Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Yes I was in DC in August and I noticed the change as well in Georgetown. Many of the stores I liked from back in the day are gone. I remember when the side walks were so crowded you had to walk in the streets. I loved the live music from the various bars. Friday and Saturday used to be popping.

Why was it changed into a residential neighborhood?
People have always lived in Georgetown. I wouldn't exactly call it suburbia just yet though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Yes I was in DC in August and I noticed the change as well in Georgetown. Many of the stores I liked from back in the day are gone. I remember when the side walks were so crowded you had to walk in the streets. I loved the live music from the various bars. Friday and Saturday used to be popping.

Why was it changed into a residential neighborhood?
It wasn't changed. The residential buildings are still where the residential buildings were and the commercial buildings are still where the commercial buildings were.

Georgetown and GW aren't in session until the last week of August. It's still crowded sidewalks and full bars when they are around.

Georgetown has more competition from other DC neighborhoods that now offer an acceptable degree of safety and recreational options, but I don't think it's in significant decline.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
I think decline is not a good word. Evolve is much better. Georgetown has definitely toned down a bit from the days when 200,000 would be there for Halloween. Like many of the poster's already mentioned, it has competition from other places in the city. Metro doesn't have anything to do with it. People would come to Georgetown regardless but it's not the happening place in town right now. As for real estate, it is still one of DC's most prestigous and desirable locations. Just look in the Post's home sales section.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:50 PM

66 posts, read 173,324 times
Wow I thought it was just me! I went to Georgetown University and thus spent 4 years hanging out in Georgetown and I am pretty sick of it. I was super impressed by it when I first moved here, but now I never even think to go there. I rarely go back to shop, eat, or party, and if I go anywhere near that part of town I usually hit Glover Park instead because I like Breadsoda. The Georgetown bars are very expensive and the scene is weird. I don't want to get all gussied up just to go drink but you feel weird as a girl walking around Gtown in flats and a t-shirt on a Friday night. The stores are all mall stores that have jacked up their prices- if I want to shop at stores like that I'd rather go to Pentagon City and just shop at the cheaper versions of those same stores. The restaurants are played out and not innovative at all- if they are at all inventive then they charge an arm and a leg (Bandolero I'm looking at you). I'd much rather dine on U street, H street, or even Old Town Alexandria, which is basically Georgetown except a little cheaper. I don't think Georgetown is in 'decline' per say- it's always going to have expensive real estate and the university, but I think it's no longer the 'hot' going out area it used to be and it needs to find its niche again.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
It's such a hassle to get to. I mean I live in SW, so its 5 minutes away but living in Columbia Heights before, I'd pass on an evening out in Georgetown. It feels like it's on the other end of the city and a chore to get to.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM

465 posts, read 928,301 times
Quote:
I mean I live in SW, so its 5 minutes away
Explain? Is there a circulator or something?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times
NoMa is the fastest growing destination.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
And just like Georgetown, 15 years from now, someone will be having the same conversation about U & H Streets. NOMA is quicky coming up followed by the Navy Yard. All things change.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Explain? Is there a circulator or something?
I live on 4th street SW and it would probably take 10 minutes to get to the heart of Georgetown. I was being generous with 5 minutes. Basically I have to get on Maine avenue and then get onto Independence Avenue and I'm there. Point is, it's very accessible from where I live.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM

155 posts, read 310,643 times
What is the new park on the Potomac?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC