyard it is a different story.

DC is on a heavy mission to get rid of all the lower income people. Anacostia Park will be an upscale harbor down the road. I am not sure if the city is still planning this project, but at the rate things are going it will be there. You guys just wait and see. The cultural elite will dominate DC and the poor families will be shipped out to Maryland or Virginia. The new Section 8 is a single family home in a middle class neighborhood in Maryland these days. While your paying your high mortgage your new neighborhood from the "DC Hood" is getting his subsidized by the government. That is why so many suburban areas outside of DC resemble a government housing project.

I am just wondering where will all these people go when DC decides to clean house?

On any rate, if you want to purchase a home in DC you better do it now while you have a chance. Ten years from now only the elite will be able to purchase a home in DC. Those without money will not be able to live in DC comfortably.

I just find it kind of strange that people will be buying these expensive condos that were once government projects. While in MD and VA Section 8 people are living in middle class neighborhoods. This seems very weird, but I guess the DC is trying to bring people back into the city.

Last edited by Rose31; 10-03-2007 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,246,988 times
As a matter of fact Pg county is tearing down majority of its section8 and turning them into upscale condos and communities. It might take another 2-3 yrs before Pg county totally get rid of section8. The folks will be moving to Baltimore and farther out into Maryland.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Do you know that many of the government housing projects that you mentioned above no longer exist?
Yeah, that's why I said "of the past and present". How about you next time read carefully before you bust shots. I am aware of this being a, well let's just say, see my screen name!

Quote:
Arthur Capers is now own by the Navy and used for military housing. Valley Green is all boarded up and will eventually become condos.
Wrong again. Capper is NOT owned by the Navy. There will be 3 new Capper buildings to open, if not already opened. 2 of which will be senior buildings for low income seniors, and the third site will be replaced with office/housing space.

Quote:
Valley Green is all boarded up and will eventually become condos.
....and for the hat trick, you are once again WRONG! Valley Green has been razed since 1991, around the same time as Eastgate was demolished. There have been single family homes and townhomes built on the Valley Green site for going on 15 years now. Where have you been? The Eastgate site, is finally seeing some development of condos on that site.

Quote:
Actually, many of the govermental housing projects are boarded up.
This statement is actually NOT true. Those that are boarded up, for the most part are awaiting demolition, which aren't many at all. Can you name them? There are still many complexes that are still occupied, such as Lincoln Heights, Barry Farms, Clay Terrace, and Woodland Terrace just to name a few. Those you may be referring to were not owned and operated by the D.C. Housing Authority. Many of these properties were 1950's and 1960's era garden style apartment buildings, which so happen to border public housing complexes, and just fell upon band management, and urban decay over the years.

Quote:
That is why it doesn't make sense to run out into the suburbs of DC because now those areas are being populated with Section 8 residents in large numbers. Now you are probably wondering how can a person with a college degree who work hard the entire life live next door to Section 8 people? It is your local officials fault. Everyone wants Section 8 available to the lower income families, but when its in your own backyard it is a different story.
Did you ever stop to think that there are many people who live in, or used to live in these complexes that have college degrees also? Not to mention with the new federal minimum wage increasing to a whopping $7.50 an hour, there are still many masters and PHD holders that still live in these conditions. And to top it off, there are still a lot of degree holders with incomes fortunate enough not to have to be subjected to those conditions of public housing. But the sad reality is that in today's economy, they too are just one paycheck away from poverty themselves. Keep in mind, that you are not the only one who works hard for what they have or lack thereof.

Quote:
DC is on a heavy mission to get rid of all the lower income people.
First and fore most, there is no way in SAM HELL that the residents east of the Anacostia, who for the most part live in the projects, and who hold at least 3/4 of the vote as to who will become the next mayor will ever let that happen. Who do you consider as "the lower income people?" I sure hope you're not speaking of the residents of Wards 6, 7, and 8, because if you take a look around these days, there just as many "lower income people" in Adams Morgan, Mt. Pleasant, and Petworth as there are in the above mentioned wards of the city. Many of those wards are where most of the city's public housing is found. Unfortunately, everyone wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and everyone wasn't as fortunate to obtain an education higher than a high school diploma. You talk as if those people are some sort of refugees from some war torn country, when in all actuality, a high percentage of these residents have more common sense than most suburbanites who boast and brag about their college education. It's a shame that most of you spend large amounts of money on big colleges, but yet still come out confused.

Quote:
While your paying your high mortgage your new neighborhood from the "DC Hood" is getting his subsidized by the government. That is why so many suburban areas outside of DC resemble a government housing project.
May I suggest a grammar and spell check next time you decide to post? Aren't you the one who has your college degree and subjected to have "THESE PEOPLE" as you next door neighbor? See my last statement. When was the last time you actually drove through these neighborhoods? When was the last time, you actually shook the hand of a resident there? When was the last time you attended a community oriented event in these neighborhoods? When was the last time you actually sat down and literally TALKED TO a resident of public housing? Are the majority of them proud of their given situations? NO! Do they wish if there was an "easy out" it would've been had a long time ago? I'm sure they do. If I may be so bold and suggest that you take my advice and try getting to know your neighbor and talking to them instead of at them? Trust me you'd really be surprised.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 PM

124 posts, read 482,674 times
Geesh, calm down. You are way out of line.

I am not sure why you were offended by my post. It was not directed to you at all. Some people need to grow thicker skins. You can attack me all you want, but does that fix the problem? Does that fix the nightmare that exist in those communities and that is growing in the outlying suburbs? If attacking me makes you feel better about yourself, then by all means go right ahead. Just don't sit there and make false accusations about things that you have no clue about.

For your information, I have spent countless hours volunteering and advocating in some of the communities that you have mentioned. Please do not judge me because you do not know what you are talking about. Until you hold a dying child in your arms, have a gun pointed at your face, or dealt with substance abusers exchanging sex for drugs with their own children, I suggest you keep quiet. People like you will always preach to the choir, but you will never get involve. You are not out there in these neighborhoods.

My experiences in those neighborhoods have change my prospective on the problems within those communities. Afterwhile you get tired of crusading for the pathology that exist in those communties. You get tired of defending and making excuses for these people just like you are doing. You get tired of being the delusional cheerleader for those who are living in Section 8. Years, hours, and moments later you realize that the majority of these people are there because they want to be there. People make choices in life. Those who choose the wrong path will suffer the consequences. Personal responsibility goes a long way.

This will be my last post on this matter. I don't think this board should be abuse for personal rants. I am all ears if you care to discuss this matter outside of this forum. In the meantime, I will agree to disagree with you.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by Rose31; 10-04-2007 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Here we go again. First off, if you think I was personally attacking you, then you tell me who needs to grow thicker skin? Wasn't you the one who called me out first? The focal point of my thread was to shine light on an often ignored problem here in the District. That often ignored problem is called Public Housing. If you read before you jumped on the defensive, then maybe you'll have a better understanding on where I stand on this matter. GOD bless those residents.

Now back to you:

Quote:
Until you hold a dying child in your arms, have a gun pointed at your face, or dealt with substance abusers exchanging sex for drugs with their own children, I suggest you keep quiet. People like you will always preach to the choir, but you will never get involve. You are not out there in these neighborhoods.
Now, here is where you are wrong again my dear. Have I ever held a dying child in my arms? Yes. Have I ever had a gun pointed in my face? Uh, Yeah! Have I ever dealt with drug abusers dealing sex for drugs with their own children? Come on now. I said I NEVER LIVED IN THESE COMPLEXES, but when I was younger, I used to hang out in the neighboring Eastgate community and saw these things first hand. Most of which these residents you speak of, I knew personally. I lived near these projects since I was born, until Eastgate was razed in 1991. So don't you ever sit there and tell me to be quiet over something that I KNOW FIRST HAND!

Quote:
My experiences in those neighborhoods have change my prospective on the problems within those communities. Afterwhile you get tired of crusading for the pathology that exist in those communties. You get tired of defending and making excuses for these people just like you are doing. You get tired of being the delusional cheerleader for those who are living in Section 8. Years, hours, and moments later you realize that the majority of these people are there because they want to be there. People make choices in life. Those who choose the wrong path will suffer the consequences. Personal responsibility goes a long way.
My dear, if you feel as though you get tired of defending and making excuses for "THESE PEOPLE", as you put it, and after you get tired and fed up with putting in your countless hours of trying to make a difference in these communities, then let me be the first to tell you that you were in it for the wrong reasons to begin with. I will agree with you on one thing though. The majority of "THESE PEOPLE", as you so eloquently put it too often, are still there because they want to be there. I will give you that. But you know just as well as I do that you simply can not help everybody. Hell, you can hardly get anybody to hold a decent conversation with you on many days. However if I can make a difference to 1, then I made a difference to 10. If I can make a difference to 10, then I made a difference to 20. Let me give you a little personal history real quick. I was born and raised in the 100 blk. of 58th St. SE. I graduated from HD Woodson in 1987. I was an ANC commissioner for 9 years in Ward 7. I coached football and basketball at the Benning Park Recreation Center for 11 years. I am currently a volunteer firefighter/EMT in one of the roughest sections of PG County. I have been to so many funerals since 1986 to last me an entire lifetime. Most of the residents, mostly children who I've had the pleasure of dealing are now grown up and doing quite well for themselves, and their families. Unfortunately, some have succumbed to the temptation of the streets again, and either wound up dead or incarcerated. One of my most celebrated stories of a young man, who was under my guidance and who grew up in these projects is now an NFL quarterback. Go figure!

The bottom line is that you can agree to disagree with me all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that for those who actually give a damn will never get tired of engaging in what we feel is the right thing to do. You may get disrespected, you may get called a few names, but you have to grow thick skin, and realize what you are actually there for in the first place. My purpose then, as it is now is to continue to fight for those who want to change for the positive and not forget about the ones left behind. To me, there is no greater gratification

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Yac

4,132 posts, read 3,367,113 times
Calm down, please.
Yac.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 AM

30 posts, read 120,168 times
City veteran i have to agree with u....it is ashame they are taking the old DC away from us...these places made the city what it is known for today good and bad...

Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM

Does anyone have any old school pics they'd like to share? Just remembering the way DC was growing up. 53rd, you are on point, Bruh!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC