Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
ASSUMING I get a transfer, I will attend American University in Washington, D.C. I am from Chicago, specifically the South Side. I am an African-American male, and basically I want to compare the ghettoes in D.C. (say Anacostia) to those of Chicago. Like, is there a local chicken franchise comparable to Harold's Chicken in Chicago....and odd things like that. Food, etc.

And of course, info on D.C. in comparison to Chicago is good too.

Hopefully I dont only get Yuppies to respond here =P
I'm an American University student. I have no idea about South Side or Anacostia. All I can tell you is if you want to live in the Southeast, you're going to have an awful commute to school. It's the opposite end of the city. If you drive, you have to cut through the city. If you take the metro, you have to transfer at Chinatown, so we're talking 30 mins minimum (a bus will take an hour). Driving isn't much shorter, since you have to cut right through the city.

U-St, Shaw, Columbia Heights are a little better for communing (I know people who live there). They're considered gentrifying, so I wouldn't call them ghettos. They have a good mix of people. There's nothing near AU (tennleytown) for chicken places that I can think of. There's just a fake Chinese place that has chicken.

I've heard good things about Ooos n Aahs: Wix.com ona3 created by oohhsnaahhs based on reg-top-menu-3 on U-St. I've heard Henry's Soul Cafe is good too: Henry's Soul Cafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,954,890 times
Georgia ave NW can still be considered ghetto.......not like it used to be though.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Georgia ave NW can still be considered ghetto.......not like it used to be though.
Parts of it but not all of it. The part of Georgia Avenue that goes through Petworth is ghetto as all get out even though there are nicer parts of Petworth. Odd part of town over there. Never seen a single neighborhood have such shockingly different parts.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
I have a friend who lives in Petworth (and works in Dupont). I don't know anything about the chicken.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
I'm not a rich yuppie

I wanna be able to know my surroundings more thoroughly than a Yuppie transplant. I also wanna be able to scare international students effectively by talling them to "go into my neighborhoods"

There was a recent WAPO article about the upstanding black youth near the Anacostia river who were throwing Rocks and Bottles at the metro buses. Now the metro buses are refusing to go into that area and forcing their parents to walk 13 blocks to the next bus stops. Is that Hood enough for you?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 21,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Come to Norfolk Virginia, the entire city is ghetto.
Lived in Norfolk and the entire city is not ghetto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC