Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,514 times

Advertisements

Try to set up a carpool. Trade off driving.
Can you go to a 4 day work week. I hear it is the new trend for the feds.

If you buy a second car you will probably buy something cheap that you hate and leave your nice ride at home. So you will be spending 2-3 hours in misery to keep a car you like from getting older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM

23 posts, read 48,152 times
I think that is easy to say when you stay in DC. I commute to DC.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM

23 posts, read 48,152 times
That is a good point. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM

199 posts, read 334,070 times
Based off your post history, you're living in Triangle I take it? If so the advice already posted by several people to take VRE should be seriously considered since you're right next to the Quantico stop. It's not cheap ($240 for a monthly pass to Union Station), but parking is free at the station, it'll definitely save your car's mileage, and it will be a LOT more relaxing riding the train with a newspaper or book than sitting in traffic.

Last edited by Opacy; 03-08-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Try this Commuter Connections

and this Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC

Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 AM

12 posts, read 24,280 times
Move near your work? I don't know many people who work for the same employer for several years. If one moved near where they worked, they would be moving every couple of years no?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success81 View Post
I just got a job in DC and although I am very excited about it. But I am not excited about putting all these miles on my crossover vehicle. It is crazy. I just purchased this car and I am only getting 25 miles per gallon and I just see my miles ticking up. I think that in a few years I will be at 75,000 easy. I was thinking about buying a cheap commute car. Does anyone have this same problem? Have you purchased a commute car? Any advise would help. Thanks.
Commuting sucks, you have to find a job that lets you work from home or move into the city.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
Washington has one of the highest levels of extreme commutes in the nation - The Washington Post
very long commutes in the dc area are very common-i hope you find a solution to your problem

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacy View Post
Based off your post history, you're living in Triangle I take it? If so the advice already posted by several people to take VRE should be seriously considered since you're right next to the Quantico stop. It's not cheap ($240 for a monthly pass to Union Station), but parking is free at the station, it'll definitely save your car's mileage, and it will be a LOT more relaxing riding the train with a newspaper or book than sitting in traffic.
If this is true, there is a VRE option, slug option, and commuter bus option. If that doesn't work than carpooling is the last option. To directly answer OPs original question...no, do not get a beater car. If it were me and I chose to drive, I would do like my friend in Dumfries did and buy a hybrid (yes, you may need to trade in your main car) with no intentions of reselling it. Hybrid cars do a soft shut down when idling so you would not be using any gas if you aren't moving.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
D.C. has the second best transportation system in the country. There is no reason why that commute should be "killing" you.

There's no reason to own (or use) a car, is what I'm saying.
I disagree entirely. New York then Chicago, then SLC. DC public transport is expensive, and incredibly inefficient. Having lived in the above areas, it's my opinion DC needs an infrastructure enema.

My advice is learn to ride a motorcycle. I commute from Dumfries to northwest DC in under an hour. Not only do you get better gas mileage than a hybrid, you take up less space on the freeway. Granted, every Prius driver is trying to kill you from their lack of spacial awareness.

If you a in a suit like me, you can pick up an all weather riding suit for $400. Regardless of weather conditions you'll show up neatly pressed and dry. Keep an extra pair of dress shoes at the office so you can utilize a safety rated all weather boot and keep dry. Heated gear also keeps you warm. When it snows, take a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC