Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Well Duh...all the tax monies are being siphoned off by the Military Industrial Complex into the DC area. The defense contractors, a mainstay of the region's economy are virtually 100% dependent on federal tax dollars for their profits. The Big Government Bush nearly tripled the defense spending which has disproportionately benefited this region. There was an explosion in worthless national security and spying agencies set up to siphon off more tax dollars (read the Washington Post article on this a while back). Fraud, waste and abuse is RAMPANT in this part of the country with the defense and other contractors fleecing the US taxpayer everyday. I have never seen so much corruption and waste in any part of the country as this region. Virginia is basically a welfare state that would collapse without the influx of money into the MIC. Instead of using the country's tax monies to rebuild the infrastructure, scientific research, education nationally, the overpaid thieves in this area are simply ripping off the US taxpayer. With all this borrowed money flowing in to the MIC, of course you will have the 2nd highest GDP per capita. And yes, this region produces little of tangible benefit to the citizens unlike Silicon Valley, the agricultural or the Oil producing states.

So yeah, people are mad and rightfully so.
Please explain how a metro area has a high Gross Domestic PRODUCT when it's workers don't "produce" anything. How is GDP measured? I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So you get on my case for supposedly stereotyping D.C. folk but then you go on to stereotype Silicon Valley folk with a slight smirk towards the important work that goes on there...

Interesting.

Anyway and for the record, I know there are a lot of good, decent people in D.C., MD and VA who are doing good and important work. And I know that not every penny of my hard earned tax dollar is wasted on public sector union protected bureaucratic bloat and entitlement. But look through the other city boards and you will see what I mean about economic desperation and the deep concerns of Americans outside of the Beltway.

Reading this sub-forum reminds me of Katniss listening to the conversations of the sheltered elite in the Capitol and how disgusted she was by what she heard.
Actually most of your money is wasted on the plethora of contractors in this area who are ripping off the US taxpayers. What needs to happen is that the MIC needs to be gutted so that we can be rid of all these parasites that indulge in Fraud, Waste and Abuse everyday.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Please explain how a city has a high Gross Domestic PRODUCT when it's people don't "produce" anything. How is GDP measured? I don't understand.
I don't really consider military related equipment or services as a product - no American can buy their own fighter plane, tank etc. Most of the money here is handed out to contractors like Lockheed, CACI, General Dynamics etc. who simply waste it and add little value.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
"If I saw more posts that dared to acknowledge that D.C. is far more lucky than it is good then it would be nice."

That's like saying NYC is lucky for having a natural harbor, which turned to a large port, which prolly caused all the big money flowing in and wall st and banking or bay area is lucky to be the high tech epicenter or Boston is lucky to have MIT and Harvard otherwise it wouldn't be in a good economic shape either. What kinda lame ass argument is that? Sounds like a hater (bitter, empty) argument.
What does New York's natural geographic design, the Bay Area's decades old technology sector or Boston's elite universities have to do with ever expanding government bloat, armor protected public sector unions, an incompetent Congress or trillion dollar deficits?

As a tax payer, I don't care about the private affairs of Wall Street, Silicon Valley or Boston area universities. These are (mostly) self-sufficient entities.

D.C.'s prosperity is 100% due to forced taxation. Cut government spending 20% and let's see how amazing D.C. becomes as a magnet for the "best and brightest".

In fact, I'd love to hear from you boosters how the D.C. metro area maintains its superiority in all things Holy if the "gubmint" actually spent ONLY the amount taken in from tax receipts (Also known as a balanced budget).

Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Actually most of your money is wasted on the plethora of contractors in this area who are ripping off the US taxpayers. What needs to happen is that the MIC needs to be gutted so that we can be rid of all these parasites that indulge in Fraud, Waste and Abuse everyday.
Federal workers AND contractors (who are hired by...FEDERAL WORKERS)

Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
What does New York's natural geographic design, the Bay Area's decades old technology sector or Boston's elite universities have to do with ever expanding government bloat, armor protected public sector unions, an incompetent Congress or trillion dollar deficits?

As a tax payer, I don't care about the private affairs of Wall Street, Silicon Valley or Boston area universities. These are (mostly) self-sufficient entities.

D.C.'s prosperity is 100% due to forced taxation. Cut government spending 20% and let's see how amazing D.C. becomes as a magnet for the "best and brightest".

In fact, I'd love to hear from you boosters how the D.C. metro area maintains its superiority in all things Holy if the "gubmint" actually spent ONLY the amount taken in from tax receipts (Also known as a balanced budget).
Actually universities are not entirely self-sufficient but depend on federal grants for research etc. And of late Wall Street has depended on the federal taxpayer as well ( I consider Wall Street as another parasitical industry).

Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's strange you would think that. I consider myself to be financially successful (to an extent) here in DC. But I had to work my ass off ever since school to get where I am now, and I continue to work my ass off to maintain my lifestyle. I don't know anybody who just coasts along here.

Why do some people blame the federal government (of all things) when the nation's private economy is doing poorly? I find that strange. If federal money didn't bail out Wall Street, the banking industry, the mortgage industry and the auto industry a few years ago, then we would be in a severe economic depression right now and probably looking at 25% - 30% unemployment rates in this country.

Also, for those who think the DC area leeches off the nation's taxpayers and produces "nothing," how do explain that it has the 2nd highest GDP per capita in the U.S.?
A. What does "working your a$$ off" have to do with keeping your job during a recession? I think millions of Americans "worked their a$$es off" and were laid off. What makes you special?

B. I keep hearing those on the left claim that minus the bailouts (done 100% with borrowed money, by the way) things would be much worse. But THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF OF THAT WHATSOEVER ANYWHERE ON EARTH.

C. If I could send a couple of trillion dollars of tax money and money borrowed from China, Japan and the Gulf States to flow through Stockton, CA or Detroit, MI I bet that the "GDP per capita" would show remarkable improvements.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Actually universities are not entirely self-sufficient but depend on federal grants for research etc. And of late Wall Street has depended on the federal taxpayer as well ( I consider Wall Street as another parasitical industry).
Yes both entities do receive too much federal dollars but I bet the giant banks with trillion dollar balance sheets and the elite universities with billion dollar endowments could get by a BIT easier minus the taxpayer loot than the vacuum/ barnacle culture of D.C.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
A. What does "working your a$$ off" have to do with keeping your job during a recession? I think millions of Americans "worked their a$$es off" and were laid off. What makes you special?

B. I keep hearing those on the left claim that minus the bailouts (done 100% with borrowed money, by the way) things would be much worse. But THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF OF THAT WHATSOEVER ANYWHERE ON EARTH.

C. If I could send a couple of trillion dollars of tax money and money borrowed from China, Japan and the Gulf States to flow through Stockton, CA or Detroit, MI I bet that the "GDP per capita" would show remarkable improvements.
Your favorite Massive Government Lover Bush is the one who started this mess by pumping TRILLIONS of borrowed money into the Military Industrial/ National Security complex and the two wars. The defense and related budget has TRIPLED to nearly $1.5 TRILLION now. Blame him, the stimulus did not add much to the DC area economy. However from 2000 to 2008, the DC area economy EXPLODED under Bush with his pumping free money into the MIC. No wonder all the defense contractors relocated their HQ to Virginia to join the other pigs engorging themselves at the trough. Don't try and blame it just on Democrats...the Republicans love big government too as long as the spending benefits them and their districts and states.

BTW look at all these contractors squealing like pigs now that sequestration is almost upon them. Their gravy train is about to come to a harsh stop.

Last edited by analyze_this; 08-23-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Your favorite Massive Government Lover Bush is the one who started this mess by pumping TRILLIONS of borrowed money into the Military Industrial/ National Security complex and the two wars. The defense and related budget has TRIPLED to nearly $1.5 TRILLION now. Blame him, the stimulus did not add much to the DC area economy. However from 2000 to 2008, the DC area economy EXPLODED under Bush with his pumping free money into the MIC. No wonder all the defense contractors relocated their HQ to Virginia to join the other pigs engorging themselves at the trough. Don't try and blame it just on Democrats...the Republicans love big government too as long as the spending benefits them and their districts and states.

BTW look at all these contractors squealing like pigs now that sequestration is almost upon them. Their gravy train is about to come to a harsh stop.
I wish when people debate these issues they wouldn't lie. I NEVER said I supported Bush or voted for him. I also never said that the GOP didn't grow a massive bureaucracy. If I had my way America wouldn't borrow one cent.

If we can't do it with 15% of GDP it shouldn't be done.

Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC