Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 11,500 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I will be moving to the D.C. area in August to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms. My workplace will be in McLean, VA, however I may have clients in and around D.C.

I literally know nothing about D.C. I have tried reading the forums to figure out the cool places for young professionals to live and then pin pointing those on a map however it is quite a challenge. The problem I am having is that people name areas like Arlington, but don't give specifics of where to live in Arlington. I don't want to live in a dull place.

I have heard I should live on a metro line, however the metro also confuses me as I grew up in a rural area. I have tried looking on their website but the map is overwhelming.

I guess I am just looking for ideas to help me narrow down my search. I am 22 year old male so I would like to be around other young people/ professionals. I am looking to pay no more than $1400 (that may be naive?). I am also trying to decide if I should even bother with keeping my car and just stick with the metro.

I'm not sure what other information I can give as I am new to this forum. If you think I need to give more information please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM

2,084 posts, read 3,561,752 times
If you're working in McLean, you are definitely going to want to keep your car. There is no metro line out there (yet). One is being built, but don't hold your breath, and besides, McLean and its environs is a very suburban, spread-out area anyway, so even with a metro you'll need a car to get around conveniently.

The other thing you need to know is that DC has by some accounts the worst traffic congestion in the country. As a result, you have to look at distances differently than you do elsewhere. A few miles that you would ordinarily think could be a quick drive can be a brutal slog when you're inching in traffic.

With that said, McLean is 10 miles from DC. From most people I've heard that even though in theory this is a "reverse commute" (against traffic) it is still a pretty long drive in rush hour. For that reason, I would suggest that unless you have some really really big overriding reason why you want to live in DC proper, that you instead try to live closer to work. That means the Virginia suburbs, which is colloquially known as "Northern Virginia."

There is a dedicated forum on city data for Northern Virginia. If you want to live there and have a relatively short commute, I suggest you post on that forum because the people that check that forum are very knowledgeable about the suburbs, as opposed to this forum where people know more about the city.

Here is the other forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM

After a little more research, the commenters on this blog suggest that a drive from most parts of DC to Tysons Corner will take about 45 minutes to an hour:

PoPville » Dear PoPville – Commuting to Tyson’s Corner

I'm assuming that your office is near Tysons Corner since that's the big employment area out that way.

So if you think 45 to an hour drive one way a day is doable... then maybe consider DC. If not, focus on the Clarendon, Ballston, Virginia Square, and Courthouse corridor along the Orange Line in Arlington. That's the most popular part of Arlington for singles in their 20s. It has a (somewhat true) reputation for being very yuppie and fratty.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM

I will check out that other forum and ask there too. And yeah I am trying to avoid commute time. I had heard Arlington orange was good. That may also be beneficial depending on whether or not I have clients in the city. How much should I expect to pay in rent?

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM

161 posts, read 394,246 times
One of my friends commuted to Tyson's for some time - from Rosslyn (Arlington) to Tysons usually took at least 40 minutes taking 66 during rush hour. It's even longer if there's an accident, if its raining, or even remotely bad weather. But probably less than 20 minutes with no traffic

I think living in Arlington might be a good compromise for you. Yeah, it is a little yuppie and fratty but it's convenient, a little easier to have a car there, and you can hop onto the metro into DC whenever you want! And depending on your job you might not be in the Tyson's office a lot anyways, so no need to live super close to work.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Are there certain places of Arlington that are better than others? Like I don't know where in Arlington I should be looking for an apartment.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall21 View Post
Are there certain places of Arlington that are better than others? Like I don't know where in Arlington I should be looking for an apartment.
Did you read the last two sentences of my last post? I described the areas of Arlington popular for young single professionals.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,521,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall21 View Post
Check out Ballston and Clarendon... That's where you'll find most of the yuppies in Arlington. Shirlington is good too but its not on a metro line, however there are numerous express buses that takes you to Pentagon station.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Ah for some reason it did not register to me that those places are IN Arlington

Thank you very much for your help!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM

837 posts, read 1,795,355 times
Arlington. Its full of people your age. 22 at a big4 you'll be clearing $70, $80K a year i imagine, you'll be fine.

For what its worth, I do the DC to Tysons commute daily. Takes me 25 minutes on a normal day. My speed run record is 16 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC