Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

We are moving to DC in January and my husband will be working very close to McPherson Square & relying exclusively on public transportation and his bike. We have 2 young kids (2 yrs, 6 mo). We will have a car but only I will use it.

Money is not an issue for either the metro or the apartment (both will be paid for by his employer as this is a 6 month stint and we don't really have a limit). We know absolutely nothing about living in DC or Arlington or the public transportation as we are moving from the west coast.

My husband would like the shortest commute possible but is fine not living within walking distance. He would prefer to stay on the same metro line for the entire commute. We are hoping to find a nice, safe, upgraded 2 bed/2 bath apartment as opposed to a townhouse/condo. My biggest concern is not annoying all of our neighbors when our kids wake up at night, and/or not living in an area that is so noisy with night life that they never go to sleep! But we want to live right on the metro line that will take us closest to McPherson Sq.

Please help!! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamopiblue View Post
We are moving to DC in January and my husband will be working very close to McPherson Square & relying exclusively on public transportation and his bike. We have 2 young kids (2 yrs, 6 mo). We will have a car but only I will use it.

Money is not an issue for either the metro or the apartment (both will be paid for by his employer as this is a 6 month stint and we don't really have a limit). We know absolutely nothing about living in DC or Arlington or the public transportation as we are moving from the west coast.

My husband would like the shortest commute possible but is fine not living within walking distance. He would prefer to stay on the same metro line for the entire commute. We are hoping to find a nice, safe, upgraded 2 bed/2 bath apartment as opposed to a townhouse/condo. My biggest concern is not annoying all of our neighbors when our kids wake up at night, and/or not living in an area that is so noisy with night life that they never go to sleep! But we want to live right on the metro line that will take us closest to McPherson Sq.

Please help!! Thank you!!

that you have no limit on rent (seriously?) and your kids are not school age, gives you choices we don't ordinarily think of for families with children. Off the top of my head I would pick Capital Hill, especially the area from around Lincoln Square, to around Eastern Market. Lots of young kids, easy metro ride, and I see lots of folks on bikes (though the route across downtown may not be ideal despite the new cycle track).

For an area known for less crime maybe Glover Park? Though no metro station there (bus or bike would be the commute) and I don't know how many kids are there.

Another nice area is Capital Riverfront, also lots of kids, and more or less decent routes for bike commuting I think - but the metro ride will be longer since it will involve a transfer.

Or if you want to be on the Orange line (the best one for McPherson Sq) and dont want to deal with possible crime problems in Cap Hill (its not that bad, but you have wide choices) maybe close in Arlington, VA would be best. Heck, yeah. Rosslyn - short metro ride, good biking, not too noisy I think. Again, not sure if there are many kids there.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
If schools and rent are not issues, there are just too many possibilities. There are a wide variety of urban and suburban neighborhoods within a reasonable commute of McPherson Square. You need to give more information about what you are looking for in a neighborhood to narrow it down.

Also, if I were you I would look up the tax rates for DC versus Virginia or Maryland to see if that would affect which of the three jurisdictions you would want to live in. Of course, even if it means paying higher taxes, you may decide it is worth it for the more walkable and urban areas in DC.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,208 times
Capital Hill/ Eastern Market is a great area for families, along with Cleveland Park and Woodley Park in NW. The red line can take you directly to Farragut North stop with no train chance, and it's a short walk from McPherson Square.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Also, if I were you I would look up the tax rates for DC versus Virginia or Maryland to see if that would affect which of the three jurisdictions you would want to live in. Of course, even if it means paying higher taxes, you may decide it is worth it for the more walkable and urban areas in DC.
Strictly on the matter of taxes, they really don't differ that much at the end of the day when you compare DC, VA, and MD - certainly not enough to be the deciding factor on what place to live IMHO. Income tax is lower in VA, but you'll be hit with a pesky property tax bill on your cars. But yes I believe that DC has higher marginal tax rates and VA and MD.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM

220 posts, read 548,171 times
I'd go with Eastern Market (Capitol Hill). The neighborhood has a variety of restaurants and coffee shops as well as some parks, but it's more family friendly/less noisy than some of the other DC neighborhoods. It's become a popular neighborhood for families with young kids. You might even be able to rent a townhouse there (rather than an apartment) in which case you wouldn't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC