Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
The number of peope in Fairfax who use "DC" to mean the region, at least in some contexts, almost certainly far exceeds the number of people in Fairfax who use DMV to mean anything other than the Department of Motor Vehicles.
First of all, not even people in Fairfax are going to say "DC" when referring to something other than the District. Second, "DMV" is such a popular term nowadays that it's used by the news outlets in the region and by radio and TV personalities in other cities. Even posters in other forums refer to the region as the "DMV." Just because you don't know many people who use it within your small circle doesn't mean that most people (even in Fairfax) do not.

Morning Read: DMV Leaders React To Ryan VP Pick | NBC4 Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
One more thing I just thought of--it would be awesome if the Red line looped all the way around between Glenmont and Shady Grove, or at least between Silver Spring and Bethesda (or whatever two stops are equivalently North of each other). It's so annoying to have to hop on the Red Line and ride all the way into the city only to go back out again when you could just stay in Maryland the whole time and travel directly east/west.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
First of all, not even people in Fairfax are going to say "DC" when referring to something other than the District. Second, "DMV" is such a popular term nowadays that it's used by the news outlets in the region and by radio and TV personalities in other cities. Even posters in other forums refer to the region as the "DMV." Just because you don't know many people who use it within your small circle doesn't mean that most people (even in Fairfax) do not.

Morning Read: DMV Leaders React To Ryan VP Pick | NBC4 Washington

that story refers to STATEWIDE leaders, mainly. Lt Gov Bolling, for example, is not from NoVa. And that is ONE of the problems with the abbreviation - it can imply ALL of Va and Md, and not the areas that are part of Greater Washington.

But, its true, I don't watch much TV news, nor do I care much about radio and TV personalities.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
One more thing I just thought of--it would be awesome if the Red line looped all the way around between Glenmont and Shady Grove, or at least between Silver Spring and Bethesda (or whatever two stops are equivalently North of each other). It's so annoying to have to hop on the Red Line and ride all the way into the city only to go back out again when you could just stay in Maryland the whole time and travel directly east/west.
The portion of the purple line running from Silver Spring to Bethesda makes sense in that case.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
First of all, not even people in Fairfax are going to say "DC" when referring to something other than the District.

It depends on context.

Have you interviewed every single person in Fairfax county to know what they will say?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
How many people living in the DMV see "DC" and think Arlington? It's one thing to be in another city and make that association, but people are generally clear on the distinction when you're in the region.
When I hear "DC" in general, I think of the diamond, but when I hear "DC" in relation to metro, I think of MD and VA too because so much of DC metro does already extend to VA and MD. Most of the outer stops are not in DC anymore. In fact, all of the metro lines already extend outside of DC so it's not nuts to think that a metro discussion would include the whole area.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
that story refers to STATEWIDE leaders, mainly. Lt Gov Bolling, for example, is not from NoVa. And that is ONE of the problems with the abbreviation - it can imply ALL of Va and Md, and not the areas that are part of Greater Washington.
That's not the point. The point is that "DMV" is a commonly used abbreviation for the DC Metro Area. You were acting as if it was something only used by tweens and college students tweeting away on their iPhones and Androids in incoherent, alcohol-induced sentences.

And "DMV" never implies ALL of Virginia or ALL of Maryland. It's DC Metro Area specific. When people want to refer to other parts of VA or MD, they'll use terms such as "Tidewater," "Delmarva," and "Hampton Roads."

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Have you interviewed every single person in Fairfax county to know what they will say?
You said that "the number of people in Fairfax saying 'DC' to refer to Greater Washington certainly exceeds the number of people saying 'DMV.'" The burden is on you to prove your own statement. I just said that the term "DMV" is commonly used.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
When I hear "DC" in general, I think of the diamond, but when I hear "DC" in relation to metro, I think of MD and VA too because so much of DC metro does already extend to VA and MD. Most of the outer stops are not in DC anymore. In fact, all of the metro lines already extend outside of DC so it's not nuts to think that a metro discussion would include the whole area.
I don't have an issue with what's in bold.

I simply figured that a thread in the DC forum asking about metro extensions "in DC" would generate more discussion about Adams-Morgan, H Street, Georgetown, 16th Street, etc., and how to extend Metro to those core DC areas, rather than discussion about Bailey's Crossroads, Tyson's and other places that frankly are not even on the radar screen for the average DC resident.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is that "DMV" is a commonly used abbreviation for the DC Metro Area. You were acting as if it was something only used by tweens and college students tweeting away on their iPhones and Androids in incoherent, alcohol-induced sentences.

And "DMV" never implies ALL of Virginia or ALL of Maryland. It's DC Metro Area specific. When people want to refer to other parts of VA or MD, they'll use terms such as "Tidewater," "Delmarva," and "Hampton Roads."
The irony of this is that I'm a college student and a DC resident of 17 years and I've never even heard of the phrase "DMV" lol. My parents have lived in DC since the 70's and I've never heard them use that term either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC