Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ lol white people have the most money,
education, jobs and resources to do
anything they want. there's no one who
can stop them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
You're taking it the wrong way but likewise he worded it wrong.

Look at Arlington County. Look how expensive it is to live there now because investors (better way to say "white people" because not all white people are rich) decided to buy things up and make it more "appealing" to those with loads of cash. That's what he means that should be contained within certain wards, and I agree. I just don't think the "white"/"black" label should be thrown around so freely to say white = rich and affluent and black = poor and ghetto. That's just making the stereotype and bitter feelings worse.

If you plan to move into the city and raise the prices up by throwing your excess cash around then yes, what's going to be done is that rental places will have to have income limits. I'm sorry but that needs to be done if they want to remove all working class people from DC so the yuppies have a playground. If that's not done then the public housing authority will end up having more people wanting in than what they have to supply. That's what happened in Arlington and Fairfax, and one of them doesn't even do public housing. Just section 8.

Likewise if you want to move in the city and have your little 9-5 thing, raising a family, getting by, then by all means do it. You're welcome to do so. Hell, that was his main point. We need more people like that to be able to afford DC.
I personally think tearing down public housing is a good thing. Just put them on section 8. Poverty breeds more poverty whereas those in mixed income settings do better. They did a study where they surveyed kids of the same income level households. One group went to school in an area of DC that has nothing but low income households and the other group in a mixed more diverse part of Montgomery county. Guess which group did better. Lack of housing projects isn't a bad thing. That's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ lol once the rich finish buying up all the
hoods in the city, there will be no place
left for the poor or middle class to live,
son. take the rosey glasses off.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
^ lol once the rich finish buying up all the
hoods in the city, there will be no place
left for the poor or middle class to live,
son. take the rosey glasses off.
Actually I didn't mean to quote you. Sorry about that.

With that said I don't think I have rose colored glasses. I just stated an opinion that I realize isn't popular. I don't see things being that dire.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ ok. sorry then. I must be worrying too much.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
^ ok. sorry then. I must be worrying too much.
Relax. Go have a capuccino at Starbucks it'll take your mind off that gentrification nonsense.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM

513 posts, read 961,639 times
Bmore is chocolate city. Not DC.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Bmore is chocolate city. Not DC.
Lol and PG is chocolate county

Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM

^^^^ Like I said in my head DC will always be Chocolate City. I see that some disagree. The District still has more black residents than white.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM

354 posts, read 785,253 times
i dont know about ALWAYS.. buts as of now it still is A chocolate city.. but not THE chocolate city if u get what im sayin

Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
^^^^ Like I said in my head DC will always be Chocolate City. I see that some disagree. The District still has more black residents than white.
Only a matter of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC