Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Of the never ending list of dumb things that 'massive military industrial complex' is used to rationalize on this forum, this has got to be the dumbest. You're not having a miserable time dating here because you're being beat by Navy Seals and Army Rangers every night. Give me a break.
What is also dumb is judging height by an area. You telling me that height genes are stopped at the MD border? Weight is one thing that can be dictated by lifestyle, but height and size is just....what is God given. How can someone even associate that with an area???

Or maybe short people come to DC?

Vegetables don't grow here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Sorry, but this thread is just as whiny as the rest of them. I just don't understand how people are having such a hard time finding decent dates in the DC metro area. I guess there are different outcomes for different types of men. If you have a decent job, no kids, and are not completely busted looking, then this area is your oyster. All you have to do is have a decent personality and step up. It's not that complicated.

I guess on a racial note, this seems to be white men problems, at least on this website. No offense, but in real life the ones I know seem to be doing just fine. Decent black guys don't seem to have this problem. I never had a problem dating black, white, asian, or hispanic girls around here. I do see guys on this site always complain about frumpy white girls like they are the only option in the area. It's sad really. Especially when it's coming from beggars.
100% co-sign

As far as beautiful white women go, I live in Arlington and see many every day...EVERYDAY. Feel free to cross the bridge if you really think its that bad in DC (but it's not)

Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Sorry, but this thread is just as whiny as the rest of them. I just don't understand how people are having such a hard time finding decent dates in the DC metro area. I guess there are different outcomes for different types of men. If you have a decent job, no kids, and are not completely busted looking, then this area is your oyster. All you have to do is have a decent personality and step up. It's not that complicated.

I guess on a racial note, this seems to be white men problems, at least on this website. No offense, but in real life the ones I know seem to be doing just fine. Decent black guys don't seem to have this problem. I never had a problem dating black, white, asian, or hispanic girls around here. I do see guys on this site always complain about frumpy white girls like they are the only option in the area. It's sad really. Especially when it's coming from beggars.
True. If they narrow themselves down to a small selection of the population, than their dating pool becomes really narrow.

If I were to only drink 'Tab Cola', there'll be a lot of times where I can't find anything to drink.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 PM

339 posts, read 836,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
What is also dumb is judging height by an area. You telling me that height genes are stopped at the MD border? Weight is one thing that can be dictated by lifestyle, but height and size is just....what is God given. How can someone even associate that with an area???

Yup. It's a silly claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
100% co-sign

As far as beautiful white women go, I live in Arlington and see many every day...EVERYDAY. Feel free to cross the bridge if you really think its that bad in DC (but it's not)
OMG! Don't even get me started on Arlington. The nightlife there has even more sausage then DC.

But I do agree that there's some attractive girls around there during the day. NoVa is the one light in the darkness. Without it this area would be a true wasteland.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM

11 posts, read 26,849 times
Quote:

You do realize that everything you listed is "average" right? Decent job, decent personality, not busted. Average begets average. Enjoy your oyster, but I think we're in different worlds.

Oddly enough, I haven't complained once about "frumpy girls". I also never implied I was a beggar, or that I'm not dating.

I received an infraction for an ad hominem attack, so I'll "cleverly" disguise my response to a few posters here by making a sweeping generalization (which appears to be acceptable to the moderators).

I don't believe all of these Don Juans for a second. If (and this is a big if) they are truly as successful as they claim to be, I can only assume they aren't very discerning. However anecdotal, I make this assumption based on real world observations. This isn't just pertaining to looks. I believe if you are true to yourself, it's hard to find a good match. If you're desperate for companionship or sex, then yes, there are plenty of options.

I don't really understand all of the confusion here. My posts have been pretty explicit. I see gorgeous women in the day. Just not really at night. Thank you to everyone who's trying to be constructive.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM

11 posts, read 26,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Look at what some poster said about an average looking woman above me. As much as it cracked me up, he just ripped her to shreds for being average. If his attitude is anything what can be expected in this town, then all females are in trouble. But I'm willing to assume that his attitude is only indicative of his own views and would overtly explain why he's here whining about not getting laid.

My point: Have you ever seen the movie '40 Year Old Virgin'?

That chick he ends up with, I don't know her name. Catherine I think. But I read in an interview she gave where she said something along the lines that she does not think she's good looking. But she still likes to have sex so therefore she must be sexy.

To someone like the poster who bagged on average woman, she is nobody. But to many men, she's got that something. As you yourself might say perhaps, something to masturbate to. Though I giggle at his absurdness, I maintain my stand against the bagger.

And like Forest Gump said... crazy is as crazy does. I think skydiving is insane. But a parachute is still a life saver.
I completely agree with you. Sex appeal is completely different than looks. In my opinion, it trumps looks. I'm also not too keen on judging women based on photographs as I've seen either perception (hot or not) flipped on its head when face to face with someone.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post

I said exactly:

"My perspective has always been that this town is populated by a high concentration of physically unassuming men."

Which is 1) explicitly my perspective and 2) not an assessment of all men in the DC area, but an assessment of the mix that I see. I feel like you only process things in inflated hyperbole.

Now for both you and Gilgamesh: picture for yourselves the average DC man. Is he built like a lumberjack or is he built like an accountant? Lets be honest. The nature of the city doesn't lend itself particularly well to physicality, just as the culture of the city doesn't lend itself particularly well to women dressing provocatively.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
But I do agree that there's some attractive girls around there during the day. NoVa is the one light in the darkness. Without it this area would be a true wasteland.

There are many beautiful women during the daytime in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and even a MILF or two. The nightlife has plenty of men, but there are still many beautiful woman out and about. If you stand on Clarendon boulevard on a Friday/Saturday night, your head will be turning from left to right.

Also, do the women have to be white? Am I the only one who can see the ridiculous Ethiopian women all over U Street, or the Black American and Asian women that go to the clubs at 14 and K? What about the halfway hipsters on H Street? I have to disagree on the wasteland comment.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
I don't think the mission-based approach of trying to figure out the best place to meet singles, and then going there with the mindset of meeting someone, is particularly effective.

Personally, I found success by taking opportunities to hang out with multiple groups of people through friendships I had. I had a ten roommates over five years, each with their own group of friends; a dozen co-workers each with their own group of friends; friends from college each with their own group of friends, friends from high school with their group of friends, neighbors with their group of friends. If I got an invite to go somewhere with them, I'd be happy to take it even if my friend would be the only person I knew there. In return, I would invite them and their friends to whatever I had going on.

I (well, since I never had less than 2 roommates, I should say 'we') would have house parties regularly, and give broad invitations for people we knew to bring their friends along. We might invite 12 people, but end up with 60 or more coming through our doors over the course of a night. I also host happy hours on my office balcony for all of my friends in the Farragut Park area, and they all know it's an open invitation. So I meet people through that as well.

These are comfortable, low pressure situations, because everyone knows someone. By virtue of that, the barriers to getting to know someone new are lower because you're probably 'ok' since you're ultimately there because you're friends with someone. Even then, I never really went into anything with the mindset of snagging a single girl; if it happened it happened, if not, then it was still a great party and maybe I'd come out of it knowing a person or two that I would enjoy hanging out with later.

As far as bars go, I almost always go with some girls that are friends, which makes our group a lot less intimidating than a group of just guys. Even when I would approach a girl, I think it softened the touch because they have some indication that at least the girls I'm with can stand my presence.

Also going out with girls regularly has made me keenly aware of what they deal with. I got married recently, and my wife and her friends are very attractive. When they really go out, it's like dropping chum in the water. They are bombarded by these guys who are on a mission to manufacture a connection. It makes me wince sometimes, but as cold as they can be, they're more patient than I would be with that constant assault.

I can't say that there was 'x bar' that I always had success at, or 'y activity' that was a great way to meet singles. Finding the right person, for whatever you're looking for, is just a matter of casting a wide net. I think DC provides more than ample opportunities, through all of the young people here, and all of the activities to make casting a wide net easier than most places.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InertForce View Post
You do realize that everything you listed is "average" right? Decent job, decent personality, not busted. Average begets average. Enjoy your oyster, but I think we're in different worlds.
First of all, I was setting the bare minimum for being relatively successful in this area. Anything less, and then you have a legitimate issue. I'll assume based off of your last sentence that you believe you are above average in reference to the DMV dating pool. You are the one the made a whiny thread.

Quote:
Oddly enough, I haven't complained once about "frumpy girls". I also never implied I was a beggar, or that I'm not dating.
That was actually for the ones who did. It was just easier than going back doing a multi-quote on the guys in here that only date models.

Quote:
I received an infraction for an ad hominem attack, so I'll "cleverly" disguise my response to a few posters here by making a sweeping generalization (which appears to be acceptable to the moderators).
I hope it wasn't because you were saying something to me. If so, I didn't see it.

Quote:
I don't believe all of these Don Juans for a second. If (and this is a big if) they are truly as successful as they claim to be, I can only assume they aren't very discerning. However anecdotal, I make this assumption based on real world observations. This isn't just pertaining to looks. I believe if you are true to yourself, it's hard to find a good match. If you're desperate for companionship or sex, then yes, there are plenty of options.

I don't really understand all of the confusion here. My posts have been pretty explicit. I see gorgeous women in the day. Just not really at night. Thank you to everyone who's trying to be constructive.
You are welcome for my constructive analysis to your thread. I never said I was a Don Juan ever. I just said it's not hard to be successful in this area. It is a fact that there are plenty of beautiful datable women in this area. But, and I had this convo with others here before, that doesn't mean there aren't higher concentration of hot women in other cities. We know that. Like I said before if you meet the bare minimum, and have a good personality and know how to talk to people, you should do fine.

Now, if you are looking for a life long partner, then of course it is going to be hard.

But then again, I am black, and I didn't limit my options by race. But I guess if you are looking for hot white women that will talk to you, it could be shallow during the night time for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC