Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,565 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has accepted a job offer in Wheaton, MD and at the suggestion of a few people he'll be working with, we're apartment hunting in both DC and MD suburbs. We're both 20 something professionals, He's very into music (watching and playing live) and we have a cat. We're moving from Atlanta, and both drive to work daily now, ideally we'd be able to keep both cars although he could leave his at work and take public transit or ride with a coworker if need be. That said, priorities are as follows, in order

1. price, we'd love to pay less than $2000 if possible but would be willing to spend a bit more if needed.

2. parking, at least one space.

3. size 1 bedroom+den minimum

4. washer/dryer in building, ac is a must

5. location, not too far of a commute, area with shops and restaurants to meet new people in a new city

that said, what Neighborhoods may best fit our needs? As I said we're open to looking in suburbs if something fits the bill, I would consider 45min+ to be too long of a commute anything else is considerable

"safety" seems to be a big deciding factor for many people, but I know it's all perception. I would like to feel comfortable sleeping at home if he travels for work, but I'd also have doors locked and not go out alone at night. A neighborhood that I could go to the grocery store in mid afternoon is plenty safe enough. Before being asked, I am not positive where I'll be working yet, as I'm waiting to find out where we'll live before finding a job/moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM

658 posts, read 1,887,137 times
I'd look around the Silver Spring Metro. I have no idea if you get two parking spaces, but I would imagine you could pay for an extra one if you only get one. The commute up GA would be against traffic, so it wouldn't be terrible. Or, he could just hop on the metro. And, with access to the metro you both use it when needed. I live in Silver Spring and enjoy it. The downtown is decent, The Quarry House Tavern rocks, and there are plenty of good places to eat. Plus, as mentioned, I can hop on the metro if I want to go anywhere else.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM

219 posts, read 592,586 times
I second Downtown Silver Spring. It's a very diverse vibrant area and would absolutely be a reverse commute to your boyfriends job. Silver Spring is also very close to DC (U Street, Columbia Heights, Dupont Circle, etc...).

I also would look in Wheaton as well. They have some pretty nice apartments near the metro station under $2000 for 2br and the area is pretty safe and going through gentrification. Thinking about moving there myself once my lease is up next year. Good luck to you!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 PM

132 posts, read 353,425 times
You should look in Wheaton, Silver SPring, or Rockville. You should find something in your price range in these areas. Anything closer to the city will be more expensive and getiing a parking space would cost you extra.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,565 times
Thank you everyone for your responses, I'll post back when we decide on a place

Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 AM

163 posts, read 257,719 times
Public transit up here is way better then in ATL

Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 AM

54 posts, read 105,072 times
Wheaton MD is part of the suburbs. Living in DC proper wouldn't make sense other than the reverse commute but it would still be pointless in terms of parking and rent.

Rockville, Wheaton itself and Silver Spring would be good choices. Bethesda is out of the question. It's too expensive to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC