Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM

161 posts, read 394,946 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My situation is this: Basically, I'm trying to see if I can live with my cousin who will be moving to the DC area next year. She will be working in Bethesda most of the time, but sometimes Georgetown. I currently commute from Arlington to Fairfax every day.

I want to live with her, but my commute to work each day is already 35-40 minutes one way (could be a lot worse, but I used to walk to work at my old job so I'm a bit spoiled). I have to drive to work because my office isn't metro accessible.

We want to make it work but given that she'll be taking public transportation to work (metro to Bethesda/buses for Georgetown?) we're trying to see if there's a good midpoint location (in DC or Maryland?) that isn't too bad for her, but won't increase my commute significantly. Anything come to mind? Like I'm wondering if Dupont Circle wouldn't be too terrible? I'm assuming that moving to Maryland would have a lot of bad traffic for my commute (?)

I'd appreciate any input on the matter! I don't drive a lot in DC or Maryland - only for work really (metro or walking for everything else) so any insight would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
How about somewhere near Rosslyn? I know people who live in Georgetown and walk to work in Rosslyn over the Key Bridge. Your cousin could do the reverse, and take the metro to Bethesda.

This would be easier for you than Dupont for getting to Fairfax because you wouldn't have to worry about getting out of the city and getting stuck in congestion on one of the bridges. You already live in Arlington, so I am guessing Rosslyn wouldn't add much to the commute you already have.

Also Dupont is one of the most high-rent hoods in the entire metro area, and maybe the hardest to keep a car in. Street parking is very competitive, and renting an off-street spot would be expensive.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Honestly I think you are in the best spot already in Arlington. Fairfax to anywhere in Maryland will make you hate life.

Northwest DC would be okay expect a longer commute on 66 in the afternoons though.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,116 times
I'd stay in VA if you're driving, and stay in Arlington, probably northern Arlington along the Orange line, close to Rosslyn for your cousins sake. Moving in to DC would probably add another 10-15 minutes to your commute.

Other options... Bethesda area maybe? But I think the beltway south towards I66 in the morning can be rough sometimes. Might want to test that commute out.

No matter what you end up doing, I'd test the commute, both by driving it, and at least going on Metro's Tripplanner website to get an idea of how long the metro ride will be. Also, Padmapper has a little tool that lets you estimate driving time from a specific address. Doesn't take into account traffic, but pretty neat.

I just went through this with my GF. Finding an apartment for her metro accessible work in DC and my non metro accessible work in VA. Very frustrating. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
How about somewhere near Rosslyn? I know people who live in Georgetown and walk to work in Rosslyn over the Key Bridge. Your cousin could do the reverse, and take the metro to Bethesda.

This would be easier for you than Dupont for getting to Fairfax because you wouldn't have to worry about getting out of the city and getting stuck in congestion on one of the bridges. You already live in Arlington, so I am guessing Rosslyn wouldn't add much to the commute you already have.

Also Dupont is one of the most high-rent hoods in the entire metro area, and maybe the hardest to keep a car in. Street parking is very competitive, and renting an off-street spot would be expensive.
Yeah, I actually live near Rosslyn right now. My cousin thinks Rosslyn is a bit far for her, because apparently she'll be working in Bethesda most of the time (the breakdown of her time between Bethesda and Georgetown is probably like 75/25). Rosslyn to Bethesda by metro is at least 30 minutes right? Then she has a 10 to 15 minute walk from there to work, so I can see where she's coming from... hmm. Thanks for the input though!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 AM

Thanks for all the opinions - I'm wondering if us trying to live together is just going to make both of our commutes even less convenient. But it also depends on what housing options we find, I suppose.

If we try for DC, I think I'm open to Foggy Bottom - that is probably as far as I'm willing to go (the current commute is already my least favorite part of my day...don't need to make it worse), although honestly doesn't make much of a difference for her commute. If not then we probably just won't because I think she has already ruled Rosslyn out of the picture - too far from Bethesda (she'll probably be working more there than in Georgetown).

Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
It's weird that she would consider Rosslyn too far from Bethesda but Foggy Bottom not. Rosslyn is one metro stop from Foggy Bottom. It's literally a two-minute difference. Does she realize that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC