Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 AM

145 posts, read 155,232 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the DC area next year if my husband is stationed at the Pentagon, and we're trying to decide where we'd live. We've heard Alexandria/Arlington is good if we want a yard for our dogs, but would also like to look at DC since we've always wanted to try the urban thing...we don't have kids yet, so now is a good time. Would like to keep commute time <30 minutes. 20 would be better. Here's a little about us...

Early 30's, 2 dogs (1 large, 1 small), no kids (planning on having one, but schools are not important since (s)he will be too young during this assignment), and have ~$2800 to spend on rent. We'd really like a 3BR (one for us, one for future kid, one for office/dog crates), but could survive with 2BR if we can fit desk/dog crates in other rooms. Not crazy about the idea of apartments...I'd like to be on ground level because of the dogs, so single family home/condo/townhouse/row house would be best. We will NEED to walk/run the dogs frequently if we don't have access to a fenced yard, so if we are looking at DC, a neighborhood that is safe for me to walk in alone in mornings/evenings is important. Would also need to be within walking or driving distance of someplace I can let the dogs off leash if we don't have a yard, and for my sanity would like to be within 20 minutes (walking/driving/metro doesn't matter) of a park with benches and water so I can read my book and decompress on weekends. Close proximity to metro is a must if we are in DC, and easy metro access to DC is a must if we are in NOVA.

Not sure what areas of DC to look into, or if there are particular neighborhoods in NOVA that would be good for us? We're not too into the nightlife thing, but we do enjoy ethnic restaurants/health food. I've heard Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area is good, but not sure if 3BR that allows dogs exists there?

We are not new to urban environments...we grew up near DC and NY, but neither of us lived IN the city. Totally undecided about DC vs. NOVA, so we are looking at both. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2012 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: 3 posts merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,065 times
Anything on the Blue or Yellow Lines of the Metro, so Alexandria and South Arlington fit. Don't forget about the District; even U Street is only 15-20 minutes from Pentagon via the Yellow Line.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 AM

14 posts, read 26,401 times
At the risk of sounding harsh, I would say that a 3 bedroom with outdoor space will be impossible to find within the district for $2800. You should be able to find a nice 2 bedroom in a good neighborhood though.

Seeing as it's my favorite neighborhood, I second @geoking66 in taking a look at U Street.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
best bet for 3BR and dogs would be a townhouse. Unfortunately lots of the more affordable TH areas IN DC are going to be a tad far from the Pentagon.

If I were you I would look along the blue line/orange line stations in Capital Hill. Eastern Market area is VERY nice, but just may be too pricey. Try the next two stops east - Potomac Avenue, and then Stadium Armory - some people might find those areas too sketchy, but the houses are cheaper. You have to determine your own comfort level (and you can come back here and ask about any particular block)

Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM

145 posts, read 155,232 times
Thanks, I'll look into these areas. I don't expect outdoor space in DC, but that does mean the neighborhood will need to be safe enough for me to take the dogs for lengthy runs every day. I'm not too familiar with U Street...I had heard it was a little sketchy, but maybe that was a long time ago?

I just realized my husband's housing allowance will go up to $3K during our first year there, so we don't necessarily need to stick to $2800. We could actually even go higher since I plan to work as well (govt engineer), but since I have no idea if I'll still want to work once we have a kid I rather be able to cover rent on one salary.

For the 2BR places in DC, are they typically closet-sized, or it is remotely likely we could fit a couple of dog crates in our bedroom (with our Cal King bed)? I'm not crazy about the idea of an apartment, since it would be a project to take the dogs out, but would we get more space for our $$ in an apartment, do you think?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilly31415 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into these areas. I don't expect outdoor space in DC, but that does mean the neighborhood will need to be safe enough for me to take the dogs for lengthy runs every day. I'm not too familiar with U Street...I had heard it was a little sketchy, but maybe that was a long time ago?

I just realized my husband's housing allowance will go up to $3K during our first year there, so we don't necessarily need to stick to $2800. We could actually even go higher since I plan to work as well (govt engineer), but since I have no idea if I'll still want to work once we have a kid I rather be able to cover rent on one salary.

For the 2BR places in DC, are they typically closet-sized, or it is remotely likely we could fit a couple of dog crates in our bedroom (with our Cal King bed)? I'm not crazy about the idea of an apartment, since it would be a project to take the dogs out, but would we get more space for our $$ in an apartment, do you think?

Thanks!
U Street has an urban vibe to it, but I would no longer call it sketchy. Like anywhere in DC, it's going to have some very desirable elements and some undesirable elements. It might be uncomfortable for someone who's spent their whole lives in whitewashed suburbs, but since you've lived in big cities before, you wouldn't have a problem. Capitol Hill/ Eastern Market probably has the highest concentration of parents with young children in all of DC. It's an ideal area a family with small children: safe, clean, good parks, good schools, great location. You would have to transfer at L'Enfant Plaza to get to the Pentagon, but it's only a 15-20 minute ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC