Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it's just kidspeak. Hopefully as kids get older they learn to speak in something resembling standard English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:51 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,273 times
Yes, young White women raised in safe predominantly White suburban environments do say "like" a lot. Its a second-nature nuanced cultural thing. Sort of like how Black dudes from Baltimore say "yo" in every sentence and even refer to people as "yo" (i.e. "yo said that"). Just like how young Black dudes in DC and PG County call everyone a "bamma" even if the said "bamma" is ironically from a place like New York City. But I think the valley girl speak among young White females is much more widespread than you are willing to admit and is not limited to DC and California.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Fer sure.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Maybe this will put it in context. Apparently, whatever they are saying, or however they are saying it, you may be doing five or 10 years from now if you're a guy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/sc...pagewanted=all

Ehhhh, this stuff I'm talking about has been around at least since the 80's. There was a movie made and Frank Zappa wrote a song about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I noticed that too in NYC in the Upper East Side...I always associate it with yuppie havens of the city. But I think it comes from non-East Coast people who move East....I think.

I never noticed that among anyone else than the yuppie professionalism areas which seems to attract people nation-wise.
I didn't really spend much time in the Upper East and West Sides when I lived in NYC. Maybe that's why I didn't notice that many people speaking that way. And NYC has it's own way of speaking that sort of crosses demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I agree. Who cares?

And it's not a "problem". That's how some people talk and it probably isn't intentional.
I never said it was a problem, but I think it's a little annoying and I just think it's just strange how prevalent it is here among what seem to be well-educated young women. It sounds like ditzy teenager talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well like you like totally cares?

Not me. This is petty and inane. If you're getting upset and annoyed over someone's voice and speech patterns then you have the problem not them.

I'm not getting upset about it. It's pretty obvious my first post was tongue-in-cheek. Sorry that it whizzed on by you like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Yes, young White women raised in safe predominantly White suburban environments do say "like" a lot. Its a second-nature nuanced cultural thing. Sort of like how Black dudes from Baltimore say "yo" in every sentence and even refer to people as "yo" (i.e. "yo said that"). Just like how young Black dudes in DC and PG County call everyone a "bamma" even if the said "bamma" is ironically from a place like New York City. But I think the valley girl speak among young White females is much more widespread than you are willing to admit and is not limited to DC and California.
I didn't say it wasn't common in other places. I'm just surprised at how common it is here. Maybe I give DC women too much credit and maybe I overestimated the percentage who may have attended finishing school or something.

Some of you guys need to lighten up...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
If there is one thing I've noticed about this city, it's the prevalence of "Valley Girl" speak. I swear, some women use "like" for every other word. It's particularly bad around Dupont Circle. It wasn't even this ubiquitous in California. It drives me insane.

"Like, we were like, OMG shoes! And like, they were all like, "Like WTF?!""

Does anyone have an explanation?
This very annoying way of speaking is a nationwide tragedy. I'm looking for places where people DON'T talk like this.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 PM

155 posts, read 310,643 times
To me, it's not necessarily a valley girl speak, just a high pitched sing-song sort of tone. And the intonation placed at the end of a statement? Turning statements into questions? Like that's really annoying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC