Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,631,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah the cops are crazy strict in DC. I've heard of someone being pulled over for blowing their horn too much.
i think they do that round here too, matta fact they can give tickets in nyc for this cuz people honk way too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
Yeah, I'm guessing you can get a ticket for blasting your car's stereo too loudly.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
i think they do that round here too, matta fact they can give tickets in nyc for this cuz people honk way too much
In NYC you would get a ticket faster than in DC for that.

DC cops are lax compared to NYC cops IMO. NYC cops are about making that paper, and they do not hide it at all. Tickets for open alcohol containers and cigarretts are rare in DC. In NYC, they pull up like "You know what this is".

Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,187 times
Quote:
Came back from DC last night. Wasn't there very long so feel like I just scratched the surface, nevertheless I saw all the main landmarks and walked around downtown as that's where my hotel was. The main things that struck me were how clean and green the city was. Clean is big for me as I still can't get used to NYC/NJ dirty/trashy situation. I actually almost put my suitcase in what looked like a huge pile of human sh1t when I was bout to board my bus near Madison Square Garden. This the type of sh1t that angers me round here. In DC, maybe its cuz I didn't get to see any hood parts, but overall the city seems very eye pleasing, esp coming from my NJ gutter, Arlington, VA was cool too. Some parts of the metro area reminded me of Pacific NW somewhat when I was on the freeways-the greenery was really dense. I noticed the city is modern, but with old style Greek Parthenon style architecture at the same time, which I liked a lot. A lot of buildings did look similar to Moscow (my hometown). Downtown felt a little unusual cuz its low rise, still pretty vibrant, upscale and cosmopolitan, people dress well, a lot of professionals of all colors. DC is unique, and I can't really compare it with anything, def nothing like NYC, much more laid back so for someone who is used to NYC, DC will obviously not work. For me though it just might, but it's hard to tell right now-I wanna come back and spend more time so I can actually check out the nightlife and everything else more thoroughly, for sure got a great first impression though.
Thanks for visiting, you hit the nail on the head. Glad you enjoyed your visit! Dont just spend time in Dc, go to Arlington (my neck of the woods) and hang out, also make sure to hit MD as well.

Your comments are right on point. My frustration with people from DC is that they compare it to NYC when they are in two obviously different leagues. Hope DC works out for you, but just remember not to compare it to NYC they are not even close to sister cities (Chicago and NYC are better comparisons) they are more like 3rd cousins twice removed.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM

27,519 posts, read 28,613,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Thanks for visiting, you hit the nail on the head. Glad you enjoyed your visit! Dont just spend time in Dc, go to Arlington (my neck of the woods) and hang out, also make sure to hit MD as well.

Your comments are right on point. My frustration with people from DC is that they compare it to NYC when they are in two obviously different leagues. Hope DC works out for you, but just remember not to compare it to NYC they are not even close to sister cities (Chicago and NYC are better comparisons) they are more like 3rd cousins twice removed.
During the time I've been on C-D, I've not seen any poster claiming that DC is on NYC's level. So, maybe I missed it.

I'm not sure if Chicago and NYC are that much better of a comparison overall either. In terms of global cities, Chicago ranks closer to NYC than DC does but not much more. These days, DC seems to be more important and have a higher profile than Chicago. It is debateable, however.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-02-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM

I got that DC is expensive, but what bout the burbs, both inner and outer ones? If you compare MD/VA to NJ, are they as expensive? cuz to me seems like you can get more house for your money in MD/VA than NJ. How are the property taxes? (they're a killer in most of NJ) Are burbs less transient and have certain character?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 AM

70 posts, read 182,860 times
Quote:
I got that DC is expensive, but what bout the burbs, both inner and outer ones? If you compare MD/VA to NJ, are they as expensive? cuz to me seems like you can get more house for your money in MD/VA than NJ. How are the property taxes? (they're a killer in most of NJ) Are burbs less transient and have certain character?
I don't know specifically about taxes, but for cost of living and housing, there are many close-in suburbs that are just as expensive to live in as many parts of DC. I'm thinking Silver Spring, Bethesda, Arlington, and Alexandria are all areas with comparable rents to the nicest parts of DC. Proximity to a metro station is a huge factor here, as a suburban condo on top of a metro stop will often be priced comparably to a DC proper condo in a sought-after neighborhood. I would surmise that an exception is east of town in Prince George's County, where housing prices are definitely cheaper than in other close-in areas, but that's due to crime, poor public schools, fewer services/amenities, etc. Generally the farther out from DC you go, the cheaper the housing and living costs. As far as suburb character, it can really vary; some have definite tight-knit communities, while others are simply freeways with strip malls on either side for as far as you can see.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM

27,519 posts, read 28,613,393 times
Quote:
DC area in general is not as expensive as NYC area. I have friends in northern NJ who are paying $20K+ in annual property taxes alone. That's ungodly even for the DC area.

Unless you're rich, you'll get the best bang for your buck living in some of the inner suburbs of DC once you have a family. You have to strike a balance between cost of living, proximity to amenities and quality of life.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,393,430 times
a 3rd cousin twice removed is easier to just say 5th cousin.

now that's distant.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC area in general is not as expensive as NYC area. I have friends in northern NJ who are paying $20K+ in annual property taxes alone. That's ungodly even for the DC area.

Unless you're rich, you'll get the best bang for your buck living in some of the inner suburbs of DC once you have a family. You have to strike a balance between cost of living, proximity to amenities and quality of life.

Yep, that is common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC