Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,149 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to DC soon for a new job. It's not my dream job, so I'm planning to stay for 2-3 years. What I would really like to do is work for a think tank or nonprofit that deals with international issues, and eventually work for the state department when I'm older.

What is the best way to meet people who are already on this career path and could hopefully point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 AM

199 posts, read 334,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegrapejuice View Post
I'm moving to DC soon for a new job. It's not my dream job, so I'm planning to stay for 2-3 years. What I would really like to do is work for a think tank or nonprofit that deals with international issues, and eventually work for the state department when I'm older.

What is the best way to meet people who are already on this career path and could hopefully point me in the right direction?
Not sure what you education background is, but if you don't have a graduate degree in a relevant field, it will be tough. Jobs in the policy/think tank field, just like most other jobs right now, are hard to come by. (Anecdotally, I have a few friends with masters degrees that are still looking). If you do have a graduate degree already, I'd be scanning websites to see when local universities and think tanks are having conferences/guest speaker events that are open to the public. It's not really my field, but I have to think there are a ton going on here in DC all the time.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM

144 posts, read 259,572 times
Oh, please don't be another boring non-prof bunny...this city is full of them. If you must, the best way to network - seriously - is to go to one of the DC graduate schools in public policy/IR. If you don't have time, etc...then go to the free think-tank/non-prof events of which there are many of every single day (with food, many of them at least, so another bennie). Go online and get on the mailing list...and if you're good looking, courteous with a good degree (everybody is smart in DC), then you're in luck.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 PM

161 posts, read 394,946 times
go to events like lectures, panels, talks, etc on the topics you're interested in. You'll always meet like-minded people there

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Drunk

Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Verizon?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM

361 posts, read 854,137 times
1. Temp, especially in a high profile assignment (i.e., receptionist)
2. Get involved in your local alumni association, or if you don't have one bogart into alumni association events of friends
3. Get a part time job with a caterer as a server or bartender (I know someone who landed a job this way)
4. Build up your online reputation--- LinkedIn, listservs, Blogs...
5. See if you can audit some classes
6. Walk past the place you want to work every day at same time in the morning... Say Brookings on Mass. Ave. Notice who you see every day, and then one day strike up a conversation ("Hey I see you every day. You work at Brookings?? blah, blah, blah...")

Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
1. Temp, especially in a high profile assignment (i.e., receptionist)
2. Get involved in your local alumni association, or if you don't have one bogart into alumni association events of friends
3. Get a part time job with a caterer as a server or bartender (I know someone who landed a job this way)
4. Build up your online reputation--- LinkedIn, listservs, Blogs...
5. See if you can audit some classes
6. Walk past the place you want to work every day at same time in the morning... Say Brookings on Mass. Ave. Notice who you see every day, and then one day strike up a conversation ("Hey I see you every day. You work at Brookings?? blah, blah, blah...")
Ha I like that last one, if you have the time and its not too far out of the way. But not sure, lol, if they find out you're just hanging out, that might come off as kinda crazy.

I'd also try some hobbies/sports that your interested in. Try a few leagues and see if anyone is around worth talking to. I know of a few relatively high profile people (compared to myself) that play in sports leagues. And its not just sports, but there are also computer/coding/"hacker" groups out there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC