Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times

Advertisements

Absolutely insane the amount of $ for a 1 bedroom at the Aria. $1900? Does that even include utilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Trinidad is not as bad as it was a mere four or five years ago. Back then, people were getting killed left and right in Trinidad. Literally dozens of people were killed in the tiny neighborhood in 2008. This was in 2008, not 1991. A bunch of people were murdered in the span of a few hours in one day in Trinidad four or five years ago. They killed a little thirteen year old kid visiting from out of town for no reason that year in 2008.

BBC NEWS | Americas | 'Killing time' in Washington DC

But the fast gentrification of H street is turning the whole area around. Trinidad is lightyears safer today. It seems gentrification has evicted the Grim Reaper from the hood.

Trinidad: Crime Concern to Hot Neighborhood in 3 Years | NBC4 Washington

I still wouldn't be caught slipping around H Street, or anywhere in NE for that matter, after midnight. There are still weirdos and crazy sociopathic ghetto people living in the area who aren't exactly fond of white yuppies. But there are white people living in Trinidad these days. I saw some white yuppie types chatting in their front yard after midnight while walking back to my car in the outskirts of Trinidad near H Street a few months ago. But yuppies are not always safe in newly gentrifying areas that used to be some of the most violent areas in North America only a handful of years ago. Although incidents like this are statistically rare, they do occur on the streets of NE DC:

Jason Anthony Emma shot, killed by Capitol Hill | WJLA.com
lol I didn't think people still subscribed to the NW = good NE = bad concept

Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucago View Post
When we went back to my neighborhood in Chicago, he walked to the Green Line through Washington Park (not safe) with his iphone out, lollygagging all the way.... Some friends and I were just in DC over the weekend, and the bus drove along H street -- so that's the only impression I have of the area. I thought it was vaguely reminiscent of Logan Square back in the Chi -- gritty here and there, obviously gentrifying in parts, possibly a healthy amount of hipsters buzzing around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee1000 View Post
There definitely has been snatch-the-cell-phone crime around H St, so, if your boyfriend is the not-so-street smart type, walking around H St proper can be a dicey proposition. I definitely keep my head up when I'm walking around here at all times.
Yeah, as a previous resident of both Hyde Park and Logan Square (plus some months in Morningside Heights), I'd say that your instincts are pretty good and his instincts are less good. Robbery (mugging) is more common here than in Chicago, which I personally find to be more discomfiting and personally dangerous than the constant-sniping turf wars that go on at the edge of gentrifying neighborhoods in Chicago.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 9,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I still wonder if the streetcar was really even helpful in pushing H Street along. I've always thought that area would gentrify quickly because there aren't too many more areas with houses like this, especially in such close proximity to Downtown and Capitol Hill. H Street is also one of the few extensive commercial corridors in the city, so it seems like it would have gentrified quickly without a streetcar.
Also, the area north of F Street NE is out of the reaches of the Capitol Hill Restoration Society (chrs.org) which administers the Capitol Hill Historic District which has many restrictions on new building heights and size and also preserving the exterior nature of the building, commercial and residential. There is almost one apartment building online with a Giant grocery store and some other retail (360H Street Apartment Rentals) with a few more high rise buildings planned, which will offer even more ground level retail. The Whole Foods mentioned earlier which makes sense since they can serve Capitol Hill on H St and have a normal sized store, something that is impossible to build within the historic district. WF certainly changed Logan Circle for the better after they opened one there, now it is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in DC.

So, H St does have a lot going for it right now even without the trolley, although the development will only accelerate once it is running (hopefully early 2014).

Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
It's funny, whenever my rent went up and I had to move, I never thought of myself as 'displaced'. Nor do I believe that market forces that drive prices existed to discourage me from moving somewhere. That's just life.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
It's funny, whenever my rent went up and I had to move, I never thought of myself as 'displaced'. Nor do I believe that market forces that drive prices existed to discourage me from moving somewhere. That's just life.
I also wonder how many people have actually been displaced. It's not really that Section 8 renters have been given the boot all around the city. It's just that there's been a whole lot of construction in those neighborhoods. Potomac Gardens is still sitting there strong as condo building after condo building goes up within a quarter mile radius of it. Look at all of the stuff that's been built in Columbia Heights around buildings primarily occupied by low-income residents.

And some people just sell their homes. That's not displacement either.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
now the investors are gunning for pg county.
whatever price you bid, they raise even
higher, so you can't win.

i mean everything is sweet for some people,
but they don't like you to bring up the bitter
reality. it fries their brain.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
now the investors are gunning for pg county.
whatever price you bid, they raise even
higher, so you can't win.

i mean everything is sweet for some people,
but they don't like you to bring up the bitter
reality. it fries their brain.
Well, here's one way to look at it...

We are fortunate to live in a country and in a time that at least forces the privileged to account for the less privileged on some basic level. Is it as good as it could be? No. But it's better than being a serf and left to die from hunger as the aristocracy lives the good life. We are all living the good life compared to what people endured just a hundred years ago.

So, yeah. I think getting a pretty much guaranteed rent subsidy every month is a good deal. Could be worse.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
you get a rent susidy? if so, good for you,
because I don't get jack. I don't think
people should have to worry about where
they will live, just because some cheapskate
investor wants to hog up all the available
space for upper class people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: