Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM

40 posts, read 259,315 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I posted here a few times before but I will summarize my situation again. I am 23 year old female and am moving to DC (Woodley Park) in mid-November. I am from Florida, and the coldest temp I have experienced is maybe 30 degrees. (Which is really cold to me!) I have never seen snow. I will not have a car and will be walking everywhere. Although my apartment is across the street from the metro.

I know I am in for a rude awakening. I need advice on clothing. Do people wear thermal underwear, what kind of shoes, jackets, etc??? Any particular brand...some website suggestions would be great!

I keep hearing people say to where boots to work when its snowing/icy outside and then change shoes when you get to work...do people really do this? What kind of boots do I wear? Don't your work pants get wet from walking in snow? Are the sidewalks really slippery?

As you can see I am very naive about this and would like some honest advice. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 PM

74 posts, read 378,318 times
I think dressing in layers is probably the best advice as per clothing. Avoid giant bulky coats and think of layers. If its miserably cold I will wear (maybe TMI )
(1) regular underwear
(2) long underwear (top and bottom),
(3) jeans* and t-shirt,
(4) medium fleece pullover
(5) "shell layer" - windbreaker/raincoat type thing with a hood
head warmth is very important, so I also wear winter cap, plus maybe a scarf
*Avoid jeans/cotton if you are probably going to be wet because they will stay wet

So I take that and subtract layers until I am comfortable. Then throughout the day if it heats up, its easy to take layers off to stay comfortable. If you had one big winter coat, you might be too hot with it on or too cold with it off. For more ideas, I'd google "dressing in layers"

About getting wet, they do try to salt roadways and shovel sidewalks, but sometimes its only marginally effective. You can get "ski pants" to wear over your regular pants to keep dry. I'd definitely recommend wearing boots on snowy days no matter what, especially if there's icy sidewalks to contend with.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,360,050 times
Hehe. This reminds me of my college roommate. I went to school in the Northeast and my roommate was from South Florida and the idea of winter just freaked him out.

Pythagras offered great tips, all of which I would co-sign, even if I don't follow it myself. I generally just grin and bear it so to speak. I don't really dress up that much for it because I'm usually not outdoors for long periods of time in the winter. It's usually just a run to the car and then a run to the office or restaurant or wherever, which is generally heated up nice and toasty (hence why dressing in layers is a good idea).

Just try to minimize the amount of exposed flesh. Definitely have a hat, earmuffs, a scarf, gloves and boots. I wear normal dress shoes, even during winter, but I do in fact see a lot of people wearing boots and then changing at work. The boot situation isn't one that is needed for the entire winter seeing as how the ground doesn't remain covered with snow or ice for the entirety of the season; just on those days right after snowfall.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,072,349 times
I'm a big believer in thermal (long) underwear, but you have to get something that breathes as when you get to your office you might sweat. You might also want to look at something thin so you don't look all padded up.

Layers are good because they give you options. Hats are very good for keeping warm, and gloves are essential on some days.

Generally it isn't that bad in DC, but there are a few < 20 degree days that can put a chill in you.

As for snow, it can sometimes stay on the ground for a few days, but I think it often times melts away pretty quickly. You don't have to worry that much about snow.

What you will have to watch for is 'slush'--i.e. melted snow that collects at corners and in the streets. That is a wet mush, like a bunch of crushed ice in a bucket. Imagine stepping in that--yuck. It sucks. Then it gets dirty with road grit and sand and all that. Can be a pain.

If you are walking around in snow, then you would probably want some boots and change at the office. If you have a car taking you to work, or are on the Metro, then you might get away with some business shoes.

Last edited by PenguinSix; 10-17-2007 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,714,502 times
Girl, let me tell you that you have nothing to worry about.

Winter wear here is , as many here have suggested, easy to manage if you have many layers and breathable fabric.

To answer your initial questions:
-Yes, sidewalks are slippery
-Yes, it is a good idea to wear boots if you're walking in the snow. This is for both waterproofness (is that a word?) and for warmth. Nothing sucks more than wet sneakers. Trust me. I know.
-Workpants can get wet from walking in the snow but there are three ways to combat this: a) you are having so much fun from jumping in the snow that you don't give a hoot b) wear boots that go over your pants c) wear shorter pants.

From one girl to another, here are the constants in my winter wardrobe;

-Sweaters: cashmere, turtleneck, fuzzy, thick and thin
-Sweat shirts
-Hat
-Gloves
-Warm, thick tube socks (for wearing under those boots in icky weather)
-Scarves: have a variety of thick, thin, and colors--they dress up bulky winterwear nicely
-Turtlenecks: these are a blessing when the wind is blowing very cold and you want something sticking closely to you to keep you warm
-Knee-length or thigh-length winter coat with a hood
-Boots: you will need calf-length and shin-length ones.

I would argue that the cold isn't something that you have to worry too much about. DC, compared to where I used to live (way up high in the mountains), is fairly warm and palatable in the winter. I'd argue that the thing to keep out for is the slippery ice, slush, and snow as that is what causes the most accidents around here (auto and otherwise)

Good luck! You'll do just fine!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,700,330 times
If you dress in layers, thermal underwear, long sleeve shirt, sweater or fleece, then a jacket, ear muffs/ear 'wrap', and pants you should be fine.

Sports Authority - Apparel: Apparel: Under Armour Action Long Sleeve Top Womens

Sports Authority - Apparel: Winter Accessories: Earwarmers &Headbands: Hind Radiant Headband

Oh, yeah, get a snow shovel. I can sell you mine if you would like. LOL!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM

40 posts, read 259,315 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. It is much appreciated! One quick question:

Now when you say boots...in my head I think dress boots...like leather boots with 2 inch heels that I wear when its cold (haha 40 degrees cold) in Tallahassee, FL...

Do you mean like heavy duty work boots with special bottoms for the ice/snow, etc? (Timberlands type clunky boots?)

What kind of boots do I wear to work if its slippery out?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:44 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,700,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megad00dle View Post

Now when you say boots...in my head I think dress boots...like leather boots with 2 inch heels that I wear when its cold (haha 40 degrees cold) in Tallahassee, FL...

Do you mean like heavy duty work boots with special bottoms for the ice/snow, etc? (Timberlands type clunky boots?)

Non-slip boots like those in Lands End or LL Bean Catalogs.

You will wear them when it gets below the freezing temperature of water.

Get an ice scraper and a spray on De-icer:
Amazon.com: Prestone Spray De-Icer 11 oz. Aerosol Can: Automotive

A long scraper if you have a pick up truck or SUV, like most Floridians have ( I just moved to Florida from DC LOL!).

Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,714,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megad00dle View Post

Have several boots to switch off from because having only one pair of boots to last you throughout the winter is just dull and boring.

From my closet:
-knee-high dress boots
-Fuzzy pink Ugg boots
-Timberland yellow work boots
-Black ankle-length leather boots with a chunky heel

Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 AM

30 posts, read 182,297 times
Listen To Me This Is Normal Dc Winter Gear And U Will Be Aight Just Go Buy A North Face And Some Nike Boots And You Goin Fit Right In With The Rest Of Us Trust Me Dats All We Wear Here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC